The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi, just wondering, what's the best way to get to the vet school from Wolfson Hall? Thanks!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 121
Original post by munchen102
Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm too late but anyway:

I received an unconditional offer for aeronautical engineering (beng) and I'm wondering by the 3rd or 4th year would it would be possible to move on to the (meng)? Also, would the people who applied for the meng and the beng be in the same class for the first few years?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I was told on the open day was that it doesn't matter what course you start off in. When it comes to third year if you do well enough you will be allow to change from the BEng to the MEng, so I take it class will be the same for the first couple of years ( ie BEng and Meng's are together). The talk was pretty interesting on the open day and I seen some people who also went to the physics talk too.
Original post by Direct15
From what I was told on the open day was that it doesn't matter what course you start off in. When it comes to third year if you do well enough you will be allow to change from the BEng to the MEng, so I take it class will be the same for the first couple of years ( ie BEng and Meng's are together). The talk was pretty interesting on the open day and I seen some people who also went to the physics talk too.

Ok thanks! I was there too but I was just confused too why there are two options! Did you apply for physics or aeronautical engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I've applied for Film and Televison this year but haven't heard back yet...I applied more than a month ago now and I know others who have applied for the same course (who achieved the same grades as me) and have been accepted for the course already! Should I be worried, or am I just being silly?:s-smilie:
Reply 124
Original post by munchen102
Ok thanks! I was there too but I was just confused too why there are two options! Did you apply for physics or aeronautical engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aeronautical engineering, thought I had nothing to lose by going to the physics lecture- wasn't my cup of tea.
Hi all, I just signed up and I'm completely new to this....

My question is whether my qualifications can get me into the U of Glasgow for either the business school (something in either economic development or international economics) or the geography department as a MRes in Human Geography. I'll be applying for a postgraduate Masters.

Currently, I'm a sophomore at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. It's a flagship school of New York in the United States. I'm a double major in economics and international trade (dept. of geography), with a minor in geographic information systems and cartography. My GPA is a 3.09 right now, my geography GPA is a 3.8 while my economics GPA is a 3.0.

I'm currently doing research with the food systems planning and healthy communities lab, it's a small lab of about 15 researchers and we're funded by the USDA (total is $7 million in research dollars). I also have a marketing internship at the same time. In terms of clubs, I am currently establishing the Undergraduate Geography Association in the geo department, I'm the Director of Marketing for the largest club on campus (6,000+ members), and I'm in a professional business Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi.

Whatcha guys think?
Reply 126
Original post by EconTrade4255
Hi all, I just signed up and I'm completely new to this....

My question is whether my qualifications can get me into the U of Glasgow for either the business school (something in either economic development or international economics) or the geography department as a MRes in Human Geography. I'll be applying for a postgraduate Masters.

Currently, I'm a sophomore at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. It's a flagship school of New York in the United States. I'm a double major in economics and international trade (dept. of geography), with a minor in geographic information systems and cartography. My GPA is a 3.09 right now, my geography GPA is a 3.8 while my economics GPA is a 3.0.

I'm currently doing research with the food systems planning and healthy communities lab, it's a small lab of about 15 researchers and we're funded by the USDA (total is $7 million in research dollars). I also have a marketing internship at the same time. In terms of clubs, I am currently establishing the Undergraduate Geography Association in the geo department, I'm the Director of Marketing for the largest club on campus (6,000+ members), and I'm in a professional business Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi.

Whatcha guys think?

have a look here:smile:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_205182_en.pdf
Reply 127
Hi, I've applied for 2013 entry to glasgow but i'm thinking of changing it since i'm not really sure what languages are like here, i saw online that the lang. department nearly closed down a couple of years ago... I'm applying for french and russian.

I'm particularly looking for info on what Russian is like here.
Hi, i was wondering when the veterinary applicants will hear about offers/ rejections after interviews??
Reply 129
Hello

I'm currently studying Business & Management in my first year. I was just wondering if the first year counts towards your final result, i.e. 2:1? And also does the grades of your third subject in first year appear at all in later years??

Thanks
Original post by HigXx
Hi, I recieved 2 Unconditionals last night for Chemistry and Chemistry With Work Placement. I was just wondering if anyone could help me find out the difference between the two...

Essentially there's no difference apart from in 4th year you do a work placement in the UK or abroad, and come back for 5th year, which is essentially what you'd do if you didn't do the work placement and went right into 4th year. I think the 5th year masters courses are the same as the 4th year honours ones but slightly harder. You need at least a B3 in Chemistry in second year to get onto the opportunity to apply for a work placement. If you take the offer for the work placement and get a C1 and a C2 in the chemistry courses in 2nd year, you'll only be allowed to do the BSc.
How many people share rooms in first year accommodation? (Seems too weird for me, I don't mind staying in hostels for a while but couldn't handle it at uni)

Also when did you apply for SAAS finance, my problem is I need to spend 3 months in the country of which I'm a national, but I'm travelling till May which would mean I cant prove I'm an EU student till August. Too late? Or will I still receive it at some point ...?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jamie1994
Hello

I'm currently studying Business & Management in my first year. I was just wondering if the first year counts towards your final result, i.e. 2:1? And also does the grades of your third subject in first year appear at all in later years??

Thanks

No, it doesn't. Your grades from Third and Fourth year count towards your degree classification. All your grades from all your subjects do appear on your transcript, though.
Hi there. I applied mid December to study English literature/language and was just wondering when the latest is that you respond to applications?
Original post by lilyrawstorne
How many people share rooms in first year accommodation? (Seems too weird for me, I don't mind staying in hostels for a while but couldn't handle it at uni)

Also when did you apply for SAAS finance, my problem is I need to spend 3 months in the country of which I'm a national, but I'm travelling till May which would mean I cant prove I'm an EU student till August. Too late? Or will I still receive it at some point ...?

It depends which halls you apply for. Almost all of them are single occupation rooms but I think the Carincross residence has rooms that you share with another student. You can specify on your accommodation application if you want to share a room or not. It's not very common at all though.

As for SAAS - where are you from? If you live in England, you can't apply to SAAS - you need to apply through Student Finance England. English students aren't classed EU students. If you're actually an EU student then you should apply "as soon as possible". If you apply in August, you will still get the money, but it won't be in time for the start of term and you'd probably be looking at receiving it in about November, depending on how many applications need to be processed. Usually a lot!
Reply 135
Original post by lilyrawstorne

If you have dual nationality with another EU country and the UK (outside Scotland) then you can't be classed as an EU student. It was because of the loophole whereby Northern Irish students could get an Irish passport to have their fees paid for by SAAS, and unfortunately it would affect you too. I think it's three years you have to live in Scotland or citizenship in a non-UK, EU country though?
Original post by Harve
If you have dual nationality with another EU country and the UK (outside Scotland) then you can't be classed as an EU student. It was because of the loophole whereby Northern Irish students could get an Irish passport to have their fees paid for by SAAS, and unfortunately it would affect you too. I think it's three years you have to live in Scotland or citizenship in a non-UK, EU country though?

They're very cagey about it but the current rule is 3 months residency in the county from which you're a national with documentation to prove it, I'm on a gap year travelling so I'd basically have to cut my travelling short, move to Ireland (I'm half Irish) and prove I've stayed there till August 1st. It's a pain in the arse to get documents like that so quickly but it should be worth it. It's such a kick in the teeth that UK people have to pay for EU students to go so I don't feel guilty about taking advantage of their loophole! Obviously they make it as hard as possible but I'm fulfilling their current requirements so hopefully it'll work :/
Would It be too late to apply for a transfer to Glasgow? (Archaeology and Religious studies)?
Can someone please tell me the teaching style used in the dentistry course-is it pbl or traditional? Thanks!
Reply 139
Original post by student106
Can someone please tell me the teaching style used in the dentistry course-is it pbl or traditional? Thanks!

It's traditional.

Quick Reply

Latest