Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pixies

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think the Pixies were/are just incredible.

Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, Trompe Le Monde are just ducking great albums. Best american band ever I think.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    wheres my mind
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    YESS!!! I've been thinking of making a Pixies Society here lately. Whoever you are I already think you're awesome
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love Doolittle more than any other Pixies release. Love it to pieces. Yes, even Crackity Jones, the song it seems everyone dislikes Its just so complete as an album. Actually its such a good example of a greatly put together album that when I listen to it in one go, it makes me sad that artists continue to not care about albums as such any longer. Doolittle just sums up the end of the 80s and gives us a little insight into what the 90s gave us!

Anyway, yeah, I'll shut up now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love the pixies!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're okay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    agreed, amazing band surfer rosa FTW
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    They certainly seem to have influenced the sound of a lot of bands now, that's for sure.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Always found Trompe le Mode to be their best release, Frank Black going a bit mental after being abducted by aliens really made for some interesting songs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Saw them live, they took requests online before the gig so everyone there would hear their faves. Such a good idea. Take note Thom.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My God I love the Pixies!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sykg)
    YESS!!! I've been thinking of making a Pixies Society here lately. Whoever you are I already think you're awesome
    You should do, i'm not very good at this whole thing, just did this out of boredom, and because of my pixies passion and why thank you I am nah i'm not.

Archamedes when and where was that gig? That sounds awesome, I've been ridiculously obsessed with Pixies for a few years but the closest they've come to playing in Birmingham (where I live) is London which I just couldn't really go to. Must. See. Them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archamedes)
    Saw them live, they took requests online before the gig so everyone there would hear their faves. Such a good idea. Take note Thom.
    You can see why bands, especially those that tour frequently, wouldn't want to do this though. They'd be stuck playing the same songs constantly. And with bands that tour all the time (meaning I've more than likely seen them on several occasions and heard all of the most popular songs anyway) I prefer it when less common material is performed.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes Yes Yes Yes :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah man, gauge away favourite song, love the slow/hard dynamics
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doolittle <3 Possibly my favourite album of all time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where Is My Mind... Amazing!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    You can see why bands, especially those that tour frequently, wouldn't want to do this though. They'd be stuck playing the same songs constantly. And with bands that tour all the time (meaning I've more than likely seen them on several occasions and heard all of the most popular songs anyway) I prefer it when less common material is performed.
    I agree, this was a one off, and it's nice to see a different format for a gig, like Wu-Tang playing 36 Chambers from start to finish.

Bands that tour frequently without a decent back catalogue will play the same songs all the time anyway, so this, as you say wouldn't really work for them. But this is a Pixies thread, and I was merely posting that on this ocassion, it was great to see a band of this stature appease their fans in this way. They'd have probably played most of those songs anyway, but it's the interaction which is nice.

I suggested that Radiohead would be another band that could benefit from this approach, such an eclectic history of music, and a touring schedule that hardly feeds the appetite of their fan base. Bob Dylan, Metallica, Muse, Rufus Wainwright... I wasn't talking about going to watch Ed Sheeran 12 times in a year.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really Liked Surfa Rosa. My fav tracks are probably 'Hey' and 'Where Is My Mind'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If man is 5... If man is 5...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.