The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by wewe
Hi guys can anyone help please? I will like to know what subjects are expected of me when i start an acces to science course; or is there any syllabus to follow?
thank you.

All access courses in all colleges are different. The most accurate information will come from the college you've applied at. Or tell us which college you are going to and someone here might be there and know.
Reply 141
When I initially contacted the college about cost of Access Course, I was told as I have never taken any level course at the college, there would only be a £25 registration fee. Now I 've be been told that the government is possibly bringing in some new guidelines which may effect the cost of the course. I was told at the Access guidance meeting that they are still waiting on this information. But if it does change they believe that anyone on income support would no longer qualify for a free course, job seekers allowance and ESA are still eligible. That would mean for me it would cost £1500, money I don't have. Does anyone have any current information about the cost of the Access course?
Original post by Marcth
When I initially contacted the college about cost of Access Course, I was told as I have never taken any level course at the college, there would only be a £25 registration fee. Now I 've be been told that the government is possibly bringing in some new guidelines which may effect the cost of the course. I was told at the Access guidance meeting that they are still waiting on this information. But if it does change they believe that anyone on income support would no longer qualify for a free course, job seekers allowance and ESA are still eligible. That would mean for me it would cost £1500, money I don't have. Does anyone have any current information about the cost of the Access course?

Hi ya.

I started an access course this year, in January and I rememeber that in the registration day, the responsible for the course told us that we were fortunate to start in January because if we were to start "next year" we would have to borrow the amount to pay the fees of the course (I can't remember the exact amount but it was well over £1000). When she said "next year" I guess she was talking about next academic year, which starts in September, so I am not sure. I paid only 125 pounds for the course which was an amount that anyone had to paid, regardless of their circumstances.

So, don't worry too much because in the worst scenario you could end up having to borrow that amount; however that shouldn't stop you. As unpleasant as that might be, if you are really committed to go to Uni, that won't stop you. However, they are nicer options, like paying the fees monthly, which depending on your income could also be an option.
Reply 143
I paid 1150 for mine......
Original post by Marcth

I am on income support & I was told that I will not have to pay this year (starting Sept 2012) if that helps :smile: I will be changing to ESA soon, but the college are not aware of that, so really doesn't affect what they have told me.

I can't see those on Income Support being discriminated in such a way, if so then the government really has gone mad!! How would, say, a lone parent or someone with a disability pay a loan back whilst on IS? They are the most in need.

I don't know though, nothing surprises me any more :frown:

Original post by Marcth
That would mean for me it would cost £1500

Original post by loopyluc
I paid 1150 for mine......

:eek:

The price local to me is rather liberal compared to that. The maximum I have found it to be is £695! I wonder how they can justify such a difference? Location, maybe?

Manchester College (about 40 minutes away from me) charge £1500 & I nearly fainted when I seen the prices & didn't even think of applying. I didn't realise it was an upper average fee.
Reply 145
695 would have been better! Derby uni is where i am taking it. As I have a level 3 subject already i didnt get funding.

Lots of people on my course had problems with JSA andbeing on the course. The job centre were saying you will have to give up the course as you technically arent looking for work. but i think they sorted it in the end.
Reply 146
Hi,

Great thread, it's interesting to read everyone's experiences. I was hoping people could help give me some advice.

I've been looking at a few different courses that appeal to me the two basic ones that I need to decide on are Film & TV which I have an interest in and Science which after being diagnosed with Colitis and doing a lot of research to get well got me interested in this area. But the things that worry me the most are how to actually live while doing these courses.

How do people manage to finance themselves? I mostly do temp work after being made redundant last year and at the moment I'm on JSA which for some courses would take away most of the cost, but obviously I can't claim JSA while doing a course(as far as I know). I've asked the agencies I usually work for and they have been very negative about the possibility of finding part time work to fit around a course(though they say they could find full time work during breaks). I have bills that need to be paid and the travelling and materials cost of the course so as much as I want and need(employment wise) to do an access course I'm struggling to see how I can. So how do people manage?

Also some courses I like the look of need me to have some GCSE grade that I don't have. I'm thinking that maybe I wait a year save up some money, if the work is available, and do some GCSE's in the evening. My only hesitation is the fact I'm almost 36 and feel I need to get a move on and feel frustrated if I have to wait another year to get started.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just wondered if anyone could clear this up. I just enquired about the fees at the college I'll be studying at, and the lady I spoke to said that whether or not I have to pay the full fees depends on the structure of the course in that particular year - last year it was not classed as a full level three qualification, and if it's the same this year then I'll have to pay the full fees. I'm 21, and have only studied up to AS Level, so I was hoping I'd get some sort of fee waiver. I thought that all access courses were full level three qualifications, so does this mean they don't offer the full 45 credits at level three?!
Reply 148
If you're under 25 and haven't completed a Level 3 qualification before it's free, at least in the West Midlands area....
Original post by petite fille
Just wondered if anyone could clear this up. I just enquired about the fees at the college I'll be studying at, and the lady I spoke to said that whether or not I have to pay the full fees depends on the structure of the course in that particular year - last year it was not classed as a full level three qualification, and if it's the same this year then I'll have to pay the full fees. I'm 21, and have only studied up to AS Level, so I was hoping I'd get some sort of fee waiver. I thought that all access courses were full level three qualifications, so does this mean they don't offer the full 45 credits at level three?!

All access to he courses offer at least 45 level 3 credits. I am pretty sure of that.

However, I can't help you about the rest.:frown: Though I am surprised with that answer they gave you... :s-smilie:

Perhaps you could contact another college?
Original post by Tonyd
Hi,

Great thread, it's interesting to read everyone's experiences. I was hoping people could help give me some advice.

I've been looking at a few different courses that appeal to me the two basic ones that I need to decide on are Film & TV which I have an interest in and Science which after being diagnosed with Colitis and doing a lot of research to get well got me interested in this area. But the things that worry me the most are how to actually live while doing these courses.

How do people manage to finance themselves? I mostly do temp work after being made redundant last year and at the moment I'm on JSA which for some courses would take away most of the cost, but obviously I can't claim JSA while doing a course(as far as I know). I've asked the agencies I usually work for and they have been very negative about the possibility of finding part time work to fit around a course(though they say they could find full time work during breaks). I have bills that need to be paid and the travelling and materials cost of the course so as much as I want and need(employment wise) to do an access course I'm struggling to see how I can. So how do people manage?

Also some courses I like the look of need me to have some GCSE grade that I don't have. I'm thinking that maybe I wait a year save up some money, if the work is available, and do some GCSE's in the evening. My only hesitation is the fact I'm almost 36 and feel I need to get a move on and feel frustrated if I have to wait another year to get started.

If the college provides GCSE's equivalence in Maths and English (or other subjects yoy might need) then you don't need to have GCSE's equivalence before you start the course.

For instance, my course offers GCSE equivalence in English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics. People that already have GCSEs in those subjects are doing it anyway as it is always a boost. Then we also have units that are only level 3 obviously, as that is the main of course- to achieve at least 45 level 3 credits. :smile:

ABout the finances bit, I am not going to lie, it is tough. I only paid 125 pounds for the course but I spent a considerable amount in materials. I don't pay transport because I walk to college but also spend a bit on lunch (because I want to because you can bring lunch from home if you like). I will start, hopefully, to work as bank care assistant in a home for people with learning disabilities. Bank hours are good because you can choose when you want to work, however it has the downside of being quite unpredictable and in some weeks there may be no hours available. :s-smilie: Part-time is better as you have a steady income and it is perfectly doable. You are likely to have 2 days off in the week and the weekend off so you can perfectly work two of those days and still get two days off (which will be mostly to study though :P And this way u end up with no life but it's for a good cause :P).

Lots of budgeting and a pt job can get you there but you must plan that carefully so that you don't struggle during the course. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Threxy
If you're under 25 and haven't completed a Level 3 qualification before it's free, at least in the West Midlands area....

That's correct, and it is for the whole country:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033130

I have never heard that an access course is anything other than a full level 3 qualification. Certainly around here it is, as it leads to further study.

Have you tried different colleges?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm shocked too - I can't get my head around it, but I'll probably ring up again to find out exactly what that means. Thanks for all your replies!
Bit of advice for all, I did an Access course to do maths this year and it in no way properly prepares you for uni! Personally, I went through the whole A-level in the summer before I started uni and that put me in a much, much better position. From Access knowledge alone, I would've been so far behind, I would've really struggled!
I'm shocked too - I can't get my head around it, but I'll probably ring up again to find out exactly what that means. Thanks for all your replies!

Don't worry. You'll be fine. :hugs:

Original post by ThatsJustTooBad
Hi, is anyone doing there access to HE online via distance learning?

Hi ya.

I am doing an access course at college and I am not seing myself doing it online.
I advocate college, the experience, being there, meeting new people, going to the library... :smile:

Original post by Brit_Miller
Bit of advice for all, I did an Access course to do maths this year and it in no way properly prepares you for uni! Personally, I went through the whole A-level in the summer before I started uni and that put me in a much, much better position. From Access knowledge alone, I would've been so far behind, I would've really struggled!

This issue was already discusse before. Before giving such advice you should specifiy yourself a bit better, you sure don't want to put off fellow students like that. :tongue:

Access is a good alternative to people wanting to progress onto most courses, with the exception of courses in which you need to have a background in a specific suject, because it doesn't cover anything enough. I am on an Access to Health/Science and I am happy with my course but I am aware that if I wanted to do some courses I would not be prepared just with Access. For example, we'll do 3 credits in Biology. It is considered to be enough for a range of courses but if I wanted to study Biology at Uni, I would probably be less prepared than students coming straight from A levels. It really depends on what you want to do at Uni, I reckon.

I would definitely look into it more. I would be inclined to believe that you have been given some misguided information, although I can't say for definite. I'm afraid there's not much that shocks me when it involves this government.
Anyone know what the consequences (financial or otherwise) would be for dropping out of an Access Course? I'm just weighing up whether it's worth starting one half-heartedly or not.
Reply 157
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Anyone know what the consequences (financial or otherwise) would be for dropping out of an Access Course? I'm just weighing up whether it's worth starting one half-heartedly or not.

Its not worth starting one half hearted because you'd be taking up a place which could otherwise be filled by someone who is really serious about going to university.

I'm pretty sure on my access course I read some small print which said you wouldn't get a refund if you dropped out.
Original post by jami74
Its not worth starting one half hearted because you'd be taking up a place which could otherwise be filled by someone who is really serious about going to university.

I'm pretty sure on my access course I read some small print which said you wouldn't get a refund if you dropped out.

Good point. I don't mean to sound bad, it's just I'm having a pretty tough time at getting a job, and since I don't have good A Levels I thought I'd have a backup plan of maybe going to do an access course this year then go to uni, cos literally I am really stuck for opportunities right now :frown:
Reply 159
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Good point. I don't mean to sound bad, it's just I'm having a pretty tough time at getting a job, and since I don't have good A Levels I thought I'd have a backup plan of maybe going to do an access course this year then go to uni, cos literally I am really stuck for opportunities right now :frown:

Oh I see. Well I think being a student is far better than working full time but it doesn't help with the money side of things. I suppose it depends on what you are interested in studying, if it is more for a back-up plan then maybe a stand-alone course that might help you to get into employment would be a better idea. The problem with access courses is that they don't mean much other than as a way into university so they are a bit pointless unless you are going to go all the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending