The Student Room Group

Teenagers to be given jobs funded by taxpayers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Square
and still the guardian comments about this are full of hate.

some people really are morons.

Who?
Reply 21
Well the logical option of just doing an Australian style cutback on immigrants coming into the country would be far too scandalous.
Reply 22
Original post by Psyk
I thought it was illegal to discriminate based on age now? So they're encouraging companies to hire young people who are out of work, but they'll be punished if they pick them over someone older? Doesn't make much sense.

It wont really be discriminating.

It's just an incentive for companies to think about younger workers. Because someone older may have more experience, but that will now be balanced by the credit they'll get from the government if they take on a younger employee. I don;t know if I agree with the scheme to be honest, but something needs to be done.
Original post by Maker
Extract from the OP.

"The scheme, which has hallmarks of the Thatcherite Youth Training Scheme of the 1980s, will be funded by freezing tax credits for up to three years, hitting millions of workers earning up to £28,000."

In other words, tax money from high earners isn't going to support low earners but will instead support the youth.

Not giving money to someone != Taking money off someone
Reply 24
Original post by Darkphilosopher
In other words, tax money from high earners isn't going to support low earners but will instead support the youth.

Not giving money to someone != Taking money off someone

:rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by Steevee
It wont really be discriminating.

It's just an incentive for companies to think about younger workers. Because someone older may have more experience, but that will now be balanced by the credit they'll get from the government if they take on a younger employee. I don;t know if I agree with the scheme to be honest, but something needs to be done.

It's still discrimination, justified or not. The fact is it will mean companies will pick young people over older people who will be just as suitable for the job. It just seems like mixed messages. It wasn't that long ago they introduced the ban on age discrimination so that companies didn't discriminate against older people, now they're actively encouraging them to pick young people over older people.
Original post by Erich Hartmann
Finally the Coalition is going to recycle a Thatcher era policy.

Personally think it is the wrong way to deal with the problem. Another treatment of the symptoms rather than anything else.

It's not much different to the Future Jobs Fund though.

Though in that instance they'd pay all the wages though it was always minimum wage.
Reply 27
is this really going to be that effective at stimulating jobs given that currently it is a lack of aggregate demand which is resulting in a lack of demand in the job market - the government is not targeting the causes of youth unemployment - namely weak consumption and a lack of education and training - firms will not employ young workers if they have nothing for them to do, even if they are being heavily subsidised by the government

surely this is just another attempt at another "quick fix" by the coalition government - they are just treating symptoms rather than the problem itself!
Reply 28
Original post by Psyk
It's still discrimination, justified or not. The fact is it will mean companies will pick young people over older people who will be just as suitable for the job. It just seems like mixed messages. It wasn't that long ago they introduced the ban on age discrimination so that companies didn't discriminate against older people, now they're actively encouraging them to pick young people over older people.

Not really, this is no more discrimination than it would be if the government funded someone's degree, and they got picked for a job on the basis of that degree.

The fact is many companies will still pick an experienced person over a newbie, along with the fact that this is only for a fixed term.
Reply 29
Original post by patty9309
is this really going to be that effective at stimulating jobs given that currently it is a lack of aggregate demand which is resulting in a lack of demand in the job market - the government is not targeting the causes of youth unemployment - namely weak consumption and a lack of education and training - firms will not employ young workers if they have nothing for them to do, even if they are being heavily subsidised by the government

surely this is just another attempt at another "quick fix" by the coalition government - they are just treating symptoms rather than the problem itself!

You're halfway there, the lack of demand is caused by wages being too low

money = demand and thus if the majority don't have money to spend, they can't spend it so there are no sales

Raise the wages of the lowers to come out of company profits and we shall see a huge boom in the economy
Reply 30
Original post by Steevee
Not really, this is no more discrimination than it would be if the government funded someone's degree, and they got picked for a job on the basis of that degree.

I guess it's kind of similar, but still not quite the same. With a degree, the company has no reason to pick someone with a government funded degree over anyone else with a degree. Plus the degree in theory adds greater ability to do the job, where as what we're talking about is purely a cash incentive to hire one person over another, regardless of their ability to do the job.

Original post by Steevee

The fact is many companies will still pick an experienced person over a newbie, along with the fact that this is only for a fixed term.

Depends on the job really. For a lot of quite menial jobs, I don't suppose they really care that much because you don't need experience to do it anyway.
Reply 31
Original post by Disastor

money = demand and thus if the majority don't have money to spend, they can't spend it so there are no sales

Raise the wages of the lowers to come out of company profits and we shall see a huge boom in the economy

the lack of demand is caused by uncertainty and an accumulation of large amounts of household debt in the UK to a greater extent than wages in my opinion

but it's impossible to get large firms to reduce their profits given that any further rises in corporate taxation rates are likely to further reduce investment and may even lead to the departure of some of the multinationals from the UK - you might be right but it's impossible to implement!
Reply 32
the lack of demand is caused by uncertainty and an accumulation of large amounts of household debt in the UK to a greater extent than wages in my opinion

but it's impossible to get large firms to reduce their profits given that any further rises in corporate taxation rates are likely to further reduce investment and may even lead to the departure of some of the multinationals from the UK - you might be right but it's impossible to implement!

Oh, I know it's impossible to implement but raising corporation tax is no different

This is where pure greed ****s everything up and there's no way to stop it
Reply 33
Oh, I know it's impossible to implement but raising corporation tax is no different

This is where pure greed ****s everything up and there's no way to stop it

mm i know that's what i was saying - raising corporation tax is infeasible

surely the failing in this sense is the fact that those firms do not need to invest/raise wages in order to respectively remain competitive and retain their workers

i.e. they are just doing what any profit maximising firm in a capitalist economy would do ..
Why not just abolish NIC's for employers for 18-24's instead? What is the point of employing a load of bureaucrats to create a scheme when you could just cut the cost of employing young people? Barmy.

Do you want 9% inflation as well?
Reply 36
Do you want 9% inflation as well?

The trick is... YOU DON'T RAISE PRICES

Of course, greed kicks in and the already rich get excited and raise them anyway, thus inflation will keep rising
The trick is... YOU DON'T RAISE PRICES

Of course, greed kicks in and the already rich get excited and raise them anyway, thus inflation will keep rising

Yes... but it doesn't change the fact that there would be demand pull inflation.
Reply 38
mm i know that's what i was saying - raising corporation tax is infeasible

surely the failing in this sense is the fact that those firms do not need to invest/raise wages in order to respectively remain competitive and retain their workers

i.e. they are just doing what any profit maximising firm in a capitalist economy would do ..

You sir, have discovered one of capitalism's contradictions - how does the company with all the money sell anything when there is no more money left? the economic cycle literally stops in their banks accounts and money is not unlimited
Reply 39
Yes... but it doesn't change the fact that there would be demand pull inflation.

Demand pull? or demand pool?

you mean demand will increase? isn't a lack of demand the reason sales are falling?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending