The Student Room Group

Dianette - urgent, please?

Hi everyone, could any of you please help me?

I'm 16, and have severe cystic acne ;my dermatologist put me on the Dianette contraceptive pill in October. I've followed the instructions in the box of tablets religiously i.e. taking the first pill on the first day of the next natural period, taking these pills once a day for twenty days after that, and then having a seven day break before starting this regime again. My skin's clearing up beautifully, as I was also prescribed a nightime cream to use at the same time, and I'm hopeful that I won't have to start Accutane from my next appointment (February).

However, while my skin may look okay for the first time in five years, I must say I've never felt so bad. I started the seven-day break on Wednesday, but for the three weeks before that I started to experience symptoms like never before. A week after I finished my period (the one where I started to take the pill), I started to bleed again for two days, which I've never had before. I've also been getting horrible pelvic pains. They never last long, only for ten minutes, but they happen almost daily, and are painful enough to make me cry and prevent me from standing upright. I've never had pre-period or ovulation pain before, so I'm both confused and worried. I had to take my first day off school in months on Friday; I was awoken by the same, stabbing pain in my pelvis. My pulse was racing, and I was shaky. The pain kept coming on; I took ibuprofen, but it wasn't enough. My mother asked me what I wanted to do; I gave my honest answer, 'I don't know'.

I also started the 'withdrawal bleed' yesterday. It's awful. I'm used to heavy periods, which are always relatively painless. However, this time, it's just....:mad: I'm completely certain that I'd only been going for an hour, ninety minutes, at the most, and already the blood had leaked, and even leaked onto my jeans. I'd never seen so much blood, I swear! The pain is awful, too. All weekend, I've been crying over nothing in my bedroom, unwilling to talk to anyone and I've been feeling too rubbish to do any homework. I've never had this before! :frown:

I would like to see my doctor, however I'm not sure. This week, my parents are going Christmas shopping in Truro, and I'm having to stay at my grandparents. I'm dreading going back on to these stupid pills on Thursday, and the very thought is making me feel slightly scared (not least because I won't be able to talk to Mum about it in private). I'm normally a happy person who is well and full of life; however, I just can't stop being miserable and I'm in constant pain. I've just had a blood test, ordered by my dermatologist, and the nurse said that my GP will have my results 'soon'. Should I wait until then? Or should I get an appointment this week, and tell my mum what was said when she gets back?

Please help- I'd like to know your thoughts ASAP!

Thank you

xxx
Wow, I've never heard of such an extreme reaction. I was put on Dianette for my skin... it didn't improve my skin at all, but at the same time, it didn't give me any sort of period pain. Speak to your doctor ASAP - you can ask for an urgent appointment if you're in pain that much.
Go to the doctor! I'm sure they'll be able to prescribe a different but similar pill.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, could any of you please help me?

I'm 16, and have severe cystic acne ;my dermatologist put me on the Dianette contraceptive pill in October. I've followed the instructions in the box of tablets religiously i.e. taking the first pill on the first day of the next natural period, taking these pills once a day for twenty days after that, and then having a seven day break before starting this regime again. My skin's clearing up beautifully, as I was also prescribed a nightime cream to use at the same time, and I'm hopeful that I won't have to start Accutane from my next appointment (February).

However, while my skin may look okay for the first time in five years, I must say I've never felt so bad. I started the seven-day break on Wednesday, but for the three weeks before that I started to experience symptoms like never before. A week after I finished my period (the one where I started to take the pill), I started to bleed again for two days, which I've never had before. I've also been getting horrible pelvic pains. They never last long, only for ten minutes, but they happen almost daily, and are painful enough to make me cry and prevent me from standing upright. I've never had pre-period or ovulation pain before, so I'm both confused and worried. I had to take my first day off school in months on Friday; I was awoken by the same, stabbing pain in my pelvis. My pulse was racing, and I was shaky. The pain kept coming on; I took ibuprofen, but it wasn't enough. My mother asked me what I wanted to do; I gave my honest answer, 'I don't know'.

I also started the 'withdrawal bleed' yesterday. It's awful. I'm used to heavy periods, which are always relatively painless. However, this time, it's just....:mad: I'm completely certain that I'd only been going for an hour, ninety minutes, at the most, and already the blood had leaked, and even leaked onto my jeans. I'd never seen so much blood, I swear! The pain is awful, too. All weekend, I've been crying over nothing in my bedroom, unwilling to talk to anyone and I've been feeling too rubbish to do any homework. I've never had this before! :frown:

I would like to see my doctor, however I'm not sure. This week, my parents are going Christmas shopping in Truro, and I'm having to stay at my grandparents. I'm dreading going back on to these stupid pills on Thursday, and the very thought is making me feel slightly scared (not least because I won't be able to talk to Mum about it in private). I'm normally a happy person who is well and full of life; however, I just can't stop being miserable and I'm in constant pain. I've just had a blood test, ordered by my dermatologist, and the nurse said that my GP will have my results 'soon'. Should I wait until then? Or should I get an appointment this week, and tell my mum what was said when she gets back?

Please help- I'd like to know your thoughts ASAP!

Thank you

xxx

I also was on Diannette because of acne, oily skin, and painful periods. I was on it for two years or so. It worked wonders for me, my skin became baby soft, my hair became stronger and softer. My periods were short and almost painless. As side effects I only noticed that I got more curvy. I used to be skinny and all of the sudden I was an hourglass bitch. :biggrin: Don't know if that was due to the pill but probably was because I was 19 already.

After the two years or so one vein in my leg become more noticeable, and even though it was (and thankfully still is) healthy, I got scared and ask my GP to change my pill. I was then put in Yasminelle which is always great for treating skin and hair and is less strong and therefore less harmful.

Diannette is the best for skin and hair but is very strong and therefore you must be very careful whilst using it.

About your specific symptons it may be your body adjusting to the pill, but I suggest you go see your doctor.

A pill like this one can cause serious problems, so, we can never be careful enough!
You've reacted badly. You need to switch onto another contraceptive. Doctors don't know which will suit you so it takes some experimenting to get you on a contraceptive that you won't react so horribly to.

I'm sorry you reacted like this and it sounds awful. Please don't carry on with this pill if it causes you to suffer so much.

I only gained a little weight while on Dianette but my abscesses disappeared for the three months I was on this for the first time in 9 years. I got a bit depressed and came off though but my moods haven't changed since I got off. My condition did come back when I got off and I haven't gone onto another contraceptive since I want to go see a dermatologist now but the GP doesn't see the point in referring me.
Reply 5
Thank you, everyone. I spoke to my mother on the phone last night, and announced that I didn't want to turn back to Dianette on Thursday. She agreed, and she's making me an appointment to see my GP next week. It's now day four of the 'withdrawal bleed' and it's still stupidly heavy and giving me grief and this is coming from someone who's used to heavy bleeds. :confused:

Thanks again for your help - it's most appreciated! :biggrin:

xxx

Thank you, everyone. I spoke to my mother on the phone last night, and announced that I didn't want to turn back to Dianette on Thursday. She agreed, and she's making me an appointment to see my GP next week. It's now day four of the 'withdrawal bleed' and it's still stupidly heavy and giving me grief and this is coming from someone who's used to heavy bleeds. :confused:

Thanks again for your help - it's most appreciated! :biggrin:

xxx

So you'll be seeing the GP this week, I hope? I'm sorry you're still on your withdrawal bleed, hopefully it'll stop soon! xx
Reply 7
I saw my GP today. My blood tests were all totally normal (no deficiences or signs of polycystic ovaries or anything), and she was really sympathetic. She didn't look at all happy when I told her that my dermatologist changed my appointment to April, and prescribed me a new contraceptive pill, a much milder one. I have to see her again in March. I hope it all gets sorted. :redface:

Thanks again. :smile: xx

I saw my GP today. My blood tests were all totally normal (no deficiences or signs of polycystic ovaries or anything), and she was really sympathetic. She didn't look at all happy when I told her that my dermatologist changed my appointment to April, and prescribed me a new contraceptive pill, a much milder one. I have to see her again in March. I hope it all gets sorted. :redface:

Thanks again. :smile: xx

Fantastic! Glad to hear you're on a new pill and I hope it all goes well for you! :smile:
Dianette is the devil's pill (in my experience, jealous about people who it worked for). You just have to stop taking it, if you developed a reaction to it.
Hi i am on dianette.

started using it in September and my skin is still pretty bad even though i've been using it for 4 months now.

My doctor says the MINIMUM to wait for a good change is SIX months though so he's given me more packs.

How long did others have to wait until they noticed a good change??? Is six months correct???

thank youu xxxxxxx

Hi i am on dianette.

started using it in September and my skin is still pretty bad even though i've been using it for 4 months now.

My doctor says the MINIMUM to wait for a good change is SIX months though so he's given me more packs.

How long did others have to wait until they noticed a good change??? Is six months correct???

thank youu xxxxxxx

I was on it for 7 months and my skin improved a little bit... unfortunately had to come off it due to other side-effects. It's not a cure all.
Original post by lovers in japan
Wow, I've never heard of such an extreme reaction. I was put on Dianette for my skin... it didn't improve my skin at all, but at the same time, it didn't give me any sort of period pain. Speak to your doctor ASAP - you can ask for an urgent appointment if you're in pain that much.

Hey i know this comment is from 3 years ago, but i couldnt help but read you say dianette didnt work at all for your skin, i have been on it for a month and its made my skin soooooooooo bad and i am really hoping that it works and improves my skin soon as im going on holiday in a few months and need to have good skin, how long were you on dianette, please i cant go on this for 6 months and have nothing happen, or make it worse

Thank you
Original post by zxheidizx
Hey i know this comment is from 3 years ago, but i couldnt help but read you say dianette didnt work at all for your skin, i have been on it for a month and its made my skin soooooooooo bad and i am really hoping that it works and improves my skin soon as im going on holiday in a few months and need to have good skin, how long were you on dianette, please i cant go on this for 6 months and have nothing happen, or make it worse

Thank you

What has it done to your skin specifically? Oily or dry? Spotty?

I found that the moment I went on it, my skin was perfecto but that's because the pill sorted out my hormone imbalance.

If it doesn't improve within another two months, or sooner if you're that desperate, you could try asking to switch to a dfferent contraceptive. Personally, I think other pills (lower in oestrogen) should be tried first. Dianette is kind of strong.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
What has it done to your skin specifically? Oily or dry? Spotty?

I found that the moment I went on it, my skin was perfecto but that's because the pill sorted out my hormone imbalance.

If it doesn't improve within another two months, or sooner if you're that desperate, you could try asking to switch to a dfferent contraceptive. Personally, I think other pills (lower in oestrogen) should be tried first. Dianette is kind of strong.

Thank you for replying

My skin was super oily before i went on it, but now is just normal, my acne before i went on the pill was all over my face, however none was "to a head", it was all under the skin, small little bumpy acne, but was very noticeable and red. As soon as i went on the pill the next day i had acne come up along my jaw line and neck (never had before) and my whole face has come out in raw large acne, as well as havent loads a loads of white heads. My bumpy acne is still all there as well on my forehead and cheeks.

It is 10x worse than before i started i am about to start my second pack (month 2). I am also taking Trimethoprim 200mg twice daily, i dont know if this is making it worse.

I am so unhappy i can't eat, its painful to sleep and i can't leave my house because i cant let people see me.

My dermatologic also sad my acne wasn't bad enough to go on accutane, but i think now if she saw me she would think different.
Original post by zxheidizx
Thank you for replying

My skin was super oily before i went on it, but now is just normal, my acne before i went on the pill was all over my face, however none was "to a head", it was all under the skin, small little bumpy acne, but was very noticeable and red. As soon as i went on the pill the next day i had acne come up along my jaw line and neck (never had before) and my whole face has come out in raw large acne, as well as havent loads a loads of white heads. My bumpy acne is still all there as well on my forehead and cheeks.

It is 10x worse than before i started i am about to start my second pack (month 2). I am also taking Trimethoprim 200mg twice daily, i dont know if this is making it worse.

I am so unhappy i can't eat, its painful to sleep and i can't leave my house because i cant let people see me.

My dermatologic also sad my acne wasn't bad enough to go on accutane, but i think now if she saw me she would think different.

Maybe your body doesn't like the huge hormone change.

I know some people get worse on it but generally, it's meant to improve the acne.

I can believe the pain. It must be horrible :hugs:

I would go back to the dermatologist or at least go to the GP and ask for a different pill. Maybe Yasmin?

When I went on Dianette, the doctor gave me antibiotics to help calm it down since the pill takes a while to work on some people.

Hope you feel better soon. Feel free to PM me any time. I understand the pain of acne!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Maybe your body doesn't like the huge hormone change.

I know some people get worse on it but generally, it's meant to improve the acne.

I can believe the pain. It must be horrible :hugs:

I would go back to the dermatologist or at least go to the GP and ask for a different pill. Maybe Yasmin?

When I went on Dianette, the doctor gave me antibiotics to help calm it down since the pill takes a while to work on some people.

Hope you feel better soon. Feel free to PM me any time. I understand the pain of acne!

Thank you so much for replying to mean, it really does mean a lot, i try to talk to my friends about it, but they dont understand because they all have perfect skin!

I think im going to stick with it for another 2 months just to see if it improves because id kick myself if i stopped and it could have worked.

I will go back to my GP and see what he thinks, and if he thinks i should go on yasmin .

thank you :smile:

Latest