The Student Room Group

WHERE/HOW to start??!?! Help!

Hi!
I'm 22 years old and I've already graduated in my country (EU) and I'm in the UK 3 months already (gap year). I'd like to do master degree here in 2012 but I'm really worried about tuition fee(s).

So, I'm already doing on my translations. I have:
-3 reference letters from my jobs (government, ministry, one statement company)
-2 reference letters from professors
-diploma (BA)
-certificate, that i was a tutor at my UNI
-certificate, that i was a volunteer at WorldsSkills London

SO, for master degree, do you think my references will help me at all?? Do you think I EVEN have a chance to get a scholarship?? I'm not the citizen of UK (but am of EU!) and my parents earn 800€ (together) per month.
I have to start to looking for my UNI cus I still don't know where to apply. And I NEED to get a scholarship!!

Oh, I'd like to apply for Eurpean studies or sth like that (in general, policy). We don't have "A" system in our country but grades from 1-10. And I've graduated with 8.

PLEASE, ANY ADVICE/SUGGESTION?
Get a job to help facilitate the payment of a course.
Reply 2
I'm already working but I can't save that much money!! It's easy to say...
Original post by Jolene.S
I'm already working but I can't save that much money!! It's easy to say...

There are, unfortunately, not many scholarships for master's study in the UK, many are linked to PhD study, and many of those will not be available to you as a non-UK citizen (or at least will be fees-only).

I think a good bet for you would be to see what is available in your home country to study abroad (for example, a Chevening scholarship if you are from the Balkans and thereabouts).

What do you want to study/where are you interested in going, and where are you from originally?
Reply 4
Well, I'd just like to know how many chances I have to get the scholarship!!
Maybe I can get scholarship from my country but if I'd get it, I'd have to go back after I'd finish my degree for 3 years (working there) and I'm not sure if I'd like to go ever back. I'm from from the south central Europe.

As I said above, I'd like to study European studies (or sth like that). :smile:
Reply 5
Unfortunately, they only thing I can suggest is, as already mentioned, working as long as necessary before you have enough to pay for the course you like. There are almost no scholarships out there for master's degrees, even less if you are not a UK resident (you would have to live in the UK for three years to become a resident, I believe). The other option is to go for a PhD, which should normally be funded by a research council or your university/department. There are some 'special' scholarships such as Gates at Cambridge and the like, which may be worth checking out (but the deadline for 2012 is already over), but bear in mind that the competition is fierce and you won't stand a chance unless you graduated with a top grade at an elite institution.
Reply 6
Make a shortlist of universities with courses that suit you, look on their websites to see if there are any scholarships that you qualify for and email the course directors asking for their advice. (It is quite likely that there won't be much, but worth asking)
Reply 7
Original post by Ghost6
Unfortunately, they only thing I can suggest is, as already mentioned, working as long as necessary before you have enough to pay for the course you like. There are almost no scholarships out there for master's degrees, even less if you are not a UK resident (you would have to live in the UK for three years to become a resident, I believe). The other option is to go for a PhD, which should normally be funded by a research council or your university/department. There are some 'special' scholarships such as Gates at Cambridge and the like, which may be worth checking out (but the deadline for 2012 is already over), but bear in mind that the competition is fierce and you won't stand a chance unless you graduated with a top grade at an elite institution.

It is stiff and top grades are necessary, but the elite institution bit isn't. I know someone who got a Cambridge scholarship (I think it was a Cambridge Overseas Trust one but not sure) for an MPhil, from undergrad at a uni ranked around 500 globally (he subsequently did his PhD at Cambridge too). Obviously your personal statements and references for such funding is key too, not just the grades. My friend was in the sciences though and apparently funding is easier to get for that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sj27
It is stiff and top grades are necessary, but the elite institution bit isn't. I know someone who got a Cambridge scholarship (I think it was a Cambridge Overseas Trust one but not sure) for an MPhil, from undergrad at a uni ranked around 500 globally (he subsequently did his PhD at Cambridge too). Obviously your personal statements and references for such funding is key too, not just the grades. My friend was in the sciences though and apparently funding is easier to get for that?

That being said a quick look the this year's Rhodes scholars (for Americans only?) indicates that at least half of them attended schools such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford.
Reply 9
Original post by Ghost6
That being said a quick look the this year's Rhodes scholars (for Americans only?) indicates that at least half of them attended schools such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford.

Rhodes scholarships are not only for Americans - if you look at the link I posted somewhere on the Rhodes Scholars thread there is a fuller list of the scholars, and I am sure you will not recognise the names of most of the universities that many of the non-US scholars graduated from :smile:

Also if I may be pedantic, even looking only at the US, half does not mean all need to be from elite schools! :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by sj27
Rhodes scholarships are not only for Americans - if you look at the link I posted somewhere on the Rhodes Scholars thread there is a fuller list of the scholars, and I am sure you will not recognise the names of most of the universities that many of the non-US scholars graduated from :smile:

Also if I may be pedantic, even looking only at the US, half does not mean all need to be from elite schools! :wink:

By no means not, I was just trying to inform the OP what can of competition he will face when applying for the few scholarships available.
Reply 11
Well, Norway and Sweden for example still have free masters programmes for EU members. Scotland also has a lot of them for free, even though not all of them. That could be an option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending