The Student Room Group

Don't have a Clue which A-level to pick!

Yeah well I'm in year 11 and I'm applying for my local college and my school's sixth form to do A-levels. Well I don't have a clue which 4 A-levels to pick so I'll list the rades am getting at the moment and how much I enjoy them.
English Language-B 5/10
English lit-B 4/10
Maths-A/B 9/10
Additional Science-A 9/10
R.E- A 4/10
I.C.T- D 1/10
History- A 6/10
French-B 5/10
Business Studies A 6/10
Reply 1
Hey, welcome to the site:smile:

I don't think you should look at the grades but rather which subjects you enjoy most:smile:
History is a subject that bores me, even though I used to get high marks in it, thanks to my good memory:biggrin: So I dropped it!
English Literature is worse, because we have to learn FAKE history.
English Language and science are good though :u:
and so is business studies and it's always good to know an extra language :h:
If you're good at maths and you enjoy it, then you're lucky and you should do it!
Anyway, these are just my opinions.
I hope you make the right choice, have a good time in college and here too:wink:
Reply 2
Check out the method of assessment for each a level and pick a combination of ones which you like the subject and like the method of assessment
Do you know what you want to do after A-level? Some subjects are more relevant than others for a particular degree course. From the information you've given I'd suggest Maths and a couple of sciences, plus maybe History as a fourth AS-level, but without knowing more about you it's hard to say.
Reply 4
if you dont know what you want to do after a levels or what career you want i'd say pick maths, two sciences and maybe history.
maths and sciences are highly regarded and you enjoy them the most and your doing well in them. picking a written based subject like history broadens you future opportunities, your clearly good at it if your on an A and you can drop it after a year. you could pick 3 sciences and not do history but this restricts your university and career choices and may get very difficult and boring.

Quick Reply

Latest