The Student Room Group

Peter Robinson fearing end of union?

Most of the words that come out of his mouth these days seem to be trying to lure catholic votes. It seems that he knows under the current population changes (if it continues) that Ireland will eventually unite. But how can he possibly 'end sectarianism' if members of his party come out with purely bigotory remarks (such as Ian McMrea's in the summer time)?

How can he possibly change the mind set of unionists who vote for nationalist parties (SDLP) purely to keep SF out of a seat?

How can he change the mindset of hardline nationalists who see SF as traitors and refuse to vote at all?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15897047

It seems that such a beautiful land had been created that it had to be balanced out, so it was sent the most evil of inhabitants to curse the land forever...
Reply 1
I think it's a noble aspiration and, yes, unionists need to reach out to Roman Catholics. There's nothing ideologically unsound about that - after all, most Roman Catholics in Scotland, England and Wales are Unionists, why should history prevent that from being the case in Northern Ireland?

I've not heard his full remarks, just what I garnered from the radio and a couple of short bits in articles, but it really sounded good and - whilst I still can't bring myself to think of the DUP as decent, mainstream and cross-community - I think it's a step in the right direction. It surprised me.
Don't particularly give a ****. Never been to NI. However, if the majority want to keep up a Union with Great Britain then that's fine.
Reply 3
Original post by bestofyou
Most of the words that come out of his mouth these days seem to be trying to lure catholic votes. It seems that he knows under the current population changes (if it continues) that Ireland will eventually unite. But how can he possibly 'end sectarianism' if members of his party come out with purely bigotory remarks (such as Ian McMrea's in the summer time)?

How can he possibly change the mind set of unionists who vote for nationalist parties (SDLP) purely to keep SF out of a seat?

How can he change the mindset of hardline nationalists who see SF as traitors and refuse to vote at all?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15897047

It seems that such a beautiful land had been created that it had to be balanced out, so it was sent the most evil of inhabitants to curse the land forever...

He must think that anyone who can believe in the infallibility of the pope will swallow anything.

His wife's ex-toyboy is a real player though. He got 100s of thousands of pounds of public money off her and then dumped her by pretending he had testicular cancer! Legend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending