The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi there everybody, new member here.

I've applied (and been accepted onto) an Access to Humanities and Social Sciences course this coming Sept. I'm hoping to go to uni to study Psychology next year, although I'm still in the process of deciding just what unis would be best for me!

I've only got a couple of GCSE's so I'm a tad nervous as to how I'm going to handle the intensity of the course, but hopefully my passion for my future plans will help me get through. My chosen pathway on the Access course has four subjects; Psychology (main), History, Sociology and English Literature. Also I was told we have to do a 10,000 word dissertation-type paper throughout the year! Scary stuff! Though good preparation for uni I suppose!

Looking forward to talking to some of you in the near future. :smile:
Hi there! I am not sure if they will accept you. I guess this course is for people over 19 only (at least in my college). But I think you've done the right thing which is applying anyway! :wink:

I hope they do,I have an interview in a few weeks,I thought they wouldnt also but it says theres no age restrictions so fingers crossed x
Reply 62
I sent off an application for Access to Medicine at Lambeth last week and yesterday I got invited to the assessment tests on 1st March. I thought that was a good turnaround - I wasnt expecting to hear anything until sometime in April!

Looking forward to it - anyone else going?

Lee
Hi - new member here.

I applied last week for an Access in Combined Humanities and Social Science with a view to read Psychology once completed. I got a letter back saying I would need to attend an interview but that won't be until April.

I'm 28 and my biggest regret was never finishing my education and doing my chosen career. I can honestly say since I decided to do it, I haven't felt this happy in a long time and I find myself wanting September to hurry along so I can start (providing I get accepted of course).

In the meantime I've been researching the Unis I'd like to go to and putting together a reading list that some of them have as suggested reading for undergraduates, but the books aren't cheap as some are nearly £40!

Exciting times ahead!
Original post by ExWunderkind
Hi - new member here.

In the meantime I've been researching the Unis I'd like to go to and putting together a reading list that some of them have as suggested reading for undergraduates, but the books aren't cheap as some are nearly £40!

Exciting times ahead!

A very good plan and approach. My son ordered me one of the recommended reading books for xmas, although the new edition comes out in March hence the order rather than actually getting it. It will arrive soon though. I also get the recommended books out of the library, either because they are on the shelf, or I put an "order" in.

Good luck
Original post by evening sunrise
A very good plan and approach. My son ordered me one of the recommended reading books for xmas, although the new edition comes out in March hence the order rather than actually getting it. It will arrive soon though. I also get the recommended books out of the library, either because they are on the shelf, or I put an "order" in.

Good luck

I think it just shows that I'm not just going back to Uni just because I'm stuck in a rut, but that I have a genuine interest in the subject and am passionate about it. I might have to see if those books are available at the library though, as I can't afford to fork out £40 a book!
Guys, there is a thread (The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!) which might be useful to you! It has lots of info about the courses! :wink:
Reply 67
[QUOTE="TessaHarker;36398339"]
Original post by jmfc
Hi there! I am not sure if they will accept you. I guess this course is for people over 19 only (at least in my college). But I think you've done the right thing which is applying anyway! :wink:

I hope they do,I have an interview in a few weeks,I thought they wouldnt also but it says theres no age restrictions so fingers crossed x

If they invited you it's because they don't mind your age! :biggrin:

Congrats! You'll be fine! :biggrin:
Reply 68
I applied to a Access to Engineering course, got a letter of confirmation but nothing else yet. I applied about 1 month ago, so I'm not too worried.
I applied to a few Access to Humanities courses, did one assessment and going for an interview next week hopefully. I'm 28 and looking to pursue a legal career.

I'm excited to get started in September...:smile:
Original post by Emperor Jacobi
I applied to a few Access to Humanities courses, did one assessment and going for an interview next week hopefully. I'm 28 and looking to pursue a legal career.

I'm excited to get started in September...:smile:

Me too, me too. Good luck!
Original post by adam271
I applied to a Access to Engineering course, got a letter of confirmation but nothing else yet. I applied about 1 month ago, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah, don't worry. I applied about 2 or 3 months before receiving a mail inviting me to the interview. This happens because they are not setting a date exclusively for you. They will be interviewing you as well as everyone else so you'll have to wait. :tongue:

You'll be fine, I am sure. I believe Colleges take returning students in high consideration so you will be very well received on your interview and you will love it! :smile:
Original post by ExWunderkind
Me too, me too. Good luck!

That's really cool, good luck to us both:smile:...
Original post by Emperor Jacobi
That's really cool, good luck to us both:smile:...

I don't mean the legal career by the way! I mean I am doing Humanities and Social Science but I want to read Psychology.

But yes good luck to both of us :biggrin:
Reply 74
Hi all another newbie :biggrin:

Having just passed my maths & english lvl 2 I'm hoping to start access to nursing this Sept @ West Cheshire , and hopefully get in at Chester uni next year to study adult nursing,

I must admit thou I`m pretty nervous about starting college at 34 :eek:
after having a family and caring for my disabled husband.. in a way I`m really looking forward to resuming a part of my life back,

anyone else from the northwest here ??
Original post by Kez Adams
Hi all another newbie :biggrin:

Having just passed my maths & english lvl 2 I'm hoping to start access to nursing this Sept @ West Cheshire , and hopefully get in at Chester uni next year to study adult nursing,

I must admit thou I`m pretty nervous about starting college at 34 :eek:
after having a family and caring for my disabled husband.. in a way I`m really looking forward to resuming a part of my life back,

anyone else from the northwest here ??

hi kez!

nupe not from NW but lotsa luck for sept! u sound like you're gonna have your hands full:eek:
I have also applied for the access to medicine course in lambeth and the assessment is today really looking foward to it!! Have done a bit of revision on numeracy hope all those attenting do well. Good luck guys
Hinda
Reply 77
I've applied for an Access to HE course at New Suffolk College in Ipswich. The only course they do is Social Sciences. I wanted to know if this course would prepare me for any course I decide to take at university. Also I don't know what I specifically want to study at uni. Do they need to know this before I start the Access to HE course, if accepted.

Thanks,

Marc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Access to HE Science starting September. I have my sights set on studying Pharmacy at university so I'll be making sure of good grades!
Original post by Threxy
I am not sure about UWE, I've heard of it plenty of times around this forum but since I'm not from the area and have never looked into it, so I don't know what its considered. lol.

UWE does OK its around mid table on the various lists. 55th or something on the overall list rings a bell. Seem to hold its position across most subjects from history to nursing. Can't remember exactly, its been a while since we looked at it for my wife, but then decided to apply only in the north for financial reasons.

All merits is a pretty nice offer, grab it quick :smile:. There are a lot of students on here being asked for between 15 and 45 credits at distinction (60 at distinction for for law, law seems to be a bit different), the rest at merit. There are some who get offers of a pass for Access, they usually have the qualifications already and are doing the course to get back into the swing of things as they have not studied for a while.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending