The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
I was at a horse racing duty today - great fun :biggrin:

Lucky did you get to handle anything interesting?
New SJA uniform has arrived. Bit disappointed that after ordering the sizes of trousers and shirts that I have at the moment; the SJA equivalent sizes are way too large for me, I reckon they must have got that wrong. Happy with the designs though, they look really cool and my fleece fits me fine. The belt I ordered was the smallest you could get and it is way too long lol - gonna have to puncture a hole in there myself.

There have also been cases of the SJA logo being printed on SJA uniforms upside down - this is a fact.

Here is a picture of my fleece before I unwrapped it, thought some of you might be interested if you have not already got yours:

Original post by KingGoonIan
Lucky did you get to handle anything interesting?

Nothing serious but a horse and rider did manage to smash through a jump :/
Reply 183
The belt I ordered was the smallest you could get and it is way too long lol - gonna have to puncture a hole in there myself.

Note that if you push the centre part of the buckle, you can remove the leather part of the belt and cut it to size :smile:

I suggest cutting it so that when it fits you nicely, you can still make it *at least* two inches (holes) shorter / longer.. ie, you wear it at about the middle hole. Handy for if you put on a bit of weight / lose some. You'll have some flexibility because you won't be at the extreme end of the available holes :smile:

New SJA uniform has arrived. Bit disappointed that after ordering the sizes of trousers and shirts that I have at the moment; the SJA equivalent sizes are way too large for me, I reckon they must have got that wrong.

I'm not sure about the shirts / t-shirts, but I believe that the trousers are not slim-fitting so that you can wear your own trousers underneath - handy for infection control / not wearing your uniform en-route to events, or simply for when it is cold :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kwah
Note that if you push the centre part of the buckle, you can remove the leather part of the belt and cut it to size :smile:

Ooh thank you very much - a secret button! :smile:

Welcome to the SJA society, if you haven't been here before :wink:
Nothing serious but a horse and rider did manage to smash through a jump :/

Sounds way more exciting than my day.
Sounds way more exciting than my day.

It was pretty exciting - got SJA competitions this Sunday - so nerve wracking!!
It was pretty exciting - got SJA competitions this Sunday - so nerve wracking!!

Oh good luck! I've never done one before, they sound scary :eek:

I need to re-qualify as an AFA this coming Monday which is bad enough on your own, never mind competing.
Oh good luck! I've never done one before, they sound scary :eek:

I need to re-qualify as an AFA this coming Monday which is bad enough on your own, never mind competing.

They do sound seriously scary!

Wow I'm not an AFA, only a cadet :/
They do sound seriously scary!

Wow I'm not an AFA, only a cadet :/

I wish I'd joined earlier and been a cadet, I joined my division at 17 and there wasn't a cadets so I just went straight to adult.
I wish I'd joined earlier and been a cadet, I joined my division at 17 and there wasn't a cadets so I just went straight to adult.

I wish I was in adults - have you seen the cadet uniform it is just terrible :P
I wish I was in adults - have you seen the cadet uniform it is just terrible :P

Nope but I might Google it now. :P
Nope but I might Google it now. :P

Do!

Do you not have any cadets help at any of the duties you go to?
Do!

Do you not have any cadets help at any of the duties you go to?

Nope never have. What do they do exactly?
Nope never have. What do they do exactly?

That's surprising.

To be honest not a great deal unless you have a lot of casualties.

We cannot treat really unless we have an adult FA with us, so often the adult will just take over - but if there is a minor injury and the cadet feels compotent to treat then we can - with any guidance required by the adult.

We also observe the adults treating or fill out PRFs, do easy tasks like banadaging, plasters etc. :P

But if there are suddenly loads of casualties we may end up treating one by ourselves.
cadet uniform is nearly exactly the same as adult 'black and white' uniform ( cadet badges and different headgear - beret for duties If worn )...

while it's not changing to SDU for cadet activities - because St John Youth didn't want to be part of SDU - 16 - 18 cadets with adult FA competencies should be wearing SDU when it is issued in their locality

As for the operational role of cadets on duty cadet first aiders can treat under supervision and adult role FAs (16 -18s) can treat under the same (minimal) supervision as any inexperienced adult FA, they can also undertake support roles in line with risk assessments and if suitably trained in radio comms and deemed suitable by the CRCO can be control operators or loggists
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Anyone going to Burwell House of Casualty Simulation this weekend?:smile:
Reply 197
Ooh thank you very much - a secret button! :smile:

Welcome to the SJA society, if you haven't been here before :wink:

It might also be worth noting that the silver stripes on the uniform are reflective - this is why Hi-Vis isn't strictly necessary all of the time :wink:

I did read through the whole thread a couple of days ago but there's a lot of information - which units are most people here in? Cadets? LINKS? Adult units? :smile:

PS: Thank you, I'm a long-time lurker here at TSR.. Always in and out but rarely posting - You should feel proud for getting me active again :P
Original post by kwah
It might also be worth noting that the silver stripes on the uniform are reflective - this is why Hi-Vis isn't strictly necessary all of the time :wink:

I did read through the whole thread a couple of days ago but there's a lot of information - which units are most people here in? Cadets? LINKS? Adult units? :smile:

PS: Thank you, I'm a long-time lurker here at TSR.. Always in and out but rarely posting - You should feel proud for getting me active again :P

So would you like me to include more information in the opening page? Or should we post more information as replies?

Thanks, I hope you stay active, especially on this thread :smile:
Can anyone suggest any good scenarios for me to practice my first aid knowledge on?

Quick Reply