Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recent Debate on the History Sub-Forum

Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed recently an influx of distinctively Anti-British threads on here recently. I personally do not find it tasteful or appropriate, so I kindly ask all Britain haters to stop posting - after all, it is a British website.

They are obviously trying to provoke a reaction.

Regards
    MacCuishy
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am too lazy to search but can you present more than a couple of recent examples? I'm not suggesting you're wrong, I'd just like to see the real cause for complaint.

I don't see anything wrong with historical debates about Britain's past actions. I don't think moral judgement is the most important task of a historian, but certainly it is historical fact that Britain has always been worse than Nazi Germany. I think it is appropriate to mention this - after all, I am a German citizen. I find that your post provokes a reaction, which is obviously a most heinous crime for a historian to commit.

Regards.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    I have noticed recently an influx of distinctively Anti-British threads on here recently. I personally do not find it tasteful or appropriate, so I kindly ask all Britain haters to stop posting - after all, it is a British website.

They are obviously trying to provoke a reaction.

Regards
    MacCuishy

yes, i see what you mean. i come across these anti british, anti western arguments quite a lot. they all follow the same pattern. people seems to be very aware of every single negative thing ever done by the west but are totally ignorant of the history of other empires. they seem to think the west has ruled the world forever which could not be further from the truth.

i think its got something to do with the self hate that infected intellectual life in the 1920s.(that what george orwell said anyway)

thats when the anti western influence of soviet union and marxism really started to take hold. it was about deconstructing the west. and now its infected the education system. its inciting a lot of hatred towards the majority people because there are lot of ethnic minorities now.

people need to challenge it by sticking up for the west and by pointing out its positive contributions. while also pointing out the crimes and genocides and slave systems of other people, who were far worse.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Certain people acting anonymously on a student website with a large following will always start threads or say things to provoke others, you ****er. (Just kidding.) I do think, however, that historical debate should be relegated to the History Forum and therefore any threads critical of Britain due to its history should be presented here, just as threads critical of our foreign policy should be presented in the International Affairs Forum etc.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 27, 2011
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.