The Student Room Group

Taking an AS/A Level in Year 13?

Hi :smile:

I was just wondering if it was possible to take up an AS Level in Year 13 alongside my other subjects? And, if so, if it was possible that I could fast track and do the whole A Level in one year?

My problem is this: when I applied for A Levels, I only wanted to do three (my college doesn't offer much in the way of choice, and I wasn't all that interested in the subjects that they did offer, anyway). Around Year 10/11, we had a careers advisor come in, and I asked if only taking three AS Levels would hinder my chances at getting in to a good university. She told me that no, it wouldn't, so I only took three.

It was only recently that I found out that some universities (Imperial, I believe, is one) that specifically ask for four AS Levels. As it's now too late in the year to apply for a fourth AS Level in Year 12, I'm making do with three. However, the workload isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and currently I'm finding some of the things we're doing easier than what I did at GCSE!

Which brings me on to my question: do you recommend taking up a fourth AS Level in Year 13 alongside your other three A Levels? I'm thinking of taking Government and Politics, but I'd have to do this on my own as my college no longer offers it. My other three AS Levels are History, English Literature and English Language. I want to drop English Language in the second year but would have to take up a further AS/A Level to make up for it.

Eh. It's annoying. But thank you if you can help :smile:
Reply 1
It's possible, people do it, but a lot depends on what your college allows. However, if you are intending to teach yourself then it doesn't matter what your college does. You need to find somewhere that will let you take the exams - your current college is the obvious place to start but it doesn't have to be there. As there is no coursework involved it is relatively straight forward. If you are teaching yourself you can learn at your own pace. All 4 exams are available in the Summer (you could try and get one done Summer 2012) and Units 1-3 in January.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
It's possible, people do it, but a lot depends on what your college allows. However, if you are intending to teach yourself then it doesn't matter what your college does. You need to find somewhere that will let you take the exams - your current college is the obvious place to start but it doesn't have to be there. As there is no coursework involved it is relatively straight forward. If you are teaching yourself you can learn at your own pace. All 4 exams are available in the Summer (you could try and get one done Summer 2012) and Units 1-3 in January.

Oops - meant to reply yesterday.

I asked my tutor about this, but he doesn't seem to know much about the way it works. I think I'll have to teach myself, as the Government and Politics lecturer that was there last year has been made redundant. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I think I will do it next year :smile:
Yeah I'm hoping to pick up AS Physics next year. But I'm not sure if I can fast track? :smile:
Reply 4
I think it's down to your college, if they refuse.. well, then you could try and self teach yourself the course, and try to take it at a local centre that allows it.. : |
Yes, lots of people at my school do an extra AS along with their 3 A-levels. I don't know whether it's possible to skip the AS and take the full A-level, and I'd imagine it would be quite hard, so you'll probably need to keep English Lang.
Many people in the year above (who are now in uni) did this because they only picked 3 AS.
If the timetable doesn't clash, then go for it :smile:
My mate was going to do medicine but he changed his mind because he didn't do biology and he dropped physics AS. So he's doing Maths, Economics and sonething else at A2 along with AS Further maths to pursue a career in banking/investment

E: spelt medicine awfully wrong :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ra Ra
Hi :smile:

I was just wondering if it was possible to take up an AS Level in Year 13 alongside my other subjects? And, if so, if it was possible that I could fast track and do the whole A Level in one year?

My problem is this: when I applied for A Levels, I only wanted to do three (my college doesn't offer much in the way of choice, and I wasn't all that interested in the subjects that they did offer, anyway). Around Year 10/11, we had a careers advisor come in, and I asked if only taking three AS Levels would hinder my chances at getting in to a good university. She told me that no, it wouldn't, so I only took three.

It was only recently that I found out that some universities (Imperial, I believe, is one) that specifically ask for four AS Levels. As it's now too late in the year to apply for a fourth AS Level in Year 12, I'm making do with three. However, the workload isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and currently I'm finding some of the things we're doing easier than what I did at GCSE!

Which brings me on to my question: do you recommend taking up a fourth AS Level in Year 13 alongside your other three A Levels? I'm thinking of taking Government and Politics, but I'd have to do this on my own as my college no longer offers it. My other three AS Levels are History, English Literature and English Language. I want to drop English Language in the second year but would have to take up a further AS/A Level to make up for it.

Eh. It's annoying. But thank you if you can help :smile:

I know this is very very late😂. But if yourself or anyone else sees this and is in the same situation, could you guide me. I currently take economics, business and philosophy but im considering taking up politics as level for year 13 because if I don’t get my chosen universities, i can reapply next year with an extra politics a level which would help my application massively for ppe. Any advice is helpful

Quick Reply

Latest