The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone want a current NTU student to pester for questions?

Scroll to see replies

NTU is my insurance, but I was wondering that if I came here, where would I be placed for accommodation? I have visions of being placed miles away in a house with a few people (if you've seen Fresh Meat :tongue:) and I won't have the whole halls 'experience'. :smile:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by blondie :)
NTU is my insurance, but I was wondering that if I came here, where would I be placed for accommodation? I have visions of being placed miles away in a house with a few people (if you've seen Fresh Meat :tongue:) and I won't have the whole halls 'experience'. :smile:

Hiya,

You can choose your accommodation :smile: on campus are sandby and hampden halls and also gill street they are university owned. First two are 'party halls' gill street has a mixture of students.

There is also goldsmith court (which i would recommend, im there atm) which is privately owned but right across the road from ntu and closer than the 3 i listed above.

Have fun at whatever uni you go to and make the most of every minute :smile:
Original post by ~carly~
So basically good luck with everything and maybe post back on here with how things go?!?

I want to do this sort of thing in the future...i.e career guidance/youth work/advise to young people so this is good practice for me!!!
x

Hi Carly!!!
I got a conditional offer and firmed it! :smile: so excitied!!!
Now i'm thinking to book accommodation.

I though i might book for gill street but currently bit changed my mind to goldsmith. I searched a lot and many people said goldsmith is a lot better than gill street.

But one thing i'm worried about is that Bonington is closer to gill street than goldsmith so i'm afraid i miss a chance to live with my class mates.
However i can try to book for gill street in 14th may cuz i'm conditional so it seems i don't have chance to book gill street cuz i heard it's too popular to book late. So i'm considering to book goldsmith next week or wait until may so that i try to book gill street.
I can't wait to study in nottingham :smile: anyway thanks for your reply which was so helpful xxx

oh, and it's bit silly but is there tesco or lidl near goldsmith or gill street? cuz i didn't see any when i was there :smile: so i was bit wondering where i can buy raw food and vegetable.
(edited 12 years ago)
There's a Tesco less than 2 minutes from Gill Street, and Goldsmith Cout is only two streets away from that, too. Just past the Tesco there's a huge shopping mall, as well.

'other' current NTU student out.
Reply 84
thanks for your feedback :smile:
Original post by thecrimsonidol
There's a Tesco less than 2 minutes from Gill Street, and Goldsmith Cout is only two streets away from that, too. Just past the Tesco there's a huge shopping mall, as well.

'other' current NTU student out.

ohh apparently i don't need to be worried about food :smile: thanks xx
Reply 86
Hi im starting in september...Do you know what Trinity Square Halls are like for freshers?! x
Original post by HollyBaker
Hi im starting in september...Do you know what Trinity Square Halls are like for freshers?! x

I've had some friends live there. It's expensive, but very nice. Bang in the centre of town, too.
Reply 88
I've just looked at goldsmiths & I thnk that's the accommodation I want to book. Has anyone stayed there? & do you book directly through them or through NTU?
Reply 89
Arrrr congrats :smile: You will love it there, well im biased as i am at goldsmiths at the moment but i would say its a slightly better position than gill street. At goldsmiths you are right near the tram stop, and my window was on the tramlines, which i thought would be awful but got used to it.

Whichever you chose you will make friends im sure.

The best (cheapest) student shops near by are a tesco down the road that bonnington is on on the same side as bonnington. other than that there is an asda if you get on the tram, and go to noel street. its not far and its cheap :smile:

Hope this helps.

Good luck :smile: xx

Original post by lucyking1408
Hi Carly!!!
I got a conditional offer and firmed it! :smile: so excitied!!!
Now i'm thinking to book accommodation.

I though i might book for gill street but currently bit changed my mind to goldsmith. I searched a lot and many people said goldsmith is a lot better than gill street.

But one thing i'm worried about is that Bonington is closer to gill street than goldsmith so i'm afraid i miss a chance to live with my class mates.
However i can try to book for gill street in 14th may cuz i'm conditional so it seems i don't have chance to book gill street cuz i heard it's too popular to book late. So i'm considering to book goldsmith next week or wait until may so that i try to book gill street.
I can't wait to study in nottingham :smile: anyway thanks for your reply which was so helpful xxx

oh, and it's bit silly but is there tesco or lidl near goldsmith or gill street? cuz i didn't see any when i was there :smile: so i was bit wondering where i can buy raw food and vegetable.
Reply 90
Original post by raaaachx
I've just looked at goldsmiths & I thnk that's the accommodation I want to book. Has anyone stayed there? & do you book directly through them or through NTU?

you book directly through goldsmiths, its privately owned accommodation, nothing to do with NTU...in my opinion ....much better than what ive heard in ntu accom :smile:
Im there at the moment :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by ~carly~
Hey,

Im a current student at NTU, so if anyone wants me to answer any questions, quote me and i will do my best.

I wish i had people to speak to that were current students before i started at uni there. So please ask.

:smile:

Facebook group for 2012-13 goldsmith court students - http://www.facebook.com/profile.phpid=100003637977703

Hi Carly ,
I am an international student with an unconditional offer. I have made the initial deposit of 3000 pounds.
I may not be able to come through to study for some reasons. Would my Money be refunded back ?

Thought you would have some idea.
Thank you.
Reply 92
Original post by avneesh
Hi Carly ,
I am an international student with an unconditional offer. I have made the initial deposit of 3000 pounds.
I may not be able to come through to study for some reasons. Would my Money be refunded back ?

Thought you would have some idea.
Thank you.

Ooooh im sorry i really dont have a clue! You should ring the university and ask to speak to student services to discuss.
Hi, before I ask my question, I'd just like to reiterate what others have said on this thread that it's great that you've started this thread as there are so many people (as you can see) who have important questions about university but have no one to really ask. And even though I know a couple people at Trent already, you can never have too much info on something like this.

Ok onto the question, I saw on an answer you gave to a earlier question that you don't think Blenheim's safe and I was just wondering as to why that was. Oh and also Between Sandby, Hampden Hall and Goldsmith Court, which would you recommend? I'm mainly looking for a nice/lively social scene, but a nice room wouldn't go a miss either lol :biggrin:

Many Thanks
Reply 94
Heyy, your replies are really helpful for everyone I guess. I am an international student with not a very warm pocket. So what internet sites should I be looking for accommodation and what factors do I need to take in account? What does certain properties not being safe mean? What is the cheapest I can get in accommodations which the university offers and what will I be foregoing in terms of facilities and all if I go for the cheaper ones?

Then whats the cheapest that can be had in the private sector? The only thing I would prefer is a private washroom and a shower, but that can be compromised upon as well if the cost runs too high. Then again the the property should not be that far from the City Campus because then the commuting cost would come in to play. So the point is I am coming for a Postgraduate program having already spent quite a bit of my parent's money on my undergraduate, so I want to be as much of a miser as possible. However, security concerns, private washroom do play an important role.

Plus I am an international student (would be coming from Pakistan) with no experience of living abroad so I don't even know what factors I am discounting and what factors I should be properly paying attention to. Therefore my ignorance on all matters pertaining to booking accommodation (and even other stuff) is supreme.

Last question, what is the scope for part-time jobs for international students. Is it even possible to do a job along with GDL (which I have been admitted for)?

Have asked too many questions already but in my defense -international student people international student. Thank you
Reply 95
Hey,

I dont really know alot about blenheim but i know its not in a great area, its near st anns, which is a renowned area.

Wellim biased as im at goldsmiths, but i have been to the others and i prefer goldsmiths, you pay for what it is in my opinion, the kitchens at goldsmiths are great now after refurbs, if you get a chance, go have a look around one day at all of them, thats what i did. :smile:

I have friends in hampden and thats a party halls :smile:

Original post by akwasiboakye
Hi, before I ask my question, I'd just like to reiterate what others have said on this thread that it's great that you've started this thread as there are so many people (as you can see) who have important questions about university but have no one to really ask. And even though I know a couple people at Trent already, you can never have too much info on something like this.

