The Student Room Group

The interview discussion & help thread

This thread is for you to discuss PGCE/GTP/SCITT interviews and get help from other applicants.

All posts relating to "I have an interview and need to do XYZ" will be merged into this thread OR the thread for the relevant course/university.

This should hopefully ensure that we're not repeating ourselves constantly as its unlikely that only one person from TSR will have an interview for each course/university.

Good luck :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, has anyone applied to london southbank uni for a primary pgce?? i think i'm possibly the most nervous person in the world about the interview!! would be great if anyone could advise a few tips!!!:confused:
Hi, I have applied to London South Bank. Have they had the interviews yet? I havn't heard anything yet. I tried to phone the admissions person but he is on holiday. It's actually driving me crazy not knowing!
Reply 3
so glad someone else has applied!! I rang and sent an email, got a reply from Joe Mann before he went on holiday to say thay my application was being considered and that it would more than likely be early Jan before they would be able to inform people of interview dates etc!
I may have sounded a tad presumptious in assuming i would even get an interview with the above post!!
If i hear anything I'll post back and let you know!
Reply 4
Laura.c12345
Hi, I have applied to London South Bank. Have they had the interviews yet? I havn't heard anything yet. I tried to phone the admissions person but he is on holiday. It's actually driving me crazy not knowing!

I got an email from Joe Mann this morn letting me know that I have an interview on the 13th Jan!! If you would like info on the format of the interview let me know and I can email it to you! good luck!
Reply 5
I also have an interview at Southbank on the 13th Jan. Good luck everyone; I am nervous and going crazy :confused: :eek3:
Eek!
Any tips?
:smile:
Reply 6
Hi all,
I've got 2 interview coming up, and i'm so bloody worried haha.

First is Northumbria, 'Early Primary Education' which is a full day sorta thing with a group interview with presentations followed by a individual interview which nothing is specified about.

Second is Sunderland for BA Primary Education, which is similar with group interview and then questioning followed by a presentation on the topic 'What makes you think you will be able to deal with the challenges faced by a primary teacher?".

Has anyone had any experience of interviews at these unis or can offer any advice on the presentation... all help is greatly appreciated :eek3: .

Reply 7
I have the sunderland interview soon, no idea what its going to be like though! fingers crossed. :smile:
Reply 8
:smile: whens yours? mines the 3rd feb... i'm not sure how to prepare :woo:
Hi all,

I chose IoE (Institute of Education) as my first choice and finally after 2 months received a reply saying that I am unsuccessful in my application. I was shortlisted on Tuesday this week but I guess the competition level is extremely high and I didn't get through :frown:

My second choice is London South Bank Uni and GTTR said that i should get a reply by 12th of February - hoping it will be much sooner than that and it will be successful this time round.

Is anyone else in my boat of second round of applications at LSBU? And if you have had an interview with the university, what was it like? Do we need to do a maths/ english test, as well as a presentation? Are those tests for Primary six (KS3) level or GCSE level?

Any information will help. Thanks mucho

Anjali
Reply 10
Is anyone else in my boat of second round of applications at LSBU? And if you have had an interview with the university, what was it like? Do we need to do a maths/ english test, as well as a presentation? Are those tests for Primary six (KS3) level or GCSE level?

Hi, I had my interview last week at southbank. The interview is in two stages. In the morning you are met by course tutors who divide the whole room up in to two groups, one group has to go and do a 5min presentation (this is basically where you have to teach any area of the national curriculum as if to a group of children for 5mins), and one group has to do a written test (you are given an unseen article with a question that you have to write about and mine was basically all about inclusion in schools). It may be in reverse order!
After this you have to wait and see if you are successful in to the second stages which is where you have a group interview!! I got through to the group interview and you are sent the questions you will be asked before you go to the interview!!

Overall as long as you are prepared you should do fine, everyone is really friendly and the day wasnt as stressful as I thought!! I'm still waiting to here if I have been offered a place, good luck!
Reply 11
bump :frown:
Dear Tamaryn,

Thanks for your post. You said:

"you are sent the questions you will be asked before you go to the interview!!"

Does that mean they send you the questions through the post? And i'm guessing you do not know whether you will have to do a presentation or a written test? You can be picked for either/or?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the group interview like?

Good luck on getting a place - i'm sure you will be fine :smile:

Many thanks,
Anjali
Reply 13
sorry for the late reply angali!

The interview is held in 2 stages:

stage 1, everyone has to do a teaching task which is a 5 min task as if you're teaching to a group of children, you can do this on any area you like! Everyone also must do a written task, you will be given a newspaper article on an educational issue and you get 30 mins to write about it.

stage2: if you are successful from round 1 you will be brough through to do a group interview. You will be sent the questions that they will ask you by post beforehand. This is very relaxed and informal, about 8 people will be sat around a table chatting about their views, just make sure that you put yours in and that you agree/disagree with everyone else sometimes!!
I got accepted last week, best of luck, you'll do fine!!
Thanks heaps Tamaryn!

I'm still waiting to hear back and keeping my fingers crossed for an interview. Congrats on getting in :smile:
DanUK
Hi all,
I've got 2 interview coming up, and i'm so bloody worried haha.

First is Northumbria, 'Early Primary Education' which is a full day sorta thing with a group interview with presentations followed by a individual interview which nothing is specified about.

Second is Sunderland for BA Primary Education, which is similar with group interview and then questioning followed by a presentation on the topic 'What makes you think you will be able to deal with the challenges faced by a primary teacher?".

Has anyone had any experience of interviews at these unis or can offer any advice on the presentation... all help is greatly appreciated :eek3: .

hey!
I have an interview tomorrow for sunderland uni.
Northumbria still havent got back to me yet so dont know what is happening with them.
Has anyone had theirs yet?
How was it?
x
Reply 16
tamaryn
sorry for the late reply angali!

The interview is held in 2 stages:

stage 1, everyone has to do a teaching task which is a 5 min task as if you're teaching to a group of children, you can do this on any area you like! Everyone also must do a written task, you will be given a newspaper article on an educational issue and you get 30 mins to write about it.

stage2: if you are successful from round 1 you will be brough through to do a group interview. You will be sent the questions that they will ask you by post beforehand. This is very relaxed and informal, about 8 people will be sat around a table chatting about their views, just make sure that you put yours in and that you agree/disagree with everyone else sometimes!!
I got accepted last week, best of luck, you'll do fine!!

Hi Tamaryn,

Is there a maths test included in the interview process?

Thanks
Reply 17
no maths test thank god!!lol
just the written test, the teaching task and then the interview in the afternoon!!

good luck!
Hi Tamaryn,

I guess I will be joining you at LSBU afterall this September :smile: Got an acceptance around a week and a half ago, and thank god it's an unconditional one!

however, do you know when exactly is the start date for LSBU? Did you have to accept the offer through GTTR as well and then they send you a welcome pack? I need to know when uni will start in September so i can plan my holiday accordingly. Please let me know if you know.

Also, LSBU said that we have to complete an assignment for a week in a school prior to starting the course in September. Have you been given information on this?

Many thanks,
Anjali
Reply 19
i dont actually know when they start, i've heard nothing other than the letter that was sent to say i got in!!
i actually only realised through other posts that we had to arrange our own one week placement!!the uni being very lax!!
I'm going to send an email regarding all the info so I'll let you know what I find out!!
p.s congratulations!!

Quick Reply

Latest