The Student Room Group

Why is Elvis so popular even though he didn't write any of his own songs?

Elvis Presley recorded over 600 songs during his lifetime, but he didn't write any of them. Why is he so popular? Given the fact he didn't write any of his own songs, he cannot be considered to be an artist, but merely a performer. That being the case, he doesn't deserve the popularity he attained. A true artist is a musician who can sit down and write their own songs, their own lyrics, own music, etc. So why is he so popular? I don't get it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rock and roll did not exist in the white consciousness until Elvis Presley brought it into acceptance. He was a trailblazer of modern popular music - all popular music since has spawned solely from his courage to bring that kind of music into the white world. If you watch him perform right at the start of his career, every little vocal quirk, every little dance move, may seem so simple to us but when they happened, you've gotta remember that people had NEVER heard or seen a man do such things before. He was an originator, he was unique, he courted controversy.

In American popular music of the day, it was the system that music was made like mass produced items - people were put in roles that they were best in to make music quicker. Not many musicians were lucky enough to perform their own songs and not many singers /performers were allowed (even if they were talented enough) to control their own musical output. I suspect Elvis was a victim to this. Today we are taught to scoff at people who perform music that wasn't written by themselves. I think Elvis was an artist because his singing provoked an emotional response in many people then, and still does today.
Reply 2
What's green and sings?

Spoiler

Reply 3
Painters rarely make their own paint.
Reply 4
Original post by misst911

Plenty of singers write their own songs. Almost no painters make their own paint.

And in artistic (or any) terms, the paint is like sound, the painting is like the song.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

That's a false analogy. A painter always paints their own paintings. A musician should write their own music. The paint is the equivalent of the musical instrument. Usually painters don't make their own paint, just as musicians don't usually make their own musical instruments. But in either case, the painter and the musician both create their own art. The point is, Elvis never created anything. He was just a performer; a puppet singing someone else's songs, yet he took all the credit.

Your analogy really is idiotic. Next time, THINK about what you're saying before you write!
Reply 6
Original post by Kink

In American popular music of the day, it was the system that music was made like mass produced items - people were put in roles that they were best in to make music quicker. Not many musicians were lucky enough to perform their own songs and not many singers /performers were allowed (even if they were talented enough) to control their own musical output. I suspect Elvis was a victim to this.
Today we are taught to scoff at people who perform music that wasn't written by themselves.

Not much has changed then, with all these **** programs such as X Factor, American Idol, etc where nobody writes any of their own songs at all...they merely perform bad cover versions of other peoples' cheesy pop songs.

Original post by Kink
I think Elvis was an artist because his singing provoked an emotional response in many people then, and still does today.

No, an artist is someone who CREATES something. Elvis didn't create any music. He was a good PERFORMER....but an artist he was not.
Reply 7
Some people are good a singing but not songwriting, some people are good at songwriting but not singing, some are good at both.

It's not hard. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Raving_Hippy

No, an artist is someone who CREATES something. Elvis didn't create any music. He was a good PERFORMER....but an artist he was not.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Theres a certain art in interpreting music differently. The writer of his music may not have written it the way Elvis performed it so surely it was Elvis's interpretation and the way he sang it to the audience that made the music artful.
Reply 9
Neither did Frank Sinatra, but they were both good performers in their own right and deserve credit for that. They delivered the music in a way that most wouldn't be able to.
Reply 10
That's a false analogy. A painter always paints their own paintings. A musician should write their own music. The paint is the equivalent of the musical instrument. Usually painters don't make their own paint, just as musicians don't usually make their own musical instruments. But in either case, the painter and the musician both create their own art. The point is, Elvis never created anything. He was just a performer; a puppet singing someone else's songs, yet he took all the credit.

Your analogy really is idiotic. Next time, THINK about what you're saying before you write!

Firstly, I was describing the paint as the music, not the instruments, and the painter as the musician. I am very sorry that you didn't
understand that.
Can't apologise more that my analogy seems to have offended you.
Kind of an unhappy misunderstanding, don't you think?

Your description of my analogy, and therefore myself, does insult me somewhat. It's a shame you had to resort to calling me an idiot.
Oh well, I am certain I shall recover.
Unfortunate we had this disagreement though.
Reply 11
Original post by Raiden10
Plenty of singers write their own songs. Almost no painters make their own paint.

And in artistic (or any) terms, the paint is like sound, the painting is like the song.

What I'm saying is, they take something and turn it into their own.
Reply 12
Firstly, I was describing the paint as the music, not the instruments, and the painter as the musician. I am very sorry that you didn't
understand that.
Can't apologise more that my analogy seems to have offended you.
Kind of an unhappy misunderstanding, don't you think?

Your description of my analogy, and therefore myself, does insult me somewhat. It's a shame you had to resort to calling me an idiot.
Oh well, I am certain I shall recover.
Unfortunate we had this disagreement though.

You ARE an idiot. No, it wasn't a 'misunderstanding', but it was a false analogy on your behalf. Let me explain...

The paint is not the music. The paint is what the painter uses to create a picture with. In the same way, the musical instrument is what the musician uses to create the music. Therefore the paint is the equivalent to the musical instrument, i.e. it's the tool used to create the art.

In summary, here are the equivalents....

The paint = the musical instrument
The painter = the musician
The picture = the music

You must be ****ing thick if you don't understand this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
You ARE an idiot. No, it wasn't a 'misunderstanding', but it was a false analogy on your behalf. Let me explain...

The paint is not the music. The paint is what the painter uses to create a picture with. In the same way, the musical instrument is what the musician uses to create the music. Therefore the paint is the equivalent to the musical instrument, i.e. it's the tool used to create the art.

The picture = the music

Why are you so het up about this??
I think she knows what her own analogy was about more than you :curious:

Calm the **** down.

Yes, Elvis didn't write any of his own songs but he performed them well. Lots of actors and actresses we admire didn't write their own films yet we still admire them.

Performance is still an art, it's just different to writing songs/music.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Lets be honest, who actually cares, except you?

He's dead now anyway so it doesn't even matter xD

The picture = the music

Jeez man... Pull yourself together :lolwut:
Reply 16
I think this will answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEsGf0PMXNc&feature=related
Reply 17
Elvis was a great performer and that's what people paid to see - does it even matter that he didn't write his own songs?
He's not alone, though, is he?

E: He "co-wrote" about 8 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:s-smilie:ongs_written_by_Elvis_Presley
Reply 19
At least he didnt write crap. He knew he was no good so paid extra cash for others to do it for him. I call that being a artist, a artist with a good artist eye and knows what's good.

:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest