The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Poll

Should the UK have a Monarchy?

I just wanted to do a quick poll on the views of the students on The Student Room at November 2011 as regards the Monarchy.

Simply answer yes or no.

:smile:

Thanks! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why does everything have to be reduced to 'yes' or 'no'? Can TSR not do nuanced and balanced discussion?
Reply 2
Original post by speedy1

Simply answer yes or no.

That's what a poll is for
Reply 3
^no, and to the question, yes.
Reply 4
Didn't we have a poll on this recently?

I vote Yes, no surprise :tongue:
Reply 5
Well yes, of course it can, but for this purpose (a poll) all I would like to know is whether the students of TSR are for or against the monarchy.
Reply 6
might help if you put a poll in?
Reply 7
Given that they actually give us a lot of money (a reasonable portion of which is given back to them via the Royal List) I would say we would be worse off without them. I think if we were to reform any part of the aristocracy we should start with the Lords, not the Monarchy, as this is the element that has the largest influence upon politics.
Reply 8
No

They're a waste of time and yes they generate money through tourism, do you see them selling all their jewels and gold to give to charity?

They're inbred and should be gotten rid off along with all other members of the ruling class who live in luxury while others suffer. "But at least their nice to look at"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
yes, the amount of money given to the royals every year is nothing compared to the amount they bring in from tourism every year
Reply 10
Yes we should, the republicans I speak to have the bizarre desire to replace the monarchy with a president and to that I always ask them what benefit that would bring and they can't answer
Reply 11
Original post by Renal
Can TSR not do nuanced and balanced discussion?

Tsk tsk... You've been on TSR how long now? Of course it can't. Within 25 posts the discussion will be dragged to hyperbolic extremes, resembling no actual angle of discussion and a flame war.
Reply 13

Every single one of those 'replies' are pretty easy to refute.
Reply 14
no, because they're smarmy.
Original post by gladders
Every single one of those 'replies' are pretty easy to refute.

Including the ones to 'the monarchy is great for tourism' (most irrelevant point when discussing the monarchy), 'the Windsors do so much for charity' and 'it's unpatriotic to be against the monarchy'?
Reply 16
This poll gets done every couple of months and every time the response is yes.
Reply 17

Sorry how does the queen influence who gets to be PM. And they did not even answer one of their own points. A president would be a bigger waste of money than the monarchy is. Plus the whole democracy argument that the monarchy is somehow undemocratic is just stupid. The queen has no effect on politics. And some of the most democratic countries in the world are constitutional monarchies
Reply 18
Original post by Aleandcynicism
Including the ones to 'the monarchy is great for tourism' (most irrelevant point when discussing the monarchy),

Well, it's not exactly an argument for a republic, either. I don't find the tourism issue terribly convincing either way, myself, but I find an awful lot of republicans citing it before any monarchists mention it.

'the Windsors do so much for charity' and

They do, really. Some examples here.

I note that the Republic 'retort' then mentions (as some form of criticism) that many of the charities are of the royals' own creation. I don't see why this should be seen as a bad thing.

'it's unpatriotic to be against the monarchy'?

Quite - but nor should it be considered terribly clever to be opposed to it!
Original post by gladders
Well, it's not exactly an argument for a republic, either. I don't find the tourism issue terribly convincing either way, myself, but I find an awful lot of republicans citing it before any monarchists mention it.

It's not. But this thread is the longest I've seen a monarchy debate going before a monarchist throws in the tourism argument.

They do, really. Some examples here.

I note that the Republic 'retort' then mentions (as some form of criticism) that many of the charities are of the royals' own creation. I don't see why this should be seen as a bad thing.

What would stop them from doing this charitable work if they weren't a royal family. And it's bad when pseudoscience gets a public boost because a prince endorses it, but that's another discussion.

Quite - but nor should it be considered terribly clever to be opposed to it!

I'm not a republican because I think I'm terribly clever; I think the concept of hereditary power, which has been transferred from the monarch to the prime minister (but would not exist without a monarch) gives the UK government far too much power. It's not controversial to say a UK government with a parliamentary majority can pass through whatever they like without hassle, and this stems from the power of the monarch.

Quick Reply

Latest