The Student Room Group

Uni of Birmingham or Aston?

have a real problem here, dont know which uni to choose.
I know uni of Bham is more well known but the course aston offer have a one year placement which i believe will be more valuable when looking for a job.
any help will be appreciated
thanks
Either as both are reputable universities, the placement idea sounds good - so don't refuse to go for Aston. I don't know which one is better for Accounting and Finance though. Have you also checked out both universities? x
I'm not on that particular course, but I do study at Aston and know them to invest an awful lot of belief in the placement system. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference, why not visit the two universities (made easier by them being in the same city, of course) and find out first hand which you think would be most suited to your needs from current students and staff? :smile:
Reply 3
I don't know anything about either course or university but don't write off one university just because it's not as well known. If you believe a placement will be better for your career then go for that one!
Reply 4
Original post by L'Amour Toujours

Original post by L'Amour Toujours
I'm not on that particular course, but I do study at Aston and know them to invest an awful lot of belief in the placement system. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference, why not visit the two universities (made easier by them being in the same city, of course) and find out first hand which you think would be most suited to your needs from current students and staff? :smile:

thanks for your answer much appreciated
as you study at aston, do you think there is a alot of asian people there?
I'd suggest that you get in contact with Birmingham and ask about the possibilities of taking a year out to do a placement. I aren't sure about A&F, but in Economics, if you have secured a year in industry you can take a year out to complete it.

Just because a placement year isn't explicitly spoken about, doesn't mean you can't do one.
Reply 6
I believe the course at Aston gives more exemptions for the professional stage exams, speaking from experience, these are worth a lot! But as has been said its about what you like, I personally don't put much between the courses, they're both very good. Placement at Aston is brilliant, but reputation at Brum is very good. so basically go visit and decide on that basis perhaps. Good luck!
Original post by ryan609
as you study at aston, do you think there is a alot of asian people there?

I can't say I've really paid that much attention, seeing as I hang around with pretty much the same group(s) of people each day I'm there. Aston is, however, very much a multicultural university, as is the whole of Birmingham, tbh.
Reply 8
do you think it will be easier getting a job at bham or aston?
Reply 9
Hi,

I'm on the A&F course in Birmingham Uni in my 3rd year.

I believe it is possible to "defer" for a year and take a year out and come back and finish your 3rd year, although you will have to double check this.
Reply 10
Original post by mattalis
Hi,

I believe it is possible to "defer" for a year and take a year out and come back and finish your 3rd year, although you will have to double check this.

i think im going to email birmingham and see what they say
do you like the A&F degree at birmingham? and would u say that accounting degree is dominated by males or females or is it a fair split? also is there a lot of asian people on your course e.g. indian
Reply 11
look at employment prospects for both courses at the two unis.

what degree is it anyway?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by lucas13
look at employment prospects for both courses at the two unis.

what degree is it anyway?

Accounting and Finance at Birmingham 3year course
Accounting and Management at Aston 4year course with a 1year placement
Reply 13
Original post by mattalis
Hi,

hi i am considering accepting birmingham uni as my firm choice for A&F. what is the workload like in the first year? whats a typical day would be like in terms of learning hours and the type of activities you would do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending