The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What are my chances of getting in?

To UCL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Seeing as you've achieved a top grade in English, and done well in three other traditional A levels, they'd be mad not to.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Lol_Fish
Seeing as you've achieved a top grade in English, and done well in three other traditional A levels, they'd be mad not to.

Reply 3
Original post by Ayn_Rand

NP : D
Reply 4
My friend had the same predicted grades as you and really really amazing extra-curriculars to support an English application, but she still didn't get an offer.

You've certainly got a good chance, but there's no guarantee with courses as competitive as this. The application to offer ratio is insane. Are you applying to transfer? Because then you find out if you get in before you have to give up your place at Imperial surely? And that way you'd still have a place at university even if you didn't get in?! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Hilarity
My friend had the same predicted grades as you and really really amazing extra-curriculars to support an English application, but she still didn't get an offer.

You've certainly got a good chance, but there's no guarantee with courses as competitive as this. The application to offer ratio is insane. Are you applying to transfer? Because then you find out if you get in before you have to give up your place at Imperial surely? And that way you'd still have a place at university even if you didn't get in?! Good luck :smile:

That's the plan - if it doesn't work out, I don't lose my place!

For anyone else reading this, knowing what UCL is like would be nice as well!
Reply 6
I am currently a first year studying a science at Imperial College. Though I'm doing perfectly fine at the university, I realised I simply don't like science that much and would much rather be studying English - after all, it is frankly what I've always been good at.

Here's my 'credentials':

Co-editor of student newspaper (so my school thought I could write, haha)
10 A*s at GCSE
A* English A-level (very high A*, 100% in both courseworks in year 12/13)
A* Biology A-level
A Chemistry A-level
A Maths A-level

impressive credentials, but i wouldn't rely upon 100% in english(or eng lit?) to get into english, stop quantifying it you scientist :P! and tbh coursework marking is sort of subjective, one of my teachers gave me an A the other a C for the same piece
they mainly look for passion for texts and your desire to study it, as you said you havent read anything of late, where did your passion come from? if out of boredom of science/gender proportionality then forget it
if you can justify your desire then i don't see any reason why you can't apply for english
Reply 7
Original post by winning11
impressive credentials, but i wouldn't rely upon 100% in english(or eng lit?) to get into english, stop quantifying it you scientist :P! and tbh coursework marking is sort of subjective, one of my teachers gave me an A the other a C for the same piece
they mainly look for passion for texts and your desire to study it, as you said you havent read anything of late, where did your passion come from? if out of boredom of science/gender proportionality then forget it
if you can justify your desire then i don't see any reason why you can't apply for english

Nah, I've always loved analysing and exploring texts - my main focus in my own independent reading has been 20th century American novelists, but I doubt that's something that gets covered heavily in the first year. Of course I can apply haha - the point is can I get in!
Reply 8
Nah, I've always loved analysing and exploring texts - my main focus in my own independent reading has been 20th century American novelists, but I doubt that's something that gets covered heavily in the first year. Of course I can apply haha - the point is can I get in!

ooops i did mean get in, sounds good, who are some of your favs? (i'm not questionning you, it's just out of interest)
Reply 9
ooops i did mean get in, sounds good, who are some of your favs? (i'm not questionning you, it's just out of interest)

well a lot, Steinbeck, Plath, Hemingway, Salinger, Vonnegut, and as my screename may suggest - Ayn Rand

yourself?

oh and I love a good bit of Tennessee Williams too
well a lot, Steinbeck, Plath, Hemingway, Salinger, Vonnegut, and as my screename may suggest - Ayn Rand

yourself?

oh and I love a good bit of Tennessee Williams too

ooo yes steinbeck, salinger n williams
also fitzgerald, tolkien, lee

more random picks would be mary shelley n phillip pullman im sure i love more but cannot think

damn i kinda wish i applied for eng lit or have it combined but didnt have the confidence,
sometimes i felt the deep analysis stole the magic of the writing, any mystery in the text and deriving things the author probably never intended got annoying, but sometimes its enjoyable
so what do you wanna do in the future?x
Reply 11
ooo yes steinbeck, salinger n williams
also fitzgerald, tolkien, lee

more random picks would be mary shelley n phillip pullman im sure i love more but cannot think

damn i kinda wish i applied for eng lit or have it combined but didnt have the confidence,
sometimes i felt the deep analysis stole the magic of the writing, any mystery in the text and deriving things the author probably never intended got annoying, but sometimes its enjoyable
so what do you wanna do in the future?x

I would sort of agree - heavy criticism can twist a novel beyond its intended meaning, but at the same time I find that when properly exploring a text there really are a gold mine of references and subtexts that are hard to see at first.

The amount you read sounds like you should have applied for eng lit! What are you doing now?

And I am not sure what I want to do in the future - maybe journalism, or law?
I would sort of agree - heavy criticism can twist a novel beyond its intended meaning, but at the same time I find that when properly exploring a text there really are a gold mine of references and subtexts that are hard to see at first.

The amount you read sounds like you should have applied for eng lit! What are you doing now?

And I am not sure what I want to do in the future - maybe journalism, or law?

I've applied for history and internation relaions/politics and am waiting to hear back from 3 places, aw thanks I gotta say I haven't read properly in ages, I was a heavy reader when I was younger but now there seems to be little time to get lost in a book :frown:
i hope to go into film one day, journalism sounds brilliant! I was contemplating law at one point also, so many options
let me know how you get on with your applications x
You definitely have a decent chance, and if it's what you want to do, I'd say go for it.

My only warning would be, from what I've heard and seen, UCL is incredibly competitive for English subjects. So really focus on putting loads in your personal statement about your writing and reading. Sell, sell, sell! Also, if you can, get some work experience or something to do with writing. Maybe in a newspaper outside of school as an unpaid intern or something.

As far are the uni itself is concerned, I'll admit I'm not a student there right now (hoping to be next year :wink: ) but as far as I know, it's a bit more laid back in terms of atmosphere than some other unis like Imperial, Kings, Oxford and Cambridge, but still has an impressive reputation. UCL is traditionally more left-wing as well. Obviously there's still a lot of pressure to do well, but it's not as elitist as some of the others.

tl;dr - Go for it, but really work at getting your personal statement impressive.
Reply 14
Hi, I'm studying English at UCL.
Send me a message if you want to ask any questions.

Imperial is amazing for science but it depends on whether or not you're enjoying it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending