Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Needing a GCSE in a modern foreign language for Uni?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, 3 out of the 5 universities I wish to apply to require ( Warwick) or prefer an MFL GCSE, I don't have one and an currently an AS level student. So does it matter? and if so how do I go about getting this GCSE despite having left high school? Any infomation/advice will be greatly apperciate. I desperately want to go to Warwick
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillingLoneliness)
    Hey there, 3 out of the 5 universities I wish to apply to require ( Warwick) or prefer an MFL GCSE, I don't have one and an currently an AS level student. So does it matter? and if so how do I go about getting this GCSE despite having left high school? Any infomation/advice will be greatly apperciate. I desperately want to go to Warwick
    I didn't know Warwick needed a GCSE in a MFL? I thought it was only UCL and Edinburgh? Which course?

If they ask for it, it probably does matter, and it could give admissions tutors an easy reason to reject you - which of course, you don't want. Having said that, if your school didn't offer it at GCSE then they will let it slide as long as your school mentions this in the reference, and you will usually have to make up the requirement at uni.

You could always get your school to put you in for a MFL GCSE, and just try and learn the course yourself at home?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    History is the course I want to do and it said it requires it and my school did offer it but in year 9, I wasn't exactly looking at Universities and wondering if I'd need it, you know?

How would I go about getting my school to put me in for it and do you think it'd cost?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    I didn't know Warwick needed a GCSE in a MFL? I thought it was only UCL and Edinburgh? Which course?

If they ask for it, it probably does matter, and it could give admissions tutors an easy reason to reject you - which of course, you don't want. Having said that, if your school didn't offer it at GCSE then they will let it slide as long as your school mentions this in the reference, and you will usually have to make up the requirement at uni.

You could always get your school to put you in for a MFL GCSE, and just try and learn the course yourself at home?
    History is the course I want to do and it said it requires it and my school did offer it but in year 9, I wasn't exactly looking at Universities and wondering if I'd need it, you know?

How would I go about getting my school to put me in for it and do you think it'd cost?
    Positive Rating!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillingLoneliness)

To get yourself put in for it, go to the schools exam's officer, or the most senior member of staff and talk to them about being put in for it, and they should be able to sort things out. Also talk to whoever is responsible for teaching languages at your school, as part of the course requires a speaking test. Your school might pay it for you, otherwise if you put yourself in for the papers in June, it should cost you about £20 a paper (I think) and I think there two papers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    To get yourself put in for it, go to the schools exam's officer, or the most senior member of staff and talk to them about being put in for it, and they should be able to sort things out. Also talk to whoever is responsible for teaching languages at your school, as part of the course requires a speaking test. Your school might pay it for you, otherwise if you put yourself in for the papers in June, it should cost you about £20 a paper (I think) and I think there two papers.
    I will, thanks alot
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it ridiculous and horrendously pathetic that some universities require people to have a GCSE in MFL when the degree they're looking for has absolutely balls all to do with foreign languages.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I realised after applying last year that York needed a MFL. I emailed explaining my situation and they gave me an Offer. If you explain they can be lenient.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2011
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.