The Student Room Group

A Level Choices For Medicine.. Your opinion?

Hi,
I am looking to medicine at University and am currently choosing my A Levels.
I am thinking of taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and German (AS) and Chemistry, Biology and Maths (A2)

Do these sound like good choices.. I enjoy the subjects which is the main thing but is German a wise choice?

Thanks,
Steven
Reply 1
I don't see why not....sometimes uni's like people having a contrasting fourth AS subject :smile:
Reply 2
Yep, seems good enough.
Reply 3
I was about to post that you might want to consider taking a language...that's actually some pretty good choices there :tongue:

As already said, they like contrasts to the Science/Maths subjects. Unless you screw up big time, they're gonna love you :biggrin:

Good luck.
Reply 4
Couldn't have searched before making a new thread? There's hundreds of these...
Well, you've got the two necessary A Levels i.e. Chemistry and Biology, and maths is really well respected, as for languages as well. German'll go down a treat. Unis tend to like language A Levels, even if it's just to AS, as it shows, in your case, a well rounded education.

German is a perfectly respectable choice, if you enjoy it and you're good at it then there is no reason not to take it alongside those other choices. As long as you have Chemistry & Biology then you're fine and taking Maths is a good decision too so if you like German then go for it! I'm not applying for Medicine (or taking any science subjects) but I have plenty of friends who are, and my brother is currently studying Medicine and most of them have taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths/ Physics & an unrelated subject like English, Latin or another language. German is a perfectly wise choice.
Reply 7
Original post by steviep14
Hi,
I am looking to medicine at University and am currently choosing my A Levels.
I am thinking of taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and German (AS) and Chemistry, Biology and Maths (A2)

Do these sound like good choices.. I enjoy the subjects which is the main thing but is German a wise choice?

Thanks,
Steven

UCL actually prefers a language so u should have no problem
Reply 8
Cool, thanks guys :smile: I do like German so its good they like contrasting subjects :P
Sounds fine. Chemistry and Biology are the essentials, Maths is cool and you love German so it should be fine. You could even carry all four of them onto A2 and spend even more time doing German!

Quick Reply