The Student Room Group

Nato helicopters kill Pakistan checkpoint soldiers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saleri
Thanks, looks like most people posting here have also just completely looked over the real issues that divide Pakistan and jump on the anti-religion train.

I think the way the international community think that religion is the cause of the issues benefits a lot of the corrupt politicians and gangsters in Pakistan to carry out their their Sectarian activities of power and domination

If people really want to know why there is so much demostic terrorism in Pakistan, then start with this story. If you start investigating the political parties that run Pakistan, you will find a rabbit hole of corruption and political gang violence that polarises the country.

Pakistani politicians know that the west have this idea of Islam and terrorism, so they just tell the west that they are "moderate" Muslims who want to bring Islamic Pakistan into the modern world, then those political leaders receive endorsement and asylum in western countries.

are these 'corrupt politicians' and 'gansters' blamed for carrying out major sectarian/religous attacks/violence in pakistan? Surely the majority of this BS occurs because of certain religous schools in paksitan inciting illiterate, moronic pakistanis to carry out such attacks in the name of islam.

yes the main reason why pakistan is such a ****hole is because of corruption, but the religion element cannot be ignored. The religion itself is not the problem, but its certain elements of the religion and groups who represent them who cause the problems .... The religious dimension cannot be ignored .....
Reply 121
Original post by Sephiroth
I doubt it. It would just result in another war in the Middle East. None of the other Middle East stepped in to help Afghanistan or Iraq back in the day.

The only way a world war will begin is if the west attacks China, Russia or one of their allies (without agreement). Or if it happens the other way around.

Pakistan has better connections in the world? Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, China...
Reply 122
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
are these 'corrupt politicians' and 'gansters' blamed for carrying out major sectarian/religous attacks/violence in pakistan? Surely the majority of this BS occurs because of certain religous schools in paksitan inciting illiterate, moronic pakistanis to carry out such attacks in the name of islam.

Most of the violence that goes on is political not religious. The majority of violence is to do with the politics. This is the view the west has, completely convinced that it's Islamic when hardly any of it is Islamic rather political/sectarian/racial.

The islamic terrorists have a specific style of suicide bombs once every few months. political violence happens every other week. But the number of victims from Islamic based terrorism in Karachi is nothing compared to the 1000(at least) who have been killed due to sectarian violence.

Western news has trouble reporting this because it has no clue why and where the violence comes from. Just before eid Balochis kidnapped several people in Karachi just because they spoke Urdu. Pakhtuns in Karachi are being killed just for their race.

My old neighbourhood in Karachi has been split in two, at one end are Pakhtuns and the other end Sindhis, both have erected guard towers and when a political leader has been killed or riot occurs, they begin firing at each other.

All the meanwhile imams keep trying to remind people that they are Muslims and they are all the same no matter what race or creed they are. The country has become divided by ethnicity and politics.

But go ahead, continue to be in this airy fairy mindset about Islam and Pakistan but inside Pakistan Islamic extremists are this thing America is trying to find, Pakistanis have far more serious issues to deal with. Talk all you want about Islamic radicalsim in Pakistan, because Pakistanis aren't talking about it, Pakistanis want to be industrious and independent. Plenty of alcohol flows into Pakistan and more Pakistanis are engaging with the media and watching films.

The west will only start contributing to the war on terror in Pakistan once they have addressed the real issues by engaging with the politics of Pakistan. If you want to stop Pakistan from being an uncontrolled safe haven, you have to get involved with their politics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 123
http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2011/11/pakistan-and-america?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/tildeathsdouspart
"Last week, Nato attacked a Pakistani border position near Afghanistan. What matters now is how Pakistan deals with it"
Original post by saleri
Most of the violence that goes on is political not religious. The majority of violence is to do with the politics. This is the view the west has, completely convinced that it's Islamic when hardly any of it is Islamic rather political/sectarian/racial.

The islamic terrorists have a specific style of suicide bombs once every few months. political violence happens every other week. But the number of victims from Islamic based terrorism in Karachi is nothing compared to the 1000(at least) who have been killed due to sectarian violence.

Western news has trouble reporting this because it has no clue why and where the violence comes from. Just before eid Balochis kidnapped several people in Karachi just because they spoke Urdu. Pakhtuns in Karachi are being killed just for their race.

My old neighbourhood in Karachi has been split in two, at one end are Pakhtuns and the other end Sindhis, both have erected guard towers and when a political leader has been killed or riot occurs, they begin firing at each other.

All the meanwhile imams keep trying to remind people that they are Muslims and they are all the same no matter what race or creed they are. The country has become divided by ethnicity and politics.

But go ahead, continue to be in this airy fairy mindset about Islam and Pakistan but inside Pakistan Islamic extremists are this thing America is trying to find, Pakistanis have far more serious issues to deal with. Talk all you want about Islamic radicalsim in Pakistan, because Pakistanis aren't talking about it, Pakistanis want to be industrious and independent. Plenty of alcohol flows into Pakistan and more Pakistanis are engaging with the media and watching films.

The west will only start contributing to the war on terror in Pakistan once they have addressed the real issues by engaging with the politics of Pakistan. If you want to stop Pakistan from being an uncontrolled safe haven, you have to get involved with their politics.

they need to deal with and sort their own political structure out! They cannot let religous bastards blackmail or threat/kill politicians supporters because policies go against their islamic beliefs/idelogy (the whole issue of that pakistani governor being killed over that blasphemy case) .....

Sectarian violence is essentially a religous issue and the only way this can be stopped is stamping down hard on the heads of those specific sunni and shia groups who spout extremist islamic ideology and incite moronic pakistanis to carry out murderous attacks.

what has the part in bold got to do with anything?
It's war, mistakes are always inevitable. Unfortunately.

Doesn't change my confidence in NATO.
This should either be a lesson that NATO and Pakistan forces in that region work much closer together... or that NATO should pull out altogether. These 'mistakes' do no favours to hasten the attitude towards to west when it comes to the middle east.
Reply 127
they need to deal with and sort their own political structure out! They cannot let religous bastards blackmail or threat/kill politicians supporters because policies go against their islamic beliefs/idelogy (the whole issue of that pakistani governor being killed over that blasphemy case) .....

Sectarian violence is essentially a religous issue and the only way this can be stopped is stamping down hard on the heads of those specific sunni and shia groups who spout extremist islamic ideology and incite moronic pakistanis to carry out murderous attacks.

what has the part in bold got to do with anything?

You're just not listening are you? How is political and ethnic sectarian violence a religious issue!? That's just like saying drug abuse is caused by unprotected sex. Why are you so insistent that it's a religious issue.

Do you just have something against Islam and want to make out violence that has nothing to do with religion is somehow caused by religion? I personally don't care much for Islam, you can have your views on it, whatever, but don't let this issue blind yourself from the real issue of ethnic and political violence.

Of course there is Islamic violence but that is not the main cause of violence in Pakistan because politics and ethnicity are far more a prominent issue than religion. Most of the violence has been caused by Pakistanis killing other Pakistans for the language they speak and the colour of their skin most of the time, every now and then its a religious issue.

Political workers are blackmailing other politicians and citizens all the time. A friend of a friend was told that he would be killed if he returned to Pakistan because he began to take notes of the activities of a certain political party, I am not going to name which one but most Pakistanis can probably guess which one. They are all Muslims and they couldnt give two ****s about each others religion, this is political not religious.

In my old neighbourhood they purposely erected more churches to make it a less Sindhi neighbourhood. The statement in bold, probably should have expanded on that. There has become, in recent years, alot of Pakistan becoming far more liberal. People for the first time are sort of rejecting their religion and are being open about their non-religious ways.

NATO and US activities are preventing them from being able to address the issue of a sound political structure because NATO are barking up the wrong tree. They haven't figured out that Taliban is simply anyone who wants to pick up a gun and fight the Americans for bombing Pakistan and fight the Pakistani government. NATOs violent activities are destabilising the region in the north.

My point is this. Yes there is religious violence, but if you want to address that you have to address the greater issue ethnicity and politics, talking about Islam is almost a waste of time. You are more likely to get killed in Pakistan for bad mouthing specific politician than Islam without a doubt. That's what my concern is when I am there, I always talk about the faults of Islam to my cousins, but my cousins tell me to keep my voice down when I am talking about specific politician
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by saleri
You're just not listening are you? How is political and ethnic sectarian violence a religious issue!? That's just like saying drug abuse is caused by unprotected sex. Why are you so insistent that it's a religious issue.

Do you just have something against Islam and want to make out violence that has nothing to do with religion is somehow caused by religion? I personally don't care much for Islam, you can have your views on it, whatever, but don't let this issue blind yourself from the real issue of ethnic and political violence.

Of course there is Islamic violence but that is not the main cause of violence in Pakistan because politics and ethnicity are far more a prominent issue than religion. Most of the violence has been caused by Pakistanis killing other Pakistans for the language they speak and the colour of their skin most of the time, every now and then its a religious issue.

Political workers are blackmailing other politicians and citizens all the time. A friend of a friend was told that he would be killed if he returned to Pakistan because he began to take notes of the activities of a certain political party, I am not going to name which one but most Pakistanis can probably guess which one. They are all Muslims and they couldnt give two ****s about each others religion, this is political not religious.

In my old neighbourhood they purposely erected more churches to make it a less Sindhi neighbourhood. The statement in bold, probably should have expanded on that. There has become, in recent years, alot of Pakistan becoming far more liberal. People for the first time are sort of rejecting their religion and are being open about their non-religious ways. NATO and US activities are preventing them from being able to address the issue of a sound political structure because NATO are barking up the wrong tree. They haven't figured out that Taliban is simply anyone who wants to pick up a gun and fight the Americans for bombing Pakistan and fight the Pakistani government. NATOs violent activities are destabilising the region in the north.

My point is this. Yes there is religious violence, but if you want to address that you have to address the greater issue ethnicity and politics, talking about Islam is almost a waste of time. You are more likely to get killed in Pakistan for bad mouthing specific politician than Islam without a doubt. That's what my concern is when I am there, I always talk about the faults of Islam to my cousins, but my cousins tell me to keep my voice down when I am talking about specific politician

Political violence is politcal violence, but when religous issues come in (i.e. blasphemy laws or giving minority groups more rights, the religous violence (from certain islamic groups) kicks in. Sectarian violence (i.e. when sunnis groups blows shias up etc... is based around their warped islamic interpretations and all stems from their religous beliefs/indifferences .....

you're making ethnicity to be a major issue in pakistan (which I belive it is not) .... people of different ethncities have got on well for a long time .... there may be a recent increase in ethnic tensions in certain areas, but it is not a major issue you are making it out to be.

The increasing move away from conservative religous beliefs is not just something which is seen in pakistan, but across different nations (including us in britian).. its just something which has happened with time (various reasons.... perhaps due to globalisation and technological advances)
Reply 129
Political violence is politcal violence, but when religous issues come in (i.e. blasphemy laws or giving minority groups more rights, the religous violence (from certain islamic groups) kicks in. Sectarian violence (i.e. when sunnis groups blows shias up etc... is based around their warped islamic interpretations and all stems from their religous beliefs/indifferences .....

you're making ethnicity to be a major issue in pakistan (which I belive it is not) .... people of different ethncities have got on well for a long time .... there may be a recent increase in ethnic tensions in certain areas, but it is not a major issue you are making it out to be.

The increasing move away from conservative religous beliefs is not just something which is seen in pakistan, but across different nations (including us in britian).. its just something which has happened with time (various reasons.... perhaps due to globalisation and technological advances)

omg, Ethnicity is a massive issue. You don't realise how big an issue it is in Pakistan. You're not even looking at the evidence I am giving you. It's been the biggest issue since the creation of Pakistan. There hasn't been a 'recent increase' there has always been general conflicts between ethnicity's. You don't know much about Pakistan. Don't start making assumptions about places you don't know.

There is far more ethnic violence then there is violence from extremist Islam groups. terrorism from extremist Islam only began to escalate in Pakistan when the war on terror began. Ethnic violence had been going on in Pakistan since its creation.
Reply 130
this might give you a sense of the politicians who are running Pakistan.

He is a major political player from the south sindh province talking about letting Punjabis in the north know that his political party, MQM, is coming to them....

you don't need to know urdu to understand what his feelings are towards them, though you can pick up 'punjabi bastards'

Original post by saleri
omg, Ethnicity is a massive issue. You don't realise how big an issue it is in Pakistan. You're not even looking at the evidence I am giving you. It's been the biggest issue since the creation of Pakistan. There hasn't been a 'recent increase' there has always been general conflicts between ethnicity's. You don't know much about Pakistan. Don't start making assumptions about places you don't know.

There is far more ethnic violence then there is violence from extremist Islam groups. terrorism from extremist Islam only began to escalate in Pakistan when the war on terror began. Ethnic violence had been going on in Pakistan since its creation.

what "evidence" ? You've just given me your opinion and perhaps some cases of anecdotal evidence.

There may have always been a 'general conflict' about ethnicities but not to a scale where it causes civil disruption and disharmony. People in pakistan accept that there are varying cultures, languages etc.... Its only those village idiot types who are prone to "brainwashing" by sunni mullahs and the like and other tribal/nationalistic leaders who cause problems. For average pakistanis, issues of ethnicity is not an issue enough to cause civil unrest and dispute.

There have been more violent acts carried out under islam/religion, than under the banner of ethnictiy/tribalism...

In the last 10 years, the killings and murders and masses, have mostly been along the lines of sectarian violence, rather than ethnic violence....

When was the last large ethnic civil war/dispute in pakistan?

My point is that religous violence/dispute is a greater danger to pakistan and the surrounding region/world, than issues of ethnic disputes in pakistan.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending