The Student Room Group

What "crimes against humanity" are we as 21st century humans responsible for?

Things such as witch hunts, the slave trade, imperialist massacres, Jewish persecution, imprisoning homosexuals all seemed normal or at least permissible to the people that existed during that era. If everyone is doing it, and it is part of normal life and it is within the law, then there would be little to protest about.

So what do you think humanity will look back on in 100, 500 or 1000 years and think "wow, how did people allow X to happen? How could they all sit by and let that happen?"

Mine would be:

Global warming. Some people treat recycling and being environmentally friendly like it's an additional "good thing" you can do but isn't essential. Nobody seems to want to actively confront the fact that the way we live has to completely change; if we carry on the way we are lots and lots of people are going to die and most of them will be poor.

There are others but I think this is the main thing our era will be viewed with just total astonishment that we allowed this to happen despite knowing the consequences of our actions.

Scroll to see replies

The Iraq War
Reply 2
america will go down in history as a despicable nation with the blood of millions on their hands
Poverty: the idea that somebody can be so disadvantaged, usually through no fault of their own, as to be unable to function in society to their full potential would surely be incredulous to an advanced human society. It's a waste of perfectly good human beings and creates innumerable social problems.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Poverty: the idea that somebody can be so disadvantaged, usually through no fault of their own, as to be unable to function in society to their full potential would surely be incredulous to an advanced human society. It's a waste of perfectly good human beings and creates innumerable social problems.

I think it's easy to be critical and hold up false idylls when the reality makes them not at all feasible. History is plagued by people and movements offering an unobtainable utopia. Ask Lenin, ask Hitler. Saying "there should be no poverty - it is bad" is patronising, naive, vague and way too complex a problem than you make it sound. imo
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Lack of action to prevent global warming, over population and the dramatic rise in power held by multinational corporations.
Reply 6
Toss up between social inequality, religious fundamentalism, Guantanamo and JBiebz.
Reply 7
The huge amount of anti depressants that get prescribed by GPs.
Letting women think it's acceptable to be fat and changing it to the term 'curves'.

The good news is that they will most probably (and hopefully, for the sake of the human gene pool) die of coronary heart disease, heart failure, cholesterol, diabetes etc.

Nothing more amusing than when a fat girl says "EHHH WHY YOU CALL ME FAT? :angry: I'M CURVY FOR YOUR INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rofl:

fat bitches be loco.
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
Things such as witch hunts, the slave trade, imperialist massacres, Jewish persecution, imprisoning homosexuals all seemed normal or at least permissible to the people that existed during that era. If everyone is doing it, and it is part of normal life and it is within the law, then there would be little to protest about.

So what do you think humanity will look back on in 100, 500 or 1000 years and think "wow, how did people allow X to happen? How could they all sit by and let that happen?"

Mine would be:

Global warming. Some people treat recycling and being environmentally friendly like it's an additional "good thing" you can do but isn't essential. Nobody seems to want to actively confront the fact that the way we live has to completely change; if we carry on the way we are lots and lots of people are going to die and most of them will be poor.

There are others but I think this is the main thing our era will be viewed with just total astonishment that we allowed this to happen despite knowing the consequences of our actions.

I think in the future one of the big things people will look back on and think is barbaric is not so much our crimes against humanity, but rather crimes against living things in general.
The way we treat animals, especially tasty ones, is really disgraceful, and people just aren't aware of the things that go on. I'm all for eating meat but a lot of it is produced in a very cruel way that sacrifices as much compassion as is legally possible, to maximise profits.
Reply 10
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Letting women think it's acceptable to be fat and changing it to the term 'curves'.

The good news is that they will most probably (and hopefully, for the sake of the human gene pool) die of coronary heart disease, heart failure, cholesterol, diabetes etc.

Nothing more amusing than when a fat girl says "EHHH WHY YOU CALL ME FAT? :angry: I'M CURVY FOR YOUR INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rofl:

fat bitches be loco.

Uhhh that depends. You can still be fat (not obese) and healthy.

And I'd like to add to the list the objectification of women in the media.
the internet. clearly.
Original post by Strüberry
Toss up between social inequality, religious fundamentalism, Guantanamo

None of these things are unique to the 21st century. They've existed for centuries and probably for centuries to come.
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
The Iraq War

No way will that be in the worldwide (let alone national) consciousness in 100 years from now. Global warming will because we're participants in the potential deaths of millions because we're too selfish to change (me included).

Edit: the only addition I have is animal torture. We buy food from tortured animals, knowing they've been tortured but accepting it anyway. You don't have to be a vegetarian to be appalled by the way we treat our animals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I'm pretty sure at least one person has be physically hurt, that is a crime against humanity.
Reply 16
Not a crime against humanity, but I have a feeling that eventually everyone will be vegetarian, or at least will eat only artificially produced meat, and will look back at our generation and see us as savages.
Reply 17
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
The Iraq War

Leaving dictators in place.
Depends entirely on the world-view of the future.

But if I were to guess, I would also say global warming, or possibly something to do with economics - as they're the kind of areas where some fundamental change will occur at some point in the future (especially climate-change/global warming) which we have either a) put off or b) been too pre-occupied with other problems to do anything about.
Reply 19
The power wielded by Corporate CEOs because they are friends with high powered politicians.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending