The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renal
Why does everything have to be reduced to 'yes' or 'no'? Can TSR not do nuanced and balanced discussion?

You remind me of a pain in the arse teacher I used to have.
Of course its a complicated subject that should be examined from both sides but the whole point in debates like these is that at the end, you should pick a side.

Otherwise your just wandering around stating facts and producing nothing from them.
Original post by thetobbit
The onlookers who use the British monarchy as an example of a "good thing" about Britain are obviously a bit air-headed and thus this is not worthy of mention.

Answer the question.
What would you reply?
Yep. Because it would be an assload more trouble than it would be worth to get rid of the monarchy, given that the monarch has in effect no power at all.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Answer the question.
What would you reply?

The obvious answer to your question is "the monarchy" --> my point is this is irrelevant the general masses can't be used as an intellectual source...

(Awaiting "Aha you said monarchy, see my point was correct")
Original post by Jimbo1234
:facepalm:

If someone asked you " What does it mean to be English?", what would you say? The monarchy is the last thing we have left before we have no identity and only negative traits would describe this place.

Why would a symbol of autocracy be a positive thing to associate one's national identity with?
Original post by thetobbit
The obvious answer to your question is "the monarchy" --> my point is this is irrelevant the general masses can't be used as an intellectual source...

(Awaiting "Aha you said monarchy, see my point was correct")

Don't give me what you think is right, but what you would say. The monarchy is the last identifiable remnant of a culture that this country has.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Why would a symbol of autocracy be a positive thing to associate one's national identity with?

Because that is not what the monarchy stands for and it is far better than the other two options we have; nothing, or rough, passive aggressive rude idiots.
I think the monarchy is great, and wouldn't want to get rid of it. I think the people who complain are petty and worse than hipsters the way they argue and moan.

Saw this recently, an interesting watch.

Eg. we wouldn't be called the United Kingdom any more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw&list=FLQij5wtAGk8lsOXsMKD8mTg&index=37&feature=plpp_video
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by freedom1
You do not have the freedom to elect your head of state

We don't want that freedom. We're happy for the head of state to be hereditary because they have no power. It's impicitly democratic because it's what the majority want.
Reply 68
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
We don't want that freedom. We're happy for the head of state to be hereditary because they have no power. It's impicitly democratic because it's what the majority want.

Then I want no part of this nonsense I renounce my citizenship.
Reply 69
You do not have the freedom to elect your head of state

Wow! You mean like the vast majority of other countries?

Most other ceremonial Heads of State are either inherited or appointed. Elections are mostly for executive positions only.
Reply 70
Original post by TimmonaPortella

How is monarchy a symbol of autocracy? The monarchy hasn't had autocratic power for centuries.

Why is it any different than associating a republic with autocracy, given the despotism that the Soviet and French republics suffered?
Reply 71

How terribly democratic of you, to throw a wobbly when someone disagrees with you.
Reply 72
Original post by gladders
How terribly democratic of you, to throw a wobbly when someone disagrees with you.

A country that values blood line over ability is not one I wish to remain in.
A country that values blood line over ability is not one I wish to remain in.

We don't value blood line over ability. We value tradition, order and stability. This the Monarchy provides. The fact that it is unelected is irrelevant because it has no power over Parliament.
Reply 74
Original post by pol pot noodles
We don't value blood line over ability. We value tradition, order and stability. This the Monarchy provides. The fact that it is unelected is irrelevant because it has no power over Parliament.

Quite so.

I would repeat the note about it not about bloodlines but about meritocracy, ironically; we can train the heir to be the best at the job, rather than electing a careerist mediocrity.

The only mechanism for this is to emigrate. Ireland has an elected head of state, it's not too far.
Reply 76
:daydreaming: yes... or two monarchies would be even better
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by T.I.
No no no no no and no.

Did I say no?

no
Reply 78
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
The only mechanism for this is to emigrate. Ireland has an elected head of state, it's not too far.

We shall have a civil war then. Let me just amass an army then it is go time.
We shall have a civil war then. Let me just amass an army then it is go time.

That'd be hilarious :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending