The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snyte
Hello,
I have a question about the structure of the MA (Social Sciences) degree. Here (http://www.gla.ac.uk/colleges/socialsciences/students/socialsciences/massdegreestructure/) it seems that I am obliged to take two social science courses, while here: (http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_413989_en.pdf) there are other options included under "Group A b)"So my question is, is it possible to take for example Economics, Mathematics and Statistics in the first year, or is it not an option?

Hi there!
I know that it is possible to take for example philosophy as a "social sciences" subject even though it's actually an arts subject - so there might be some exceptions. However, I think the reason why you are recommended to take two social sciences subjects might be that in case you don't get into/don't want to do honours with your first subject (for example economics), you still have the opportunity to do honours in another subject within the college (for example politics). I recommend you email [email protected] (if it's economics you're interested in).

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Esekanayo_
Thanks, I was wondering if the entry requirements of AAB also shows the grades that students who get accepted receive? I thought it was odd how low the requirements are considering how good the university is. Do the students they accept actually get these grades or much higher?

Hi there,

Sorry that I can't really answer that, as I am an EU student myself. I know that at least for EU students the entry requirements are high, and psychology at Glasgow is quite a competitive course. I think your personal statement and references matter as well. But there will be clever people from all different kinds of backgrounds which is amazing: some Scottish, some from elsewhere in the UK, some international, EU-students, mature students... I recommend you contact the Psychology department/admissions if you want a better answer :biggrin:

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
Original post by Jimmyjamjames
Hello University of Glasgow I am a student waiting to start on one of your courses in September this year.

However i had previously been informed that i had to have a MyCampus account which i would have access to over the summer.
I have yet to find any more information so ask you as to when i may expect the MyCampus details to be delivered to my Email address?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I got mine 15 August (please note things might have changed since 2012!)

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
Hello, I am an EU national and I had an offer which asked four exams to be at 85% and average grade to be 90%. However, one of my exams is just below (81%) and the average is 88.75%. Do I still hold a chance of getting in?
Hello.

I'm an international student willing to study Biochemistry in Glasgow. My exam results are high but it misses the offer by 3%. It makes me so nervous so I would like to ask whether competition on this course is high this year or is it impossible to tell my chances to get accepted?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but do you know where I might find the reading list for English Literature 1A 2016-2017?

Thanks,
Katy
Reply 566
Hello,
I have a conditional offer for Dentistry at Glasgow starting after the summer and I am having trouble finding term times. When is fresher's week and what date do we actually start our course? That is if i meet my offer of course! Thank you
Original post by bzc
Hello,
I have a conditional offer for Dentistry at Glasgow starting after the summer and I am having trouble finding term times. When is fresher's week and what date do we actually start our course? That is if i meet my offer of course! Thank you

Fresher's Week is taking place 12-18 September. The term and the lessons start at 19 September.
I am speaking for a friend.

I have heard that the university of Glasgow does not accept transfer students, is that correct?
Reply 569
Hello, when will the Access to student emails be sent? I will be studying a Music MA and I already have my grades from last year to be eligible for the course?
Do you mean access to academic registration?You can see the link, its on the section "Access to registration"
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/registration/#/accesstoregistration
Reply 571
Original post by Evgenia_N
Do you mean access to academic registration?You can see the link, its on the section "Access to registration"
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/registration/#/accesstoregistration

That's not it, they need to send me an email so I can register and enrol on my courses
Original post by Jj9798
That's not it, they need to send me an email so I can register and enrol on my courses

Should be fairly soon, registration for new students always opens soon after the one for continuing students (which is Thursday this week). *Actually yeah that link says new students registration opens 22nd August so next week probably?*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 573
Original post by Vitamin D
Should be fairly soon, registration for new students always opens soon after the one for continuing students (which is Thursday this week). *Actually yeah that link says new students registration opens 22nd August so next week probably?*

I hope so! I'm just worried if I've missed something out to do!
Is it possible to switch subjects before starting? I'm down for biology, but I think I'd like to do physics instead.
Reply 575
Hello!

I am about to study science at Glasgow and I chose Astronomy and Psychology as additional subjects. I want to ask if it's ok that I'm not going to study Mathematics. Is it required for Astronomy like it is for Physics or do the Astronomy classes cover the math needed? In the course catalogue it says that in order to progress to Physics 2 you need to have studied maths during the first year. There is no such thing written in the Astronomy page. Does this mean I can study Astronomy without studying Mathematics?
Hi there, im about to study the Product Design Engineering at Glasgow, and after registering i have been unable to enroll because i just do not understand how the system works. Ive looked on various UoG guides and help pages and none have helped. What should i do?
Hello, does anyone know what the opening hours for the Stevenson Building are during term time?
Reply 578
I have an unconditional msc mechanical engineering offer and would like to get full list of subjects + descriptions + reading lists please.
Reply 579
Hi, i am a year twelve student searching through undergraduate courses, i am interested in the chemical physics msci with a year in industry, can someone please tell me the modules studied in this course even if they arent confirmed for 2018, i would just like an idea of what happens in the course

Quick Reply

Latest