The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JohnJoe
Your £12,5 is damn impressive as well!
If you don't mind me asking how long have you been saving and how old are you?

I'm talking 15k€ (£12,8k), which is on about the same level of impossibleness but yeah... I have to try get:
1. Job for the day that still lets me go to Uni (conditional offer)
2. Job for the night until about 2 AM so I can sleep at 3-7

I wont be online much anymore if I manage to get those two jobs. But.. Money!

I'm 29 and tbh at my age I should be a bit richer, but I've made a couple of changes recently so hopefully I can start saving properly again. I was saving and working really hard for about 2-3 years until I lost my job due to the recession, so for the last 12 months I've been at a standstill.

If you're going to uni I'd highly recommend avoiding debt if you can (which it sounds like you're doing) so you can graduate with your finances intact.
Reply 61
Ladies and gentlemen...... I am now applying for a soc seeing as we have so much interest. I will report back after. I am also going to see to it that our thread is stickied. I spoke to Illusionary about this and he said it would be a great idea and I should set it up (Months back , early this year I think :holmes:) Remember guys: This is on the understanding that we do not have affiliate links on here.

Just thought I would slip that warning in. :smile:

Original post by JohnJoe
X

Original post by Ninja Girl
X

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
X!

Original post by leemkule
X

Original post by Ninja Girl
X

Original post by iPhone
X

Original post by Erich Hartmann
This should be made a sticky for everyone.

Oh yeah... IN definitely.

Original post by JustAnotherCliche
X.

Original post by Eddd
X

Original post by JohnJoe
X

Original post by FelixFelicis
X

Original post by Bill_Gates
X

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
X

Even Timewarp is in! :gah:
Aha have you guys seen http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-ultimate-guide-to-penny-pinching/4od#3265247 I'm careful with money but the people on here are scary.

Plus an old teacher of mine is on it :ninja:

I'm gonna have to watch this! :awesome:

Scary? LOL. Meet my dad! :laugh:

:sad: Now that is scary. ............ Borderline of **** your pants annoying! :tongue:

Nice dude, how did you manage that? Stocks and shares?

My stocks & shares are doing terrible at the moment (honesty) i run a small business and im quite a cheap ass not when im drunk though.

Oh cool. What is your business about? :holmes:

Forgot to mention a property investment too.

Property investment? Elaborate please :gah:

Original post by insignificant
x

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Ladies and gentlemen...... I am now applying for a soc seeing as we have so much interest. I will report back after. I am also going to see to it that our thread is stickied. I spoke to Illusionary about this and he said it would be a great idea and I should set it up (Months back , early this year I think :holmes:) Remember guys: This is on the understanding that we do not have affiliate links on here.
Did I say exactly that? :tongue: But yeah, stick an application in and you can have this sorted. :yy:
Reply 63
Original post by Illusionary
Did I say exactly that? :tongue: But yeah, stick an application in and you can have this sorted. :yy:

Yup! Something along those lines in a thread in AAM/AASM. I think it was about my GiffGaff referral link in my sig but one thing lead to another.... i suggested this and you were all :awesome: I put it off for a while and BAM!!!! I'm now TSR's own Martin Lewis! :awesome:

Yup! Something along those lines in a thread in AAM/AASM. I think it was about my GiffGaff referral link in my sig but one thing lead to another.... i suggested this and you were all :awesome: I put it off for a while and BAM!!!! I'm now TSR's own Martin Lewis! :awesome:

Don't push it :wink: I believe my exact words were "could actually have the potential to work very well", so it's good to see that this is off to a good start. :smile:
Reply 65
Don't push it :wink: I believe my exact words were "could actually have the potential to work very well", so it's good to see that this is off to a good start. :smile:

:awesome:
Im at the bit where the guy picks up roadkill ... I might throw up.

I wanna be a member!

Savings:

£1016.

Aiming for £10000 before I finish uni in June 2013 :smile:

You will make a man very happy one day.
Reply 67
:yes: Never buy anything on the internet without first visiting HotUKDeals and Quidco!

This! :biggrin:

I never ever go for things online without it either! Your Twitter is full of HotUKDeals STUFF! :tongue: You should make a Twitter feed dedicated to Money saving and all! :biggrin:

I have £1.6 k, which for an 18 year old female is pretty good going :colonhash:

£1.6K??? What is this? I don't even..... How did you manage that? When did you start? I have £0 :sad:

In that case.......... Seeing as you are the most kindest (and richest :awesome:) supermod on TSR ...... I would be more than happy for you to pay for my sub for a whole year. :awesome:

What the...I can't even.... Seriously how is that achievable? You trolling?

He has to be. All of that money in one day!

or...... Bitch is doing drugs :teehee:
Reply 68
JOIN THE SOC GUYS!

Thanks to Illusionary...... :crazy:

Here is our new soc:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1728

TSR Money Saving Club :smile:
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
You will make a man very happy one day.

No I won't, aint noone touching my hard earned money!
I have £1305 in my savings account at the moment, and I'm on course to make that approximately £3500 by June next year, by which time I'll be 22, which I think is a sort of semi decent amount of money to have in the account at that age, what does everyone else reckon?

I'm desperately trying to get a part time job at the moment, but I've had no such luck, hopefully I'll have one by next summer to try and save up more money.

My masterplan at the moment is to try and save up at least £5000 for the start of unversity. Once I start uni, I'll save like a bastard from my student loan, and hopefully work during the summer as well. Ideally I'd like to have about £10,000 in the bank by the time I finish uni.

That will therefore provide me with a good base with which to start working and put a deposit on a house, and buy a decent car, etc, so I can "settle down" so to speak into working life, as I'll be in my late 20s by the time I finish uni.

That's the plan anyways.
No I won't, aint noone touching my hard earned money!

lol, not what I meant :tongue: How old are you? I think being that organised with your money shows maturity, whereas a lot of other young people are too busy getting wasted and squandering their money on holidays, nights out, etc.
15k in savings this year oh yeahr!!

Teach me.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
lol, not what I meant :tongue: How old are you? I think being that organised with your money shows maturity, whereas a lot of other young people are too busy getting wasted and squandering their money on holidays, nights out, etc.

Oh right :smile: Yeah I find it very hard to part with money unless theres a good reason for it. Alcohol is not one of them! I'd rather be able to afford my own flat after uni or go travelling straight away rather than be left with nothing and then think , hmm.... I really need a job..
Subscribed :holmes: Have some healthy savings but always welcome some hints and tips.
AHEM, really?? I'm female and I have over £5,000 savings. Don't generalise :biggrin:

Nice one. How did you save up, just through working, yea?
I have £1.6 k, which for an 18 year old female is pretty good going :colonhash:

You are £300 ahead of me :angry: Well done, anything in particular you're saving up for, or are you just trying to be prepared for uni and that? I think it's good that you're saving up even though you're only 18, whereas a lot of others your age don't really have that same maturity.
Oh right :smile: Yeah I find it very hard to part with money unless theres a good reason for it. Alcohol is not one of them! I'd rather be able to afford my own flat after uni or go travelling straight away rather than be left with nothing and then think , hmm.... I really need a job..

Good for you, you've definitely got your head screwed on right.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Thought I'd join you on here as I've recently got into saving.

I have a Barclay's ISA (Golden ISA, Issue 2) and have ~£4.5k in there at the moment. I get just over £7 per month interest on it which is better than nothing. Hope to have £6k in there by the time I graduate, then can concentrate on working full time.

I'm saving up for a flat in a new development near where I live. They sell at the moment for £45k for a one bedroom, so it seems like a good investment while the property prices are rock bottom. Plan to buy it mortgage free within two years and then rent it out while I'm still living in my partner's flat. Or move into our shiny new flat and rent his out; doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Also have £2k of Premium Bonds which were bought on my behalf when I was born. Not sure whether they're best staying as Bonds, