The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loopyluc
I dont like study skills either! This research project we have to do is a nightmare!!! i havent evenb started yet!

What is it all about? I am not there yet. But I find study skills so boring... I mean, ok, I have learned a few nice things, but having to write about study skills kills me! Though I admit that I should just man up, after all it's not that bad. :tongue:
Reply 181
Hi everyone,

So today i had the assessment at Birmingham and fingers crossed i get an interview now, they said i should hear something within the next two weeks.

We had to do a Maths and English test which if anyone has done key skills is the initial assessment you do at the start. We then had to complete a piece of writing on any subject and were given a sheet to give some ideas. I think i did oK but I'm not too sure about the English part as im not great even though i have passed the level 2 already!

So now its wait time for me but it all seems a bit closer now :-)
Reply 182
Original post by ilovelabradors
What is it all about? I am not there yet. But I find study skills so boring... I mean, ok, I have learned a few nice things, but having to write about study skills kills me! Though I admit that I should just man up, after all it's not that bad. :tongue:

Our study skills have just been a pain in the backside really. We've done things like analyse our learning styles, organising our time effectively, plan revision timetables, essay writing, presentation, five year plans etc. It's not that there is anything really bad about them but I'd rather spend my time doing hardcore chemistry than colouring pie charts. Some of them are mandatory but if nothing else they make up the credits so you have to do your best at them because they could be easy merits/distinctions.
Reply 183
I have an interview at Birbeck Univesristy for Access to Science but it's so expensive££££4.600 for 1 year course??part time!shocking!!!!!!

I am not sure whether I can afford this...I don't now much about grants and loans.I am just wondering whether there is any fincancial squeme for access students(i M 29yrs old)????Does anyone know?

Thnks xx
Original post by jami74
Our study skills have just been a pain in the backside really. We've done things like analyse our learning styles, organising our time effectively, plan revision timetables, essay writing, presentation, five year plans etc. It's not that there is anything really bad about them but I'd rather spend my time doing hardcore chemistry than colouring pie charts. Some of them are mandatory but if nothing else they make up the credits so you have to do your best at them because they could be easy merits/distinctions.

Agree. I also would rather be doing something more useful, well, it's not that it's not useful, but we could improve our learning skills in a few lessons only. I mean, we are slowly going through it and it becomes boring because there isn't much to know/talk about, we end up repeating ourselves big time. :colondollar:

I have done all of that except presentation and five years plan. What's the later like?

I hope to have good grades though! It's worth a few credits, so... :colone:
Reply 185

I have done all of that except presentation and five years plan. What's the later like?

It was part of another assignment so I just did a flow chart to be honest, maybe others wrote a few paragraphs instead. Its a bit of a silly one for someone applying for a 4 year degree with a 1 year pre-reg afterwards and a fairly well defined career path but I guess for someone doing a humanities access course and then a 3 year degree then it would be important for them to have a rough idea of where it is going to lead them.

We are very lucky in that our study skills tutor doesn't want to read through masses of stuff and likes things concise so we focus on meeting all the criteria to an excellent standard in the minimal amount of work possible.
Original post by richie82
Hi everyone,

So today i had the assessment at Birmingham and fingers crossed i get an interview now, they said i should hear something within the next two weeks.

You will be fine. :smile:

Original post by Patynurse
I have an interview at Birbeck Univesristy for Access to Science but it's so expensive££££4.600 for 1 year course??part time!shocking!!!!!!

I am not sure whether I can afford this...I don't now much about grants and loans.I am just wondering whether there is any fincancial squeme for access students(i M 29yrs old)????Does anyone know?

Thnks xx

Hi ya!

Well, that's really expensive indeed.In my college the course costs (or at least costed in January) £1080 however I paid only £125. I've seen a prospectus though and apparently it is now more expensive, can't tell the actual figures, but it certainly is not 4600. Are you sure that's the actual price? :eek:

Some colleges have small grants. Mine has one of £150 paid in two instalments. However, I am not sure if it is easy to get as it is said to be for students in hardship only. :s-smilie:

However, the gov helped with my fees and everyone else's fees, as we have only paid the registration fees. So if the law hasn't changed in the meantime you might be entitled to that. It has been said that the rules regarding access funding would change but I am not sure if they have changed yet or what those changes will be like.

I am not sure about loans though. But I would check another college, honestly that price is too expensive. My college has an excellent reputation here in the SW, has great facilities and the fees are much lower than that! :s-smilie:
Original post by jami74
It was part of another assignment so I just did a flow chart to be honest, maybe others wrote a few paragraphs instead. Its a bit of a silly one for someone applying for a 4 year degree with a 1 year pre-reg afterwards and a fairly well defined career path but I guess for someone doing a humanities access course and then a 3 year degree then it would be important for them to have a rough idea of where it is going to lead them.

We are very lucky in that our study skills tutor doesn't want to read through masses of stuff and likes things concise so we focus on meeting all the criteria to an excellent standard in the minimal amount of work possible.

What are you going to do at uni? :smile: Your tutor sounds cool. :biggrin: Mine is also all right, I mean it could be even more boring if he wasn't so laid back and prone to be funny. :smile:

Something a bit off topic- Has your class changed after a few weeks in the course? The week before Easter we got our first assignment back, it was a Psychology one, and it is worth 3 credits. So it was a big deal for most people, me included. I worked like a slave! However I was not confident at all and though it was not good enough... So there is this one girl that has changed her attitude a bit when she found out that we are aiming for the same course and uni. However, then she became normal again. But, since that day she has changed again. I am not sure what grade she got, but I got a D in all the criteria and in the lunch time before receiving the results she said she was pretty sure she would get a D whereas I said I was expecting a pass... Apparently no one else got D in all the criteria so I am starting to believe it didn't go down to well for her, which disgusts me really! I don't know what to think. :s-smilie: But I am starting to think that this is going to be awkward, I was expecting to make friends! People are also not helpful at all. An handful of people don't care about anything and the other handful seems to be selfish, proud and competitive. There are a few people that seem to be nice but they're a minority! :s-smilie: I have also been listening to too much back bitching.... :s-smilie:

Is this normal or I am being too pessimistic here? :s-smilie:
Reply 188
What are you going to do at uni? :smile: Your tutor sounds cool. :biggrin: Mine is also all right, I mean it could be even more boring if he wasn't so laid back and prone to be funny. :smile:

Something a bit off topic- Has your class changed after a few weeks in the course? The week before Easter we got our first assignment back, it was a Psychology one, and it is worth 3 credits. So it was a big deal for most people, me included. I worked like a slave! However I was not confident at all and though it was not good enough... So there is this one girl that has changed her attitude a bit when she found out that we are aiming for the same course and uni. However, then she became normal again. But, since that day she has changed again. I am not sure what grade she got, but I got a D in all the criteria and in the lunch time before receiving the results she said she was pretty sure she would get a D whereas I said I was expecting a pass... Apparently no one else got D in all the criteria so I am starting to believe it didn't go down to well for her, which disgusts me really! I don't know what to think. :s-smilie: But I am starting to think that this is going to be awkward, I was expecting to make friends! People are also not helpful at all. An handful of people don't care about anything and the other handful seems to be selfish, proud and competitive. There are a few people that seem to be nice but they're a minority! :s-smilie: I have also been listening to too much back bitching.... :s-smilie:

Is this normal or I am being too pessimistic here? :s-smilie:

I think this sort of behaviour is probably relatively normal when you get a bunch of people together, especially when the environment is new and challenging and everyone started with different expectations. You probably won't all work harmoniously as a large group or even be friends with everyone. I have been really lucky because I have made a couple of study friends and we share ideas and help each other but generally everyone is out for themselves. Most the people on my course are late twenties/thirties and most make an effort to get on with everyone else and help each other when asked. However, I have noticed that people do go a bit quiet and less friendly when assignment results come back especially if they are disappointed with their mark (me included) so the best thing is to just give them some space and not mention it.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Anyone know what the consequences (financial or otherwise) would be for dropping out of an Access Course? I'm just weighing up whether it's worth starting one half-heartedly or not.

Hey.. As someone else has said I don't think there would be much point in starting it if you're not sure whether you'll see it through - I have heard that in the majority of access courses there can be quite a high drop out rate for a number of reasons. Only do it if you are certain that you want to progress to university, as otherwise it would be a waste of the college's/ staff's time, and also your own time! If you have a change of heart and find it's definitely what you want to go for then do thorough research in to the course you feel you would most enjoy/ like to study before you enrol :smile:
I spoke to the course leader regarding my fees and she cleared it up for me - it looks as though I won't have to pay the full fee after all and it is in fact a full level three qualification, which is what I initially thought, and the receptionist worried me over nothing.
Original post by petite fille
Hey.. As someone else has said I don't think there would be much point in starting it if you're not sure whether you'll see it through - I have heard that in the majority of access courses there can be quite a high drop out rate for a number of reasons. Only do it if you are certain that you want to progress to university, as otherwise it would be a waste of the college's/ staff's time, and also your own time! If you have a change of heart and find it's definitely what you want to go for then do thorough research in to the course you feel you would most enjoy/ like to study before you enrol :smile:

Thanks for your answer. I guess I've just been looking at Access as a last resort more than anything really. I'd much rather be in a job or apprenticeship to be honest, but I've been struggling so much to get into one, it's so ridiculous and I'm getting so down about it :frown:. I feel so directionless in life right now, and I feel like maybe I may as well get back into higher education cos what do I have to lose really? Seems like the only clear option right now whilst this economy is still in tatters.
Original post by petite fille
I spoke to the course leader regarding my fees and she cleared it up for me - it looks as though I won't have to pay the full fee after all and it is in fact a full level three qualification, which is what I initially thought, and the receptionist worried me over nothing.

That's really ool. :wink:

Original post by jami74
I think this sort of behaviour is probably relatively normal when you get a bunch of people together

You're probably right and maybe I am too naive cause I was kinda expecting to have the same environment as I did in GCSEs and Alevels in matters of getting along. It's not that we don't get along fine, we do, and most of the people are friendly however there is also too much back bitching and I don't see the point of that, especially considering that we barely know each other. I don't feel comfortable when I see people that I once considered cool saying nasty things of someone behind their back. And it makes me wonder if they say nasty things behind my back as well. Anyway it's too early too tell, really, and all I can do is keep on being approachable to everybody and besides that not everything is bad. I am sure I have already made one friend and there are a few people that I get along with especially fine. :wink:

What a major rant. Sorry. :tongue:
Reply 193
That's really ool. :wink:

You're probably right and maybe I am too naive cause I was kinda expecting to have the same environment as I did in GCSEs and Alevels in matters of getting along. It's not that we don't get along fine, we do, and most of the people are friendly however there is also too much back bitching and I don't see the point of that, especially considering that we barely know each other. I don't feel comfortable when I see people that I once considered cool saying nasty things of someone behind their back. And it makes me wonder if they say nasty things behind my back as well. Anyway it's too early too tell, really, and all I can do is keep on being approachable to everybody and besides that not everything is bad. I am sure I have already made one friend and there are a few people that I get along with especially fine. :wink:

What a major rant. Sorry. :tongue:

You don't have to tolerate listening to back bitching. In the past I have said to people "I wouldn't listen to them bitching about you so do me a favour and don't bitch about them in front of me". It is fine to politely tell people you are not interested in class politics. How they react will depend on how badly they want to be your friend. It will either earn you their respect or lose you their friendship.

Remember the access course is over in less than a year (well ours will be, not sure how it works if you start in January). The teaching weeks on our course add up to about 28, when I found things hard I would add up how many lessons/days/weeks I had left (only 4 more Maths lessons!).
Original post by jami74
You don't have to tolerate listening to back bitching. In the past I have said to people "I wouldn't listen to them bitching about you so do me a favour and don't bitch about them in front of me". It is fine to politely tell people you are not interested in class politics. How they react will depend on how badly they want to be your friend. It will either earn you their respect or lose you their friendship.

Remember the access course is over in less than a year (well ours will be, not sure how it works if you start in January). The teaching weeks on our course add up to about 28, when I found things hard I would add up how many lessons/days/weeks I had left (only 4 more Maths lessons!).

You're right. And yes, it's only a year and 3 months of it are already gone. The course ends in December.

Thanks so much for your answer and good advice. :h:
Just been having a nose around online & I'm a bit disappointed that there are barely any figures relating to university admissions & mature student applicants.

There is a table on the Telegraph website, here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/university-course-finder/ - which is actually very detailed & you can tailor the table in however way you would like; mature student % is on there. The only problem I have is just how reliable these type of tables are. I feel it's much better to look at a group of them collectively & maybe even take an average out of them all, tweak it to the specifics that you're interested in, iyswim?

I really wish there was just a little more data on mature students; number of applicants on a particular course, number of successful applicants, age ranges, satisfaction with courses etc. namely to see where we stand in the scheme of things. I am really struggling with my choices for university (I know I have ages yet, but I like to be prepared :wink:) as the data only really benefits those that have left school. I admit, some are useful, but if there was a certain website or even data accumulated with the other tables, where I could just see that little bit of extra detail, then I really feel it would help me to set realistic goals.

I really want to study history at uni, but the only universities that have courses that I would enjoy doing are: Lancaster, York, Manchester and UCL. Durham do, but on the table I was looking at before it says that there are no mature students accepted onto their history courses :eek: I just wonder is it maybe like that with a lot of top universities for popular degrees. I know that in Manchester there's around 190 applicants chosen from over 2,000, I would just love to know how many of them include mature students.

I wish I knew a way to remedy this. I would love to designate a site completely to those who return to education in later life. Even if it's just purely statistics & mature student reviews etc. I can imagine that would be a royal pain in the bum though :lol: :lol: Think I may just stay ignorant, aim high & hope for the best :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I just wanted to say to everyone applying for an access course this year, good luck! I was here this time last year really nervous about my interview and tests etc.
Now I'm nearly finished and I can only say it has been one of the best, most stressful and enjoyable experiences of my very sort life so far!
I've been offered a place at UCL in London and couldn't have done it without the huge amount of support you get on your course :smile:
My tutors are all fantastic and I know my fellow classmates would agree.
You're all in for a hard time, but trust me, when it's you here this time next year, you'll feel amazing!
Good luck! :smile: x
Original post by lauraaimee
I just wanted to say to everyone applying for an access course this year, good luck! I was here this time last year really nervous about my interview and tests etc.
Now I'm nearly finished and I can only say it has been one of the best, most stressful and enjoyable experiences of my very sort life so far!
I've been offered a place at UCL in London and couldn't have done it without the huge amount of support you get on your course :smile:
My tutors are all fantastic and I know my fellow classmates would agree.
You're all in for a hard time, but trust me, when it's you here this time next year, you'll feel amazing!
Good luck! :smile: x

:jumphug: So lovely to hear!! Really gives me all kinds of renewed motivation!!

Massive congrats to getting into UCL, what a place to go :smile: What are you studying there, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again, so sweet :cute:
Original post by sweetiepie82
I really feel it would help me to set realistic goals.

I really want to study history at uni, but the only universities that have courses that I would enjoy doing are: Lancaster, York, Manchester and UCL. Durham do, but on the table I was looking at before it says that there are no mature students accepted onto their history courses :eek:

Hi.

Before I started the access I was really concerned about that, too. However, going to college has made me understand some things better. There really is lots of support there and you will not be on your own. Although you'll have to work hard and there's no place for spoon feeding, it is also the college aim to help you to get a place in uni. The percentage of successful students has to be high, otherwise they won't have new students every year. So you won't be alone.

I would like to help but I have no idea about those universities as I am in the south and we only have access to some tips and hints related to the universities close to the college, mostly the ones that have partnerships with our college, cause as you know most mature students stay local.

However, there is another thread here on TSR which is the (un)official thread for access 2012 or something along those lines. There, lots of mature students share their experiences in the access as well as moving from access to uni. There is some info there about students applying to courses that are not traditionally sought by mature students, so it could be nice to have to look, you can even ask them directly if you see they are aiming for the same unis our course, I'm sure they will be happy to help!

I am sure it will be fine. :hugs:
I think I may actually put the above as a separate thread? Just so it gets seen by more :smile: ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending