The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverbySkyline
That is unbelievable! You should snap that up ASAP! If there was a flat like that anywhere near that price up here I'd get it in an instant! Although the price makes me think something is wrong...*Gets detective hat on*

The price isn't unique to that one apartment, all are in a similar range in the block and some of the one bedroomed ones have gone for £30k. It's completely unexplainable. The two bedroom ones have a family bathroom AND an en-suite to the main bedroom AND a balcony, it's just bizarre.

I wish I could snap it up, but I don't have enough at the moment. I have enough for the deposit but they won't give me a mortgage as I'm a freelance writer with no "regular" earning at the moment as I'm still in uni. But I know there will still be some available on the market when I'm ready in a few months because they've been there ages!

EDIT: There is a train track literally right next to it, with three trains an hour, which might explain for a lower price than others in the area. But the glass on the windows is thick enough so that you can't hear them much, and they stop running at 11pm anyway! As I said I know a lot about the apartments as I lived there for 4 months last summer with my boyfriend.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20793558.html
^A 1 bed listed for £35k.

And I know there was one other last week that had an offer of £30k which has now been removed so I can only assume the offer was accepted.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm so joining this :awesome: got my latest statement in regards to savings and have £997 so far :biggrin: (Most I've ever saved)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
The price isn't unique to that one apartment, all are in a similar range in the block and some of the one bedroomed ones have gone for £30k. It's completely unexplainable. The two bedroom ones have a family bathroom AND an en-suite to the main bedroom AND a balcony, it's just bizarre.

I wish I could snap it up, but I don't have enough at the moment. I have enough for the deposit but they won't give me a mortgage as I'm a freelance writer with no "regular" earning at the moment as I'm still in uni. But I know there will still be some available on the market when I'm ready in a few months because they've been there ages!

EDIT: There is a train track literally right next to it, with three trains an hour, which might explain for a lower price than others in the area. But the glass on the windows is thick enough so that you can't hear them much, and they stop running at 11pm anyway! As I said I know a lot about the apartments as I lived there for 4 months last summer with my boyfriend.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20793558.html
^A 1 bed listed for £35k.

And I know there was one other last week that had an offer of £30k which has now been removed so I can only assume the offer was accepted.

So jealous.
I've applied for five jobs over the summer so far. Been rejected from one do far :sad: and waiting in the rest.

Today going to try and make my skills more specific whilst doing my work. There are a few more places with jobs that might suit my skills. Also going to look around local theatres for front of house work. The aim is to make enough money to help with things like rent for next year.
Reply 324
No savings but hoping save over the summer and by this time next year, save £1-2k.
Reply 325
Could get another 1k if I work for 4 weeks full time over the summer but I don't know if I want to lose that much time in my last chance of freedom before uni. Though it would be my year of my Saturday's pay in 4 weeks.
Does anyone else feel that "treating" themselves is more like punishing themselves?
Definitely, I end up wanting the saved money as well so bought myself a camera and am now working to pay for it - but I already had enough to pay for it lol so I just work twice as hard for the same thing.
My savings just plummeted from £3000 to £300 :awesome:

I think I worked out I can save a fair bit of my student loan though :h:
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
My savings just plummeted from £3000 to £300 :awesome:

I think I worked out I can save a fair bit of my student loan though :h:

How? :eek:
A brief update. I now have two jobs, and another job interview on the 3rd May. Hopefully my savings will increase markedly as a result of this :smile:

Letsdothetimewarpagain, i hope your savings get back on track soon! Best of luck!
I worked out that I would have to save £470pm to fill my ISA this year. April's was no problem, but May will be as I have exams to revise for and therefore haven't been selling enough work! So will be about £60 short. Hopefully I will be able to make this up in later months!
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
A brief update. I now have two jobs, and another job interview on the 3rd May. Hopefully my savings will increase markedly as a result of this :smile:

Letsdothetimewarpagain, i hope your savings get back on track soon! Best of luck!

Well done :smile:

Got my student finance so immediately put £1000 away and put an extra £100 in for good measure!
I'll tell you one thing that really eats into the savings: bloody train tickets.

I've got a double wage coming in at the end of this week though so can't really complain I suppose. :tongue:
Do you think it's good to open an ISA towards the end of the tax year or the beginning? I have one isa but that has nothing in it ATM and I have my monthly saver. I'm thinking when the 12 months of my monthly saver are over I would put that money into an ISA. Thoughts?
Reply 335
Original post by cpdavis
Do you think it's good to open an ISA towards the end of the tax year or the beginning? I have one isa but that has nothing in it ATM and I have my monthly saver. I'm thinking when the 12 months of my monthly saver are over I would put that money into an ISA. Thoughts?

Think I saw that the best deals happen just before the end of the tax year?:dontknow:
Original post by cpdavis

The start of the year, undoubtedly - you get an extra year's worth of tax-free interest. That's what I always do.
Original post by JayReg
Think I saw that the best deals happen just before the end of the tax year?:dontknow:

Yes, the best deals tend to come up just before the end of the tax year (to catch late investors), but they then usually continue be available in the early weeks of the new tax year.
Another job interview! I thought there was a recession on! I already have two jobs and have three more interviews. Very surprised, as this time last year I was finding it nigh on impossible to get a job. Properly happy right now :smile:
Original post by insignificant
Well done :smile:

Got my student finance so immediately put £1000 away and put an extra £100 in for good measure!

Good for you! Saving is definitely the way forward. Are you saving up for anything in particular, or do you just like having a cushion there for support? Do you have anything planned for the summer, jobs and such?
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Good for you! Saving is definitely the way forward. Are you saving up for anything in particular, or do you just like having a cushion there for support? Do you have anything planned for the summer, jobs and such?

Its just for a nice feeling. Basically my aim is to try save a ton of my money so I can retire early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending