The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes, it's changed - those of us who started in 2011 and were eligible got £1250 last year; I haven't received my bursary letter yet, but I imagine it will be roughly the same. I think they've removed the info for 2011 starters from the website though!

Is it best to get a "unirider" before we get there or after?

Should we bother getting any fresher's tickets before we get there or not? Will they run out if we don't? Where do we get them? How much do they cost?

How much money should we bring for fresher's?
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 221
Original post by 4RealBlud

Should we bother getting any fresher's tickets before we get there or not? Will they run out if we don't? Where do we get them? How much do they cost?

uni riders start on saturday!

roll on 10 months of travel....
Reply 222
Original post by dj1015
uni riders start on saturday!

roll on 10 months of travel....

This saturday?
Reply 223
This saturday?

Yes, you can still get them later. Or in parts over the whole year.

Its £200 if you get it in a oner. Or £230 total if you buy it as 3 separate parts over the year. These are the online prices. I think the prices at freshers maybe structured differently.

If you buy it online and have it delivered (they come within 5 days) then it's £199 rather than the £215 you'll pay if you buy it in person in the halls / at freshers fair. If I were you (and I had the cash available before my student loan came in) then I'd buy it now and have it delivered to my home address, or halls if you leave it less than 5 days before you go. It's valid from 1st September - 30th June.

Wait until you get there to buy freshers tickets - not only is everyone and their dog on facebook claiming to have 'official' tickets when they don't, you don't want to get there and find out that your flatmates are doing something entirely different. They really won't run out, although I'd suggest getting them fairly rapidly after you arrive at halls. You can get them from your hall's residents association - last year my hall's RA set up a stand in the same room where you collect keys. Last year they were about £45, which included the tickets for the whole week, a t-shirt, a wristband and a pair of geek glasses for the fancy dress 'geek night'.

In terms of money - it's a very variable thing. Bring enough for tickets, do a lot of pre-drinking, try not to drink too much whilst you're out (that's where the major expense lies) and bring any fancy dress items you already have from home.
Reply 225
Original post by taylorg292
Anyone on a gap year now and going to Manc this Sept? I'm worried I'm going to be old compared to everyone, hardly anyone took a gap year this year :/

I did. Don't worry, people go to Manchester at all ages, 1 year isn't going to make much difference.
This is very helpful:

http://www.unibuspass.com/unirider-manchester/

Its worth getting this pass as it allows unlimited travel between all the student areas.
Reply 227
When are we gonna get our fresher's packs? It's been ages!
Reply 228
When are we gonna get our fresher's packs? It's been ages!

September 3rd :smile:
Hey. I've just been offered my accommodation and I've been put in Owens tree court which was my last preference so bit gutted but does it make a difference that I'm at tree court over the tower and where does everyone pre drink and mingle when the kitchen iS non existent?! Thanks I'm worrying a bit haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Brionyjadeclark
Hey. I've just been offered my accommodation and I've been put in Owens tree court which was my last preference so bit gutted but does it make a difference that I'm at tree court over the tower and where does everyone pre drink and mingle when the kitchen iS non existent?! Thanks I'm worrying a bit haha

The kitchen IS existent, it is just incredibly small. You do get common rooms, though, and this is where I've done my pre drinking and mingling whenever I visited tree court (I had a friend living there). It is also better than the tower imo as it does have a feeling of extra security (you have a gate to go through to get to tree court, then the building's door, as opposed to the tower where the first hindrance is the entrance door to the building) and you won't have loads of uninvited guests aiming to do the tower challenge.
Reply 231
When I was applying to accommodation at Manchester University, all I found about Owens Park online was scathing reviews. I ended up going with my gut instinct and applying there, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. While it may look old and dated, there isn't a better place that you could be if you're a student at Manchester. It is the social hub of the Fallowfield campus, packed with students. The layout of the halls (excluding Tower which is a little different) sees you share as a block of 30 (three floors of 10), with each floor designated to a gender. Each floor shares two toilets, two showers and a small kitchen for cooking at weekends. The food is better than what i would be cooking alternatively. Everyone gets the bus from here to uni (its far worse being at a campus nearer to the uni buildings - you'll have no social life with any flatmates there). The social opportunities are endless and you will meet amazing amazing friends. It was the best year of my life. Thankfully I wasn't put off by the people slating it. I had so much fun and managed to balance that with a demanding course too. The people I know who lived in Victoria Park campus or City campus had no friends in halls as everyone was apparently terribly antisocial. Maybe the sort of people writing those reviews are the type who want to complete their course without leaving the library or having an iota of fun? I could not recommend Owens Park enough.
I got my place in Opal Hall a couple of days ago, but I don't really know that much about the place, can anyone fill me in a bit? On sociability, noise etc.
Original post by StrongBelwas
I got my place in Opal Hall a couple of days ago, but I don't really know that much about the place, can anyone fill me in a bit? On sociability, noise etc.

heyy..im in opal hall too..which room are you in?
Have no idea how the rooms are going to be though :/
Original post by bobby9323
heyy..im in opal hall too..which room are you in?
Have no idea how the rooms are going to be though :/

Hi, I'm in 02.B41, in one of the 6 or 7 people rooms. What about you?
Original post by StrongBelwas
Hi, I'm in 02.B41, in one of the 6 or 7 people rooms. What about you?

Im in 01.A05. What course are you doing?
hello!I am George Kenyon Hall and I really have no complaints at all. Room and bathroom may be a little tinny but is definetly worthy, you save money from the bus and can stay much longer in library or learning commons for your essays/studying. ALSO, a tip to keep in mind for new students, you can always order online from ASDA, they will deliver the food for one pound :smile: so you can save much time on that!
Never wear your good heels to Antwerp :lol:
Original post by caballero.calle
hello!I am George Kenyon Hall and I really have no complaints at all. Room and bathroom may be a little tinny but is definetly worthy, you save money from the bus and can stay much longer in library or learning commons for your essays/studying. ALSO, a tip to keep in mind for new students, you can always order online from ASDA, they will deliver the food for one pound :smile: so you can save much time on that!

What is George Kenyon like? I have applied for the deluxe room as my first choice but the pictures look really tiny and I am unsure. Also, how often is the communal cleaning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending