The Student Room Group

The interview discussion & help thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Last Thursday I found out that I have my first interview at the IOE for PGCE Secondary History for this coming Thursday (13th March). I have been told on the day that there will be three tasks, and then those who are successful in the three tasks will then be shortlisted for a personal interview that same day. The tasks that I have to do are: a presentation of 5 minutes on a historical topic, a group discussion and written task in which we have to assess/comment on a pupil's work. However, I am a bit worried and confused about these three tasks, as the information that they provided on my interview email is quite unclear. Below is more information (as quoted from the letter) on what I am supposed to do on the day:

"The first section of the day, for all invited applicants, will involve three short tasks and these will be observed by two members of the selection panel.

1. A 5 minute presentation of an idea that you have prepared in advance, describing and explaining a short sequence of lessons (3-5) focused on a historical topic to be taught to a Key Stage 3 class, centred on key questions. You should pay particular attention to how one of the lessons would be taught, and the others should be sketched in outline only. Careful consideration should be given to the historical thinking you would want the students to develop, and their engagement with the learning. The presentations will be observed by other applicants (approximately 5) as well as selection panel members. Note that you can choose any topic and that it does not need to match the current National Curriculum for history - it can be a topic not commonly taught in schools. During the presentation we will be looking for your ability to structure a short presentation, to present in a lively, confident and engaging fashion, to use your subject knowledge constructively and to show some understanding of what might be appropriate for 11-14 year olds. We do not expect you to demonstrate a deep knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning approaches. There will be no computer access on the day of the interview. You may use handouts (though you are not required to do so) but please keep these to a minimum.

2. A short group discussion about two accounts of a historical event, which will be given to you on the day.

3. An individual timed written task, in which you will be asked to assess and comment on a piece of written work from a Key Stage 3 student. "

I am particularly worried about the first and third activities. With the first activity where I have to do a presentation on a sequence of lessons on a historical topic in 5 minutes, does this mean that I have to basically plan a scheme of work for 3 lessons and the activities I would use in 5 minutes? Also as it mentions that "you should pay particular attention to how one of the lessons would be taught, and the others should be sketched in outline only", I was just wondering what this exactly might mean? My initial interpretation of it was that I have to explain one lesson in depth for maybe 2 out of 5 minutes with teaching activities (with reasons why I am using them), and then just a list of what I would cover in subsequent 2 or 3 lesson, but I am very confused and worried about this. Also, as it mentions that my presentation should be structured, although I understand i will most probably have to have an intro, main body (being the lessons) and conclusion/summary, does anyone have any ideas as to how many minutes I could possibly allocate to each part? Also, with the third activity where it asks applicants to assess and mark a KS3 student's work, does anyone have any ideas or experience of this type of activity, and what it is asking to be done here - whether it is a simple case of writing over student's work with comments, giving them level descriptors etc?

Apologies for asking a lot of questions here, but as it is my first interview, I am very confused and worried about the kinds of things interviewers are looking out for. I would be very grateful if someone could please help me with this, and provide possible advice/tips, as it would really be beneficial to me. It would also be beneficial to hear from people (who did get interviews) what kind of environment it is (e.g. relaxed, formal, friendly etc.)

Hi,

I've just found out I have interviews for Secondary Science with Biology at Chichester and Portsmouth. Has anybody had interviews there before? Any tips on what to expect?

Reply 502
I have an interview for Portsmouth (MFL) on the 25th and Birmingham (MFL) on the 26th! It's going to be a bit stressful but the only bit I'm really worried about is the micro teaching task for Portsmouth.
We have to prepare a ten minute lesson on a hobby, skill or interest! I'm completely at a loss at what to do! I don't really have many hobbies, none of which I can see working. And interest wise I like music, reading and tv so I don't really see how that'd fit. Any advice?
Original post by maypv
I have an interview for Portsmouth (MFL) on the 25th and Birmingham (MFL) on the 26th! It's going to be a bit stressful but the only bit I'm really worried about is the micro teaching task for Portsmouth.
We have to prepare a ten minute lesson on a hobby, skill or interest! I'm completely at a loss at what to do! I don't really have many hobbies, none of which I can see working. And interest wise I like music, reading and tv so I don't really see how that'd fit. Any advice?

How did it go today at Portsmouth? I have mine tomorrow and I'm so nervous!
Reply 504
Does anyone else have an interview for Primary tomorrow at IOE?

I do and I'm quite nervous about the presentation part. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Last week I received an email explaining that I have an interview for a School Direct Secondary History course in late April. I have been told that along with a personal interview, I will have to do a 20-25 minute presentation and a 20-25 group discussion with Year 9 students on a historical topic (The Cold War). However, as the email information is still quite vague, I am quite confused about the last two tasks.

The presentation topic is: 'Why do I want to be Teacher?' However, as this is 20-25 minutes long, I am quite worried as to what to do for this. Obviously I have certain personal reasons for wanting to be a teacher, but I expected this sort of thing to come up in the one-to-one interview (which is something that I imagine could be answered in a maximum of 5 minutes and so am a bit shocked that they are asking me just to focus on this question for a whole presentation and a 25 minute presentation at that). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to maybe how this presentation topic could possibly be approached (i.e. in terms of the structure, and the kinds of things that could be discussed more specifically)? Its just that that even if I bring in evidence/examples to help explain my reasons for wanting to teach, my main worry is that I will fall well short of the 20 minutes that they are asking me to do this in.

Also, with the group discussion with students, has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing for a School Direct interview? If so, does anyone have any ideas as to what this might entail (e.g could this require me to create my own discussion questions for pupils on the topic to be discussed, or will there be questions/objectives already set by the interviewer on the day)? Also does anyone think that they are expecting me to know the historical topic in depth?

Also does any one have any experience of what a School Direct interview is like in general compared to a university PGCE interview (e.g. in terms of the atmosphere, the amount of candidates on the day etc.)? If so, I would be grateful to hear your experiences.

I would be grateful if someone could please help me with this. I apologize for asking lots of questions but I am worried as it is my first School Direct interview and so do not really know what quite to expect.

Reply 506
I have been told that I need to bring in an object of my choice and give a 20 min lesson on it to a year 3 or 4 class. It can be anything I want. Due to the fact that it's so diverse I am actually having difficulties deciding what object to use. At this moment in time I really wish I played an instrument. Any suggestions would be greatly received :smile:
Hi, I got an email on Monday from UCAS saying I had an interview on 30th April and that if my uni did not get in contact with me shortly I should email them for details. The uni never got in contact with me so I emailed them on Wed but got no reply. I'm slightly worried now. Do I have to accept the interview on UCAS or something? Help.
Hi crashpepperoni, have you check in your junk mail? I have an interview on the 30th April and was wondering as well as not heard from them but just found the email in in my junk folder. If not don't worry some universities maybe on Easter break and may not have anyone checking email.
Reply 509
Original post by crashpepperoni
Hi, I got an email on Monday from UCAS saying I had an interview on 30th April and that if my uni did not get in contact with me shortly I should email them for details. The uni never got in contact with me so I emailed them on Wed but got no reply. I'm slightly worried now. Do I have to accept the interview on UCAS or something? Help.

That happened to me! They rescheduled my interview as I didn't get details of a time or even location. Sometimes I think the communication between UCAS and schools/universities is slack.
Can some kind soul help me please? I have an interview at University of Manchester in few days for PGCE Secondary Mathematics. I will really appreciate if you can give me some info regarding the interview and what kind of questions they asked? I am also worried how I can best make use of my school experience during the interview?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 511
Original post by Khubseerat
Can some kind soul help me please? I have an interview at University of Manchester in few days for PGCE Secondary Mathematics. I will really appreciate if you can give me some info regarding the interview and what kind of questions they asked? I am also worried how I can best make use of my school experience during the interview?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi
I am planing to apply for PGCE Secondary Mathematics as well and would really appreciate if you can share some information about the interview.
I haven't applied yet so maybe it's too late for this year, will have to try next year.
Did you study a maths degree? I did Engineering and graduated back in 2010 so I'm quite worried if that would be enough to get me in.
Thanks so much
Hi, I have an interview for this course tomorrow and I am incredibly nervous!

Just wondering if anyone else has done this course or has recently had an interview for this course or a similar one and can give me any pointers or advice?

As part of the interview I've had to prepare a 5 minute presentation about why my subject (Media Studies) is important in the Lifelong Learning sector (Further Education). I have just about completed this but I'm super duper nervous to present it.

The guide also says there will be a written task on the day but doesn't give any details.

If anyone knows anything about the interview and the tasks and can give me any tips, I'd be very grateful.

Mainly just wondering what the written task entails and whether or not I should be researching anything in particular as it doesn't say so.

Also does the interview/applicant day involve any English/Maths tests like others? It doesn't say so, so I doubt it.

Thanks in advance,
Terri
Hi, I am just applying for the Primary or Early Years PGCE.
If I get an interview at one of the school direct providers they will want me to take an item that is of interest to me. They then want me to share this with a group of children in an interactive session.
I wish I played an instrument or was into a particular sport.
What would you take? I really am struggling!!
Reply 514
Original post by Pineapple pie
Hi, I am just applying for the Primary or Early Years PGCE.
If I get an interview at one of the school direct providers they will want me to take an item that is of interest to me. They then want me to share this with a group of children in an interactive session.
I wish I played an instrument or was into a particular sport.
What would you take? I really am struggling!!

You could take a photograph of an exotic location (internet print out!), that would generate lots of discussion about where it is, who lives there, what is life like there, how is it different/the same as life where they live.

You could take a teddy/doll with a bandage on and discuss what happened and how the teddy/doll would get better, leading to a discussion about people that help us (younger kids prob easier for this)

A glass snowstorm thing (sorry can't remember the right word) and brainstorm words for winter, snow, cold etc, coming up with a little poem or story that you've written together...

Usually anything, even a pencil, can be used creatively. It's what you do with it, the ideas you generate and how you interact with the kids that counts, not about what an interesting person you are because you play rugby/the violin/own the mona lisa etc :smile:
Original post by Blou17
You could take a photograph of an exotic location (internet print out!), that would generate lots of discussion about where it is, who lives there, what is life like there, how is it different/the same as life where they live.

You could take a teddy/doll with a bandage on and discuss what happened and how the teddy/doll would get better, leading to a discussion about people that help us (younger kids prob easier for this)

A glass snowstorm thing (sorry can't remember the right word) and brainstorm words for winter, snow, cold etc, coming up with a little poem or story that you've written together...

Usually anything, even a pencil, can be used creatively. It's what you do with it, the ideas you generate and how you interact with the kids that counts, not about what an interesting person you are because you play rugby/the violin/own the mona lisa etc :smile:

Thank you, I know you are right, lots of good ideas there. Fingers crossed for an interview!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roseanna2
Hi,
I have a pgce english interview on the 4th March. I have been asked to prepare an oral presentation on what I think will be the biggest challenges I will face as a teacher. So far I have mentioned the ability to differentiate between pupil ability and the obvious problems with behaviour. Any other suggestions?
Also, can anyone fill me in on the current educational issues in England. I'm from wales and I'm unsure where to search.
Thanks x

Hi a good place to start would be the TES (Times Educational Supplement) online. Loads of forums etc as well as recent news :smile:
Hi guys, I've just received word from Bangor University that I've been invited to an interview on the 9th of December, next week! I'm so nervous -- does anyone have any advice about the interview process? I've found a lot of information about PGCE primary at Bangor, but I'm going in for PGCE secondary art and design and I've found exactly zero pieces of info on that.

I'm particularly nervous because I'm an international student from America and I already planned on flying into the UK to spend the holidays with family, but my flight is this Friday, so with my interview four days later I'm so not looking forward to still being jet-lagged!
Reply 518
Original post by sphealie
Hi guys, I've just received word from Bangor University that I've been invited to an interview on the 9th of December, next week! I'm so nervous -- does anyone have any advice about the interview process? I've found a lot of information about PGCE primary at Bangor, but I'm going in for PGCE secondary art and design and I've found exactly zero pieces of info on that.

I'm particularly nervous because I'm an international student from America and I already planned on flying into the UK to spend the holidays with family, but my flight is this Friday, so with my interview four days later I'm so not looking forward to still being jet-lagged!

Sphealie,
Well done on getting through to the interview stage! Making it this far is one of the toughest parts of the application process. I would suggest making yourself familiar with the art and design national curriculum, key stages 3 and 4. Show an awareness of the teacher standards, especially around differentiation, inclusion, progression and assessment. Just know what they mean really if you don't already. Most of all remember, they are not expecting you to be a 'teacher', they are looking for potential.

Good luck!
Original post by sakta
Sphealie,
Well done on getting through to the interview stage! Making it this far is one of the toughest parts of the application process. I would suggest making yourself familiar with the art and design national curriculum, key stages 3 and 4. Show an awareness of the teacher standards, especially around differentiation, inclusion, progression and assessment. Just know what they mean really if you don't already. Most of all remember, they are not expecting you to be a 'teacher', they are looking for potential.

Good luck!

Is it really? That's great, I feel much more confident now to hear that! I've begun studying up on current education issues in both England and Wales, which is somewhat daunting considering all the proposed reforms and also learning terms and acronyms that, having gone to American high school, I am not yet familiar with. At least I have (I think/hope!) a good idea for the art task that I have to do during the interview, so that's one thing down!

Thanks much for the advice! I'll certainly add all of that to my large (yet interesting, thankfully!) list of things to study up on! Good thing all these notes will give me something to read while I'm on the plane this Friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending