The Student Room Group

Smoking & driving/lighting cigs with car cig lighter

Is it a bad thing to smoke while driving? It's a bit of a 'bad habit' of mine lately, just wondered what peoples' thoughts on it were?

Also, anyone else light their cigs with the built in car cig lighter thingy?

I enjoy smoking in my car, but I dunno if it is classed as a bad thing or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not illegal but I don't think you're in complete controll.

Use your best judgement.
Reply 2
It's fine if you are using the letter of the law.
some people seem to be able to manage it fine....
however if you are like the woman who was doing 80 on the M1 swerving to and fro in front of me because she was trying to light her cigerette... i suggest you stop it...
x
If you can focus on the road while lighting, yes (which is why the car lighter is good).
I love smoking in cars, it is actually one of my favourite things to do... Cigarette, music on, feet up on dashboard, sunglasses and a competant driver= bliss.
There's talk of banning smoking in cars. I agree ! It compromises control and takes attention away. Then there's the aspect that most smokers don't seem to think of their packets, wrappings and butts as litter, and that it's OK to throw them out of the window. It makes your car stink and actually devalues it come resale time too.
Reply 6
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
If you can focus on the road while lighting, yes (which is why the car lighter is good).
I love smoking in cars, it is actually one of my favourite things to do... Cigarette, music on, feet up on dashboard, sunglasses and a competant driver= bliss.

Feet on the dashboard? Lol, it's alrite for some. Do you drive yourself too?

What kind of cigs do you smoke? I like L&B or Embassy Number 1 myself.
Reply 7
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
some people seem to be able to manage it fine....
however if you are like the woman who was doing 80 on the M1 swerving to and fro in front of me because she was trying to light her cigerette... i suggest you stop it...
x

That's why I use the car cig lighter, it's easier to light up while driving along. Or I light up at traffic lights or before I set off.
Reply 8
The cars of people who smoke while driving STINK, and I point blank refuse to get in them. The smell makes me feel nauseous, and it completely surrounds you. I would also never buy a car that had a smoker for a previous owner.

I would also say that if eating/drinking while driving is deemed dangerous, then I'm sure as hell lighting up a cigarette and smoking it has similar consequences for your driving.
Reply 9
Original post by Walter Ego
There's talk of banning smoking in cars. I agree ! It compromises control and takes attention away. Then there's the aspect that most smokers don't seem to think of their packets, wrappings and butts as litter, and that it's OK to throw them out of the window. It makes your car stink and actually devalues it come resale time too.

i have never understood this

it doesn't need any inherent thought therefore no attention is needed so non is taken away from the road
Reply 10
Original post by kopite493
i have never understood this

it doesn't need any inherent thought therefore no attention is needed so non is taken away from the road

That is totally incorrect. Fiddling about with anything takes your attention away from the road. Lighting a cigarette is no different from using a handheld phone in that respect.

The current talk of banning smoking in cars is completely to do with the health risks of smoking per se (particularly with regards children), not the extra dangers of trying to open a pack, get one out, and light it while you're driving through a busy shopping precinct on a Saturday afternoon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/16/smoking-cars-ban-bma
Reply 11
I used to roll fags whilst driving (i've stopped doing that though now, that was dangerous).

Never had a problem with smoking at the wheel though, I ask passengers if they mind, I use the ashtray.
Original post by DeputyDog
Feet on the dashboard? Lol, it's alrite for some. Do you drive yourself too?

What kind of cigs do you smoke? I like L&B or Embassy Number 1 myself.

I don't drive, don't have the necessary attention span needed!

I smoke Marlboro reds/lights/ gauloises/drum gold and Richmonds.

It wont be obeyed. Just like people shouldn't use mobile phones while driving. If anything, smoking while driving is the same as opening and eating a packet of biscuits, then throwing the wrapper out of the window.
Reply 14
Original post by Jack7Richards
It wont be obeyed. Just like people shouldn't use mobile phones while driving. If anything, smoking while driving is the same as opening and eating a packet of biscuits, then throwing the wrapper out of the window.

Smoking and driving isn't as big a distraction as texting while driving. I don't understand how people could think smoking while driving could cause an accident, whereas texting while driving I can understand their apprehension.
Reply 15
I can roll fags whilst driving, I don't think using the lighters too much. I always ask passengers if they mind before lighting up though.

Don't flick your butts out of the ****ing window though, seriously, that makes me so ****ing angry. You have an ashtray!
Littering and risking hitting motorcyclists with a lit cigarette/ possibly knackering someones paint behind just gives smokers a bad name.
Reply 16
Just because something is legal, doesn't mean its a good thing.

If you dropped that cig on the floor or something, your concentration will be distracted from the road. After all, driving is about getting from A to B, not about enjoying smoking in your car.
Reply 17

Well, that's not your problem is it nanny?
Original post by oo00oo
The cars of people who smoke while driving STINK, and I point blank refuse to get in them. The smell makes me feel nauseous, and it completely surrounds you. I would also never buy a car that had a smoker for a previous owner.

I would also say that if eating/drinking while driving is deemed dangerous, then I'm sure as hell lighting up a cigarette and smoking it has similar consequences for your driving.

How is lighting a cig while driving considered dangerous? Also, cars of people who smoke and drive don't HAVE to stink, they can simply use those car air fresheners and it's problem solved.
Reply 19
Your car must smell to non-smokers.

Quick Reply

Latest