The Student Room Group

What is the "best" division to work for in a Big 4 company?

I know this is a really stupid and ignorant question, but I was wondering if any one could let me know what the most revered and prestigious division in a big4 company is? (Consulting, Financial Advisory etc)

For example - mainstream society would consider Sales and Trading or Investment Banking the "best" divisions in Banking..

Does any one have an answer to this?

Sorry for posting such a stupid question :colondollar:
Reply 1
And also, do all divisions get paid the same? I heard the Financial Advisory lot get the most..
I would say Consultancy/CorpFin at Deloitte in particular.

Divisions get paid differently.
Audit 27-28
TS/CorpFin 28-32
Advisory 28-32
Tax 28

This is for London in the first year. You'd probably be somewhere in the 40's depending on performance by the start of your 4th year.
Reply 3
Which ever you enjoy most.
Reply 4
the secretary's "division"
Original post by Kemik
Which ever you enjoy most.

And how are you meant to know this when you're still at uni....
Reply 6
Original post by partoftheweekend
And how are you meant to know this when you're still at uni....

Research different departments. Attend the sessions to meet the people who work in those departments. You don't want to be in a job you hate for 3 years, and as much as people think Accounting is all the same there are huge rivalries and different departments really do suit different people.
Original post by Kemik
Research different departments. Attend the sessions to meet the people who work in those departments. You don't want to be in a job you hate for 3 years, and as much as people think Accounting is all the same there are huge rivalries and different departments really do suit different people.

I agree people need to research more but really unless you do an internship you're not going to know what their jobs are like day in-day out. Finding a department with a good group of colleagues is probably going to be the best thing you can do if you want to enjoy your job. But really how are you going to find out about all the people in all the firms?
Reply 8
I agree people need to research more but really unless you do an internship you're not going to know what their jobs are like day in-day out. Finding a department with a good group of colleagues is probably going to be the best thing you can do if you want to enjoy your job. But really how are you going to find out about all the people in all the firms?

But surely with a bit of research of what the departments do (and asking people that work for them at events you'll find they're very open) will give you a good idea of what sounds more enjoyable to you?

That must be so much more meaningful than any fractional extra prestige you might think you have from being in a certain department and to be honest day to day I don't have any thought about the prestige of one department over another while I'm at work. The closest I can see is that you might get some prestige from having certain clients, especially when you get to assistant manager and above.

In reality I think most people get their sense of prestige from the firm they work for, not the department.
Original post by 86501
But surely with a bit of research of what the departments do (and asking people that work for them at events you'll find they're very open) will give you a good idea of what sounds more enjoyable to you?

That must be so much more meaningful than any fractional extra prestige you might think you have from being in a certain department and to be honest day to day I don't have any thought about the prestige of one department over another while I'm at work. The closest I can see is that you might get some prestige from having certain clients, especially when you get to assistant manager and above.

In reality I think most people get their sense of prestige from the firm they work for, not the department.

Some divisions are harder to get into and pay more. This is why there is probably prestige associated to them. Each firm will also be better at certain things or in certain sectors so it may help to try to place yourself with a particular division/sector.
Reply 10
Some divisions are harder to get into and pay more. This is why there is probably prestige associated to them. Each firm will also be better at certain things or in certain sectors so it may help to try to place yourself with a particular division/sector.

Point taken, and to some maybe it does make a difference, but I personally don't see it. I work in our public sector division because that's what interests me and what I care about. All I can say is that I don't see any kind of competitiveness between departments that would create that prestige effect when you're actually at the firm.

I would stand by the fact you should definitely be choosing your LOB based on where your interest lies or you're going to have a pretty miserable 3 years I would expect. If you've performed well then the firms are pretty flexible about allowing you to transfer when you've qualified anyway should you decide it was the wrong choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending