The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
I guess the answer is just that the majority of Brits and Commonwealth subjects like having a Queen.

People like being told how to do things, they can't think for themselves. People are disinterested in politics and elections they just want to watch X factor and read about celebrities. We need a debate between well informed intellectuals to really emphasis the positives and negatives of a monarchy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by freedom1
People like being told how to do things, they can't think for themselves. People are disinterested in politics and elections they just want to watch X factor and read about celebrities. We need a debate between well informed intellectuals to really emphasis the positives and negatives of a monarchy.

The royal family don't tell us how to do things :tongue: I agree, the political awareness and intellectual capacity of the public is imperfect, but replacing democracy with technocracy as you suggest is not a solution.
I wouldn't be upset living under an Absolute Monarchy to be honest, it would get things done easier

Now I hate to just post a video to some up my thoughts, but this one does a pretty good job

Besides, imagine how boring the world would be if every country was a Republic
Reply 103
Original post by thetobbit
No

They're a waste of time and yes they generate money through tourism, do you see them selling all their jewels and gold to give to charity?

They're inbred and should be gotten rid off along with all other members of the ruling class who live in luxury while others suffer. "But at least their nice to look at"

i remember you once tried to save the monarchy from a french prison owner?
Reply 104
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
The royal family don't tell us how to do things :tongue: I agree, the political awareness and intellectual capacity of the public is imperfect, but replacing democracy with technocracy as you suggest is not a solution.

We are a nation of lazy people who feel they are entitled to everything. People from poor nations work hard because if they don't they will get nowhere. In America they have the whole 'American dream' and work hard attitude. The head of state needs to provide a positive representation, however, the monarchy simply promotes the idea of elitism and discourages aspirations. The monarchy is one of the last surviving relics of our barbaric imperialistic era, we should have gotten rid of them when our empire came to an end.

We go around the world promoting democracy and freedom. This is complete hypocrisy as we ourselves do not have the freedom we provide others. We cannot elect our head of state. We cannot become the head of state. Our armed forces works for our monarchy not the government. Our national anthem is about saving the Queen, not the people, not the government, this is ridiculous without the people there is no Queen!
They make more money than they spend.

Also they're a symbol of of the UK and it's national identity.

So yes, keep them.

So basically, because people disagree with you, you write them all of as stupid and incapable of thinking for themselves?

How arrogant are you?

We ARE debating the positives and negatives of the monarchy and every one of your points so far has been downright poor.
We are a nation of lazy people who feel they are entitled to everything. People from poor nations work hard because if they don't they will get nowhere. In America they have the whole 'American dream' and work hard attitude. The head of state needs to provide a positive representation, however, the monarchy simply promotes the idea of elitism and discourages aspirations. The monarchy is one of the last surviving relics of our barbaric imperialistic era, we should have gotten rid of them when our empire came to an end.

We taught the Americans their 'American dream', and it says nothing about absence of monarchy - only rule by the people, which we also have.

Many of the most advanced and socially just nations in the world have monarchies, and many republics are downright ridden with inequality. Therefore there is no relationship, as you claim, between monarchy and elitism.

We go around the world promoting democracy and freedom. This is complete hypocrisy as we ourselves do not have the freedom we provide others. We cannot elect our head of state. We cannot become the head of state. Our armed forces works for our monarchy not the government. Our national anthem is about saving the Queen, not the people, not the government, this is ridiculous without the people there is no Queen!

So you have conveniently ignored my post responding to this? You wanted an open discussion about the monarchy.
Reply 108
Original post by gladders
So basically, because people disagree with you, you write them all of as stupid and incapable of thinking for themselves?

How arrogant are you?

We ARE debating the positives and negatives of the monarchy and every one of your points so far has been downright poor.

I haven't seen a single provable positive.

Tourism = unproven
Land deal with government = unproven
Money saved = unproven

come back when you have a proven point.
I haven't seen a single provable positive.

Tourism = unproven
Land deal with government = unproven
Money saved = unproven

come back when you have a proven point.

I never mentioned tourism. You did.

What land deal are you referring to?

Nor have I mentioned a money save - I think that was someone else. I do maintain, however, that the monarchy costs no more than a republic would.
Reply 110
I never mentioned tourism. You did.

What land deal are you referring to?

Nor have I mentioned a money save - I think that was someone else. I do maintain, however, that the monarchy costs no more than a republic would.

A republic gives people the freedom to decide who represents us. Be that the Queen under a new title of president or someone else. We should have the freedom to vote.
A republic gives people the freedom to decide who represents us. Be that the Queen under a new title of president or someone else. We should have the freedom to vote.

Why? What material benefit would that bring? I already told you that actual elected presidencies are by no means the norm worldwide.

Out of curiosity, do you want to allow people to elect judges, or police commissioners, or rubbish collectors?
(edited 12 years ago)
No discussion of the monarchy in the UK can ignore the discussion between an organic and a codified constitution, as they are inexorably linked. Our entire societal system, from laws to government, parliament and the courts, are based upon the idea that the monarch is the ruler and that all the institutions in place work through the monarch. Of course, you don't need a monarch for these institutions to work, but in the UK removing the monarchy would require a total codification of our constitution. This may or may not be a good thing, but it goes far beyond simply "do you like Lizzy?" and I don't think enough people respect that.
Reply 113
Why? What material benefit would that bring? I already told you that actual elected presidencies are by no means the norm worldwide.

Out of curiosity, do you want to allow people to elect judges, or police commissioners, or rubbish collectors?

What material benefit does liberating Libya bring? none but we did it anyway because we stand for freedom and the right to vote for your head of state. We do things because they are they righteous and fair not because it gives us material benefits. If we are going to simply act based on material benefits we might as well invade Iran and Saudi Arabia now and steal their oil.

Electing police commissioners and judges sounds like a good idea. The rubbish collector thing hmmm any point? although it happened on an episode of The Simpsons. I don't know whether the public would have any real desire to elect these as the effect on their lives will be unnoticeable.
Yes
Reply 115
lol@ at the fact that you still have a queen. How inappropriate and unnecessary. Glad my country got shed of you long ago.
Original post by L i b
There isn't a transitional point, either constitutionally or practically. As soon as the Queen dies, there is a new King immediately. In the first year or two, there are major events and issues of Royal protocol to be followed, most notably the Coronation.

Even if you support the idea of a referendum on the British monarchy, which I think is an utterly vapid and ridiculous plan (I should probably qualify that with 'no offence' or the like, it's not a matter of republicanism itself, but rather holding a referendum - which is fairly awful in itself - about something that there is no genuine appetite to change) then you really ought to accept that it would be unsuitable to have one during such a significant period. For one, all the Republicans would no doubt suggest that money spent on Accession and Coronation events would be essentially taxpayer-funded propaganda. By the time all this dies down, the new monarch is already bedded in.

So really, there is no clean transitional period. A moment, perhaps, but no more. It's certainly not a great time to hold a referendum. I suspect the only reason Republicans suggest it is because they think the Prince of Wales is less popular than the Queen.
I am far from an ardent Republican but I think the people should be allowed to have their say on the future of the monarchy. What offends you so much about giving the people a say?
What material benefit does liberating Libya bring? none but we did it anyway because we stand for freedom and the right to vote for your head of state. We do things because they are they righteous and fair not because it gives us material benefits. If we are going to simply act based on material benefits we might as well invade Iran and Saudi Arabia now and steal their oil.

That's a non-sequitur. For something to be done you must demonstrate a material benefit. Otherwise, imagine the shoe was on the other foot, and I were advocating change of a different kind. You'd want to be persuaded of the benefits before changing, wouldn't you?

Electing police commissioners and judges sounds like a good idea. The rubbish collector thing hmmm any point? although it happened on an episode of The Simpsons. I don't know whether the public would have any real desire to elect these as the effect on their lives will be unnoticeable.

I bold this part as it's significant. Can you explain how electing the Head of State would make a huge change to the ordinary man or woman on the street?

As you said earlier that it's essential we elect it for freedom's sake, why shouldn't we elect everything? Why stop at the Head of State?

And why should we elect commissioners or judges? I am quite sure that the majority of people in this country are horrified at the concept of electing judges, and possibly as much hostile to electing commissioners - because they fear the consequences of such an act for these positions, which are meant to be politically impartial.
Reply 118
My main issue with the monarchy is the absurd situation in which the head of state of a 21st century liberal democracy depends on who the preceding monarch gets fruity with. The grosteque constitutional situation in which the Government rules in the name of the Crown, and that the Crown, not the People, is sovereign is wrong.

I have no problem with the monarchy as an institution - English pomp and ceremony is one of the things that makes us so unique and admired around the world, and should be a real source of pride in our nation. But it's the intrinsic connection to our political culture that worries me.

Perhaps I show my real Labour colours when I say we can take a 'third way' approach to the monarchy. I'm not a monarchist, but neither am I a republican. I don't expect to see an elected President in the future, and nor should we.

The duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster, vast swathes of land owned by the Crown, make an annual profit of nearly £30 million. The Treasury lists 'head of state expenditure' at nearly £40 million, though we do have the most expensive monarchy in Europe. Why not tighten their belts and encourage them to use the profits from these business interests to fund themselves? It's how the ordinary folk live. If the monarchy can fund itself and would be no longer a burden to the Treasury, I see no reason why we should abolish it as an institution, where they can keep their titles, names, pomp and decor. This institution could them operate freely alongside, but seperate from, the political system, where the Government rules freely and democratically in the name of the people and the Royal Family continues to do it's ceremonial work, ie. the Queen as the ceremonial Head of the Commonwealth.
Reply 119
That's a non-sequitur. For something to be done you must demonstrate a material benefit. Otherwise, imagine the shoe was on the other foot, and I were advocating change of a different kind. You'd want to be persuaded of the benefits before changing, wouldn't you?

I bold this part as it's significant. Can you explain how electing the Head of State would make a huge change to the ordinary man or woman on the street?

As you said earlier that it's essential we elect it for freedom's sake, why shouldn't we elect everything? Why stop at the Head of State?

And why should we elect commissioners or judges? I am quite sure that the majority of people in this country are horrified at the concept of electing judges, and possibly as much hostile to electing commissioners - because they fear the consequences of such an act for these positions, which are meant to be politically impartial.

That is completely untrue our country has done plenty of things that do not offer material benefit.

It would make a huge difference. The news will be different, aspirations will be different and our mentality will be different.

Okay don't stop at head of state, who said you had to?

LOL how can these positions be politically impartial, everyone has a political opinion regardless of whether they are elected or selected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending