The Student Room Group

American Student wanting a MSc in Archaeology at York (I will give you a cookie)

Hello,
I really would love to go to the University of York for a masters in Archaeology or Paleo-anthropology, but I have some questions and uncertainties.

First of all, am I a bad person for promising a non-existent cookie? lol I'm sorry!

Second, I just would love to get any advice or input from any students on application processes, specifically interview info for international students and maybe a general acceptance rate at York for Archaeology/Anthropology?

Believe me, I would definitely apply to Cambridge but there is no way in hell that I can pull 100,000 dollars out of my....yeah...
York is more affordable, and probably better for me considering they have a specific human origins program opening next October.

Anyway, sorry for my ranting.

If you are available to chat or have some opinions or pointers, I would love to listen to you.

Also, if you are applying to the same Department, I would love to get in contact with you!
Thanks!
xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Damn no replies! lol
Reply 2
Original post by Holly1389
Damn no replies! lol

You sent this at 4am! It's no wonder that nobody has replied yet! :smile:

I haven't applied for the course you're looking at but I did consider one similar at York (the MSc in Early Prehistory and Archaeology). First off, I don't think they actually do interviews for the MSc. If they do they I'm sure it'll just be a phone interview. I also don't think they really have an anthropology department, just an archaeology one (forgive me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure about the acceptance rate but as with most universities I've looked at the case is more to do with whether you're qualified than whether they've filled or overfilled their quota (ie. if you have what they're looking for they'll give you a place regardless of the number of other people who have applied). They have fantastic recources at York, and I know that the city is situated nearby plenty of prehistoric sites so it's a great place to study archaeology.

Do you have your heart set on York? Have you considered other places like UCL, Durham, Exeter and Edinburgh? They cost about the same and offer similar degrees (UCL in particular has an extremely respected archaeology department).

Best of luck! (sorry I can't help more)
Reply 3
Wow, Thank you so much for replying! Yes, sometimes I do forget about the time difference! lol

Yes they only have an archaeology department, but they accept anthropology degrees. Your words are very heartening. I did have my heart set on York, but thank you for pointing me to other options. I'll gladly look at those as well. I do meet their requirements, and it's nice to know that with that I would have a high chance of getting accepted.

UCL? I'll definitely look into that.

Again, THANK YOU! I appreciate the help very much! :smile:
Reply 4
I know nothing about archeology but I second the UCL suggestion, its arguably the third best uni in the UK or even Europe.
Reply 5
what grades do you have? i know york is pretty competitive. i'm not sure about the app process there exactly, but i've spent extensive time in york and it is absolutely beautiful :smile:
UCL Archeology has a bizarrely massive building with its own dedicated (and very comfy, with indoor plants!) library in the prettiest part of UCL's campus (more dedicated facilities than any other UCL humanities or social sciences dept I think, probably more than the law faculty).
Reply 7
Original post by katieeeL
what grades do you have? i know york is pretty competitive. i'm not sure about the app process there exactly, but i've spent extensive time in york and it is absolutely beautiful :smile:

My overall GPA would be an equivalent to an Upper Second 2:1 degree (Approx. a 3.5)
However, I have two degrees: one in Anthropology and another in Geology. My GPA could be higher, but due to the insane amount of credits, the average ends up being lower and harder to maintain as time goes on and more classes are taken. FML

Although, I don't see any option to upload a Curriculum Vitae. Do any UK universities ask for it? Because I have so much experience and I want some way to show that! :smile:

And thanks for the responses everyone. It's very helpful!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Oh yes, and I was amazed at UCL's departments. Very nice, however I dread thinking about how much money it would cost to live in the heart of London.
My grades are great! I think its an equivalent to an Upper Second 2:1 degree.

Although, I don't see any option to upload a Curriculum Vitae. Do any UK universities ask for it? Because I have so much experience and I want some way to show that! :smile:

And thanks for the responses everyone. It's very helpful!

Many do ask for a C.V. - not all do though. it is even more powerful though to get your letter writers to include impressive experience in their letters - send them your c.v.
Reply 10
Original post by VitaminQuartet
Many do ask for a C.V. - not all do though. it is even more powerful though to get your letter writers to include impressive experience in their letters - send them your c.v.

Good advice, thanks :smile:
Reply 11
wow, I have to say that I adore you sooooo much!! because I was not brave enough to apply to archeology. Practically all my family members and friends asked me not to, since they thought it's a dead-end course :frown: even though I can't agree with them.
Reply 12
Original post by Cotton
wow, I have to say that I adore you sooooo much!! because I was not brave enough to apply to archeology. Practically all my family members and friends asked me not to, since they thought it's a dead-end course :frown: even though I can't agree with them.

I could see why they would say that, especially if you didn't want to go into research. But it also seems that your family and friends are just assuming. Many archaeologists are hired (in America at least) to work with Cultural Resource Management positions, research at universities, non-profit organizations like Habitat for Humanity, Development agencies, National Park Services, Native American collaborations, and other environmental agencies that are sustainable and eco-friendly. Also, I guess you wouldn't just be hired as an archaeologist, but rather an Anthropologist, since the USA doesn't specify between the two. (Oh Franz Boas, lol).

And Anthropologists are hired for many different reasons. Last week I saw a job ad online with the CIA hiring cultural anthropologists and archaeologists. I was pretty much flabbergasted, hehe.

But yes, I'm sorry that you didn't go into the field, but I understand. My father at first was confused as to what I could do with a degree in Anthropology. But I personally plan to go onto a PhD and work at a research institute and teach.

Thanks for your reply! I love hearing about other people's experiences :smile:
Last week I saw a job ad online with the CIA hiring cultural anthropologists and archaeologists. I was pretty much flabbergasted, hehe.

You are more likely to get a visa for Syria if your business card says archaeologist than if it says secret agent.
Reply 14
Hahaha! Yes that is true, lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending