The Student Room Group

Are these too many difficult A-Levels?

I'm Currently in year 11 and studying towards completing my GCSE's. We've been asked to choose our A level subjects for next year and this is what i have come up with so far:

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
History

And these are my predicted grades for my GCSE's:

Mathematics: A* (Already attained
Further Pure Mathematics: B
Biology: A
Chemistry: A*/A
Physics: A*
English Language: A
English Lit: A
French B
History: A*
Music: A*
PE GCSE: A*

from looking at my current choices i'm scared of the possibility that my work load will be too great, and that my results will suffer as a result. I'm looking to do a course in Chemical Engineering at Uni and i know i could get into a good Uni if I really tried, but i'm still so confused. :s-smilie:

Any thoughts? (would be well appreciated :smile: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you dont need 5 A-Levels to get into uni, you only really need 3. If i were you i would start with all 5, then take the first term to see how you are getting on, if you are doing fine and getting high grades in all your module tests/h/wks then i would consider doing all5 for AS but normally i would expect you to finad it to be a lot of hard work in school, let alone the h/wks or c/wks...and as you are looking at chem eng i would be questioning wether history is needed.

and if history is your favourite subject i would be questioning wether you should look into history at uni rather than chem eng

But mainly this is my opinion so don't start hating :smile:

hope this helps :biggrin:

EDIT-can the people who have negatived this PM me just so that i know what to avoid posing in the future...thanks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, I've chosen Maths, Further Maths, French, Economics and Music and I have found the work load extremely heavy. I find music a really good break from my other subjects because it's quite tricky but it's so much different and everyone who does it says its a really good break :smile:. So maybe try music instead of history, but your combination is really strong and cambridge rate all those subjects grade A :biggrin:
Reply 3
difficulty is all relative. For example, I would find it easier to do maths, further maths and economics than media studies alone.
Reply 4
Original post by Callum Haggarty
I'm Currently in year 11 and studying towards completing my GCSE's. We've been asked to choose our A level subjects for next year and this is what i have come up with so far:

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
History

French B

from looking at my current choices i'm scared of the possibility that my work load will be too great, and that my results will suffer as a result. I'm looking to do a course in Chemical Engineering at Uni and i know i could get into a good Uni if I really tried, but i'm still so confused. :s-smilie:

I don't recommend taking 5. I know it'll be hard, but perhaps you need to decide which one to drop. Perhaps you could get through a term doing 5, then see how you cope. It's just that you'll really feel the pinch when you get to the time running up to the exams and you find you have lots to do. Quality remember, not quantity. But definitely don't choose more than 4 for A2.
Reply 5

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
History

French B

Drop either History or Phyiscs. 4 Will do just fine.
Reply 6
It depends on you tbh. Sorry if that sounds vague.
Reply 7
dont take 5 just to look clever.
Do 4 and do really well, further maths is hard you can always pick the modules up at a later date :smile:
Reply 8
Drop either Further Maths or Physics - they're not needed and it's just excess work.

Spend your extra time on other stuff, like reading about chem eng, it'll look much better at interview/on your personal statement than a 5th A level
ditch history, you don't need it, it doesn't strengthen your application, all the other subjects do.
Reply 10
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography, Economics and General Studies. Workload is fine if you just get down and do it.

But as other people have said, just take it as it comes, if you find it too much after a term, drop the one you prefer the least.
h
EDIT: Also don't listen to the people saying drop this, drop that etc. Chemistry and Maths are obvious essentials. Further Maths is becoming essential for all engineering as A-Level maths is not as difficult as it used to be and physics shows that you have the science skills. History is a great counter to this as it shows you can also write essays, think in a non-scientific manner and generally give your application a more balanced feel.
(edited 12 years ago)
I did 5 (+ RS as it was compulsory in our school). All I can say was, it depends what type of person you are. Personally, I would go for it, and then you can drop one if you don't like it. That said, don't be expecting as much free time as your friends who do 3 or 4 subjects :tongue:
I'm currently doing five a-levels. I don't think it strengthens your uni application and I'm doing it because I just couldn't choose between Further maths and English lit. Honestly, I depends on the type of person you are. If you can handle the workload (and I warn you it is a lot) then you should be fine. It just means more homework and more revision.
Reply 13
Original post by george424
Drop either Further Maths or Physics - they're not needed and it's just excess work.

Spend your extra time on other stuff, like reading about chem eng, it'll look much better at interview/on your personal statement than a 5th A level

My friend doing chem eng says that there is more physics than chemistry in chem eng :wink:
Reply 14

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
History

French B

Depends! If you're talented in Maths, AS level won't be much work, even Further Maths. Physics and Chemistry, by the sounds of it, are a LOT of work, as is History, as it's notes, notes, notes, and essays galore. I'm doing 6 AS levels, and I'm coping fine! Best of luck!
Original post by lcsurfer
dont take 5 just to look clever.
Do 4 and do really well, further maths is hard you can always pick the modules up at a later date :smile:

I just wanted to ask, how can you pick the modules at a later date. I'm just wondering as a couple of people
in my year (who are doing maths, not further maths) have mentioned that next year they might be able to pick up some modules. How is it possible?
I did those exact A Levels and I found the work-load okay. If you're passionate and make sure to keep ahead, it's actually rather easy. I have a massive love of Maths, Physics and Chemistry fueled my interest and History was a nice change and I loved being able to switch to essay-writing when the numbers took a toll.

My School had a policy of having to drop a subject in the second year, so I dropped History for A2 and tbh, I think that was wise. I think it's manageable to take all three onwards but you don't gain much from having 5 A-Levels, plus for me, the essays started distracting me from fully focusing on Maths. Although if I could do it again, I'd drop Chemistry, so be careful when you decide what to do in the second year. But you know, there's no harm starting with five A-Levels - at least you can drop one or two along the way if it's too tough :smile:

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you not to do it! There's no harm in trying! If you really enjoy something, you will put the hard work in for it! And if it's too much, you can drop it.
Id say to do 4 throughout the 2 years. Drop the history perhaps?
My sister did chem, maths, f.maths, physics and history to A2 with sickeningly little work. I did bio, chem, physics, maths and f.maths with a lot more work but happily enough. We both love maths. Makes life so much easier! So yes, will very much depend on you, as to whether it is too hard or not...
Reply 19
Original post by Hypocrism
My friend doing chem eng says that there is more physics than chemistry in chem eng :wink:

Tell that to the admissions tutors when applying :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest