Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest Rapper of all time

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread needs to die and The Blueprint is not Jays best album, it's easily one of the most overrated albums of all time. I rated The Blueprint classic status but re listened to it recently and it's not a great album, anyone who rates The Blueprint a classic believes whatever a magazine review tells them or they are simply pop fans. I rate Jay as a good rapper and I think he definitely has two classic albums but even I will admit his success is down to luck and arselicking.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThaChronic)
    This thread needs to die and The Blueprint is not Jays best album, it's easily one of the most overrated albums of all time. I rated The Blueprint classic status but re listened to it recently and it's not a great album, anyone who rates The Blueprint a classic believes whatever a magazine review tells them or they are simply pop fans. I rate Jay as a good rapper and I think he definitely has two classic albums but even I will admit his success is down to luck and arselicking.
    Exactly, what makes it so great? What did it do that gives it classic status?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Nothing really, the production was okay I guess and lyrically it was poor. I think Black Album did what The Blueprint tried to do but did it a lot better.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThaChronic)
    Nothing really, the production was okay I guess and lyrically it was poor. I think Black Album did what The Blueprint tried to do but did it a lot better.
    The production of both is very over-rated. His music has simple structure, prominent choruses often sang by whichever R'n'B songstress happens to be famous at that time, monotonous riffs, catchy melodies with some Hip-Hop drums and rapping thrown in to qualify it as Hip-Hop in pop fans' eyes.

His music is made to be as unimaginitive and unthreatening as possible because that allows it to appeal to the widest audience. It's never pushed the boundaries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greatest Rapper of All Time...
    Tough question, my personal favourite is Eminem because of the rap tunes I listen to he makes up the majority of them.

However if it truly is the greatest 'rapper' of all time then you have to look at Rakim and Nas for me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mean he stole it and watered it down.

Jay-Z signed Rihanna and is constantly affiliated with her at the age of 40-odd, that's not the same as Nas getting a beat off Dre.

Also Jay-Z's albums aren't good, they're boring and he just sounds insecure, he doesn't do anything new.

And lol @ that last paragraph, you're using record sales and the charts again.

You can't shy away from the fact that Jay-Z is not an innovator. Taking something that already exists and making it popular isn't innovation. Every step Jay-Z has trodden in his career was already well worn by somebody else. He's a fraud.
    Stole it and watered it down? So if an artist makes music in the same genre as another artist who's already done it, then that's stealing it? As for watering it down, that's BS. It can't be considered "watered down" seeing as Jay-Z's style is completely different to the style of Wu-Tang & its members.

Nas did much more than just get one beat off Dr. Dre... But whatever, if you want a better example, that's like saying Eminem "arselicks" Dr. Dre. Collaboration =/= "arselicking".

Jay-Z isn't an innovator, so what? Not many rappers are innovators.

If you think Jay-Z hasn't made good music, lol ok.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Eminem
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Blueprint is like a hip hop opera, the beats are seriously timeless and it changed the mainstream perception of what hip hop sounds like, in terms of how samples should be used and in the sense that samples should be used at all since sampled hip hop was waning in mainstream popularity again. Kanye and Blaze's beats on that album helped define the next decade of beats. How many other producers do you think were building songs out of a Doors sample at that time? Even the more bait tunes are big, **** like 'Jigga that *****' defined a whole genre of club hip hop, all that Arabic-influenced Scott Storch **** owes a lot to that beat. Plus as far as the Takeover is concerned it's a better diss track than Ether, people just root for Ether cause Nas is seen as the underdog so when Jay is talking about how Nas is this runt kid fronting and **** it doesn't appeal as much as Nas being scrappy. In terms of who had the best lines, Jay basically deconstructs Nas' whole persona as bull**** and illegitimises the 'street portrait' character of Illmatic which is a big call, 'I showed you your first tec on tour with Large Professor' changes Illmatic into social commentary from a kid who just pretends to know whereas you can tell when Nas says **** about Jay getting chased back in 88 and coming to Nas for help it's bull****. He calls Nas' whole identity as a rapper into question. He doesn't go deep into the personal disses because he really doesn't need to, he had a few beefs at once at that time and just brought them down quickly in a verse each before summarising at the end that ultimately he doesn't give a **** and they're all just a minor anyway. Plus you only need to look at Jay's 'Supa Ugly' freestyle after 'Ether' to see he could body Nas if he wanted to, it's just that he needed to be pushed enough to care enough about Nas, which meant he dropped Supa Ugly at the wrong time. I could say more but cba
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tupac Shakur.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    problem is we dont give a **** about the mainstream popular of hip hop. Mainstream perception of hip hop is embarrasing and does not capture anything about hip hop but instead perceives it as "they rhyme stuff and act gangsta"

The golden era of hip hop has long gone and there doesnt seem like another one is coming any time soon.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the emotion in this thread is high, mans are mad.

Personally, the question is too generic, greatest rapper depending on what success? Lyrical content? Flows?

Plus people listen to Hip-Hop for subjective reasons, one of my favourite rappers is Kanye (more College Dropout/Late Registration but his new stuff is still good) but I would never claim he was one of greatest, that would be naive.

But otherwise, cool thread bros
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Wow, the emotion in this thread is high, mans are mad.

Personally, the question is too generic, greatest rapper depending on what success? Lyrical content? Flows?

Plus people listen to Hip-Hop for subjective reasons, one of my favourite rappers is Kanye (more College Dropout/Late Registration but his new stuff is still good) but I would never claim he was one of greatest, that would be naive.

But otherwise, cool thread bros

I guess a lot of people have a passion for hip hop. I agree with your second point.

Only problem i have is when people use album sales to justify good hip hop music. Some of the best hip hop tunes may be known by every hardcore hip hop fan but outside these communities hardly anyone knows them.

I remember i was talking to someone about the freestyle at the end of 8 mile and I was talking about how it was awesome how the shook ones chorus was used in it and he and a lot of others were thinking wtf (could see it on their face)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.