Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest Rapper of all time

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get out of here with Enimen, Kanye or any other trash.
    Go listen to some real music.
    Nas/Biggie is what you should be listening to

Get schooled.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    Well he was the first to invent 'flow' of rap. Without him the good rappers would have not existed.
    That's the dumbest argument you can ever say. Just because he pioneered something doesn't mean it would have never existed.

He deserves credit for being the first to do it, not for being the only person who could have ever started it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nas
    lupe
    jay z
    biggie

im actually surprised at JB freestyle it was alright
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tyler, the creator.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rami101)
    being ahead of his time doesn't make him the greatest. He was also the first to properly use multi-syllable rhyme schemes...he's been hugely influential and deserves respect for his innovation, but many rappers (imo over 30) since Paid In Full have been better than him.
    I never said that. Yeah he invented multi-syllabic rhymes, and flow then obviously the rappers of today will use that but make it 'better'.

In modern rap, nothing is original and ifferent anymore because it was all copied by someone from somewhere, he had no-one to copy. It's hard to actually invent something from the 'core'.

Anyhow in your opinion who do you believe is a good rapper (not mainsteam), even though that is such a broad question.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Nas

/thread
    Oh my actual god finally someone who knows/

ask anyone who has listened to the greats of rap music, actually read the lyrics.

2pac , BIG ,Raekwon, Rakim, Nas,

ask anyone who knows what they're talking about and they will say pac big or nas

Imo nas had better lyrics by miles and was just generally better at songwriting and delivery, arguably B.I.G had a better flow but yeah

my 2cents

teenagers these days have no idea its insane to think their idea of good rap music is drake and lil wayne. in the 80's or 90's they would be laughed out of every rap record label in america.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    That's the dumbest argument you can ever say. Just because he pioneered something doesn't mean it would have never existed.

He deserves credit for being the first to do it, not for being the only person who could have ever started it.
    I'm just stating an argument as to why that other guy said it. Doesn't mean i think he's the best rapper. I'm just making a point as why he may be seen as the greatest rapper.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    RZA
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I never said that.
    of course you did. This thread is titled "best rapper of all time?" and you said Rakim.

Yeah he invented multi-syllabic rhymes, and flow then obviously the rappers of today will use that but make it 'better'.

Yeah he invented multi-syllabic rhymes, and flow then obviously the rappers of today will use that but make it 'better'.
    so you're saying Rakim's the best rapper ever...even though you acknowledge there are better rappers? lol.

Anyhow in your opinion who do you believe is a good rapper (not mainsteam), even though that is such a broad question.
    lol at "not mainstream"...you remind me of myself back when I was 14. I could be here all day listing rappers I think are good. For the record, I do think Rakim's good, just nowhere near the best.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Based purely on bars, Tupac wasn't great. If you say otherwise, you know nothing about rapping.

If you say he's great because of his message, fair enough, but you don't need a good message to be a good rapper.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    of course you did. This thread is titled "best rapper of all time?" and you said Rakim.

so you're saying Rakim's the best rapper ever...even though you acknowledge there are better rappers? lol.

lol at "not mainstream"...you remind me of myself back when I was 14. I could be here all day listing rappers I think are good. For the record, I do think Rakim's good, just nowhere near the best.
    I never said rakim lol that other guy did! i said celine dion man......!!!!! go back and read it properly.

Why is saying 'not mainstream' funny
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    side note: I love seeing the elitism by people who obviously don't know a great deal about hip hop but try to make up for it by listing the generic "greats" accompanied by phrases like "ask anyone who knows what they're talking about and they will say pac big or nas"

Then they'll drop a universally widely held belief among regular/experienced rap listeners like "Imo nas had better lyrics but arguably B.I.G had a better flow but yeah" adding the "Imo" to make it look like they haven't just repeated word for word a phrase they read somewhere.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    GZA
    Prodigy in his prime was also amazing, probably not the best

Pac/Biggie are over-rated lol
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Omg,

this is so funny, and such a fail
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I never said rakim lol that other guy did! i said celine dion man......!!!!! go back and read it properly.

Why is saying 'not mainstream' funny
    my mistake...you quoting my post with what you wrote made it look like you agreed with the guy who said Rakim

saying "not mainstream" is funny because it's usually people who don't know much about rap or have only been listening properly for a couple years who have the "everything that's not underground can't be good" attitude....ever heard of Lupe Fiasco? The Roots? Eminem? Kanye West? Jay-Z? J. Cole?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    my mistake...you quoting my post with what you wrote made it look like you agreed with the guy who said Rakim

saying "not mainstream" is funny because it's usually people who don't know much about rap or have only been listening properly for a couple years who have the "everything that's not underground can't be good" attitude....ever heard of Lupe Fiasco? The Roots? Eminem? Kanye West? Jay-Z? J. Cole?
    Fair enough, no i'm not an expert at rap...but i do have opinions. Also i said 'not mainstream' so it narrows down the question....you're misinterepreting everything i'm writing :facepalm:
    *but actually i like lil wayne, people stil diss me till this day*

Yes heard of all of them.

Although Kanye West is a hated individual, what does he do to make his rapping skills so good?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rap sucks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :s
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    ever heard of Lupe Fiasco? Eminem? Kanye West? Jay-Z? J. Cole?
    *Listens to each of their latest releases*

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ^WTT was good though

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 28, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.