Ok onto the question, I saw on an answer you gave to a earlier question that you don't think Blenheim's safe and I was just wondering as to why that was. Oh and also Between Sandby, Hampden Hall and Goldsmith Court, which would you recommend? I'm mainly looking for a nice/lively social scene, but a nice room wouldn't go a miss either lol :biggrin:

Many Thanks
Reply 96
well you have already said you would like your own ensuite and shower...take a look here https://selfservice.ntu.ac.uk/pls/selfservice/bwskamfl.p_selectdetails and you can put that all in, do you know what campus you will be studying on? thats a good place to start. Some properties may be in areas that are less safe than others in the sense that they may have antisocial behaviour etc. you can also check out goldsmith court...just google 'goldsmith court nottingham', also try googling 'megaclose nottingham' and they may help :smile:

Part time jobs are difficult for everyone at the moment, your best bet might be something through the university, helps fitting it around your studies and they are usually very flexible.

Hope this helps..

I always say to everyone, JUST ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, BUT ITS BEST TO QUOTE ME :smile:

Original post by dimdum
Heyy, your replies are really helpful for everyone I guess. I am an international student with not a very warm pocket. So what internet sites should I be looking for accommodation and what factors do I need to take in account? What does certain properties not being safe mean? What is the cheapest I can get in accommodations which the university offers and what will I be foregoing in terms of facilities and all if I go for the cheaper ones?

Then whats the cheapest that can be had in the private sector? The only thing I would prefer is a private washroom and a shower, but that can be compromised upon as well if the cost runs too high. Then again the the property should not be that far from the City Campus because then the commuting cost would come in to play. So the point is I am coming for a Postgraduate program having already spent quite a bit of my parent's money on my undergraduate, so I want to be as much of a miser as possible. However, security concerns, private washroom do play an important role.

Plus I am an international student (would be coming from Pakistan) with no experience of living abroad so I don't even know what factors I am discounting and what factors I should be properly paying attention to. Therefore my ignorance on all matters pertaining to booking accommodation (and even other stuff) is supreme.

Last question, what is the scope for part-time jobs for international students. Is it even possible to do a job along with GDL (which I have been admitted for)?

Have asked too many questions already but in my defense -international student people international student. Thank you
Reply 97
Original post by ~carly~

heya, i noticed you're at golsmiths court, which i'm looking at atm and was wondering how it compares to uni halls like gill street and sandby?
also is goldsmiths included in the freshers activities just as much as uni halls? i really dont want to miss out on anything haha!
thanks x
Reply 98
Original post by imy7
heya, i noticed you're at golsmiths court, which i'm looking at atm and was wondering how it compares to uni halls like gill street and sandby?
also is goldsmiths included in the freshers activities just as much as uni halls? i really dont want to miss out on anything haha!
thanks x

I am :smile: its great in my opinion. The kitchens are nicer than gill street and sandby they are more modern, if you get one of the bigger flats, i think you get the kitchens above the accommodation office.

Goldsmiths does do freshers, normally meet at a flat or on the terrace outside. x
Reply 99
Original post by ~carly~
Hey,

Im a current student at NTU, so if anyone wants me to answer any questions, quote me and i will do my best.

I wish i had people to speak to that were current students before i started at uni there. So please ask.

:smile:

Facebook group for 2012-13 goldsmith court students - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003637977703

Hello, i've firmed a place at NTU to do sociology and i was wondering if you knew anything about trinity square i went to have a look round yesterday and loved it, it ticked all the boxes, but after reading this thread it seems like Goldsmiths is more popular. I'm worried i'll be out of the uni life in private halls and that i wont get the same expierence, would you reccomend uni halls to private halls? And what can you tell me about Trinity square? Thanks! can't wait to come to NTU fingers crossed :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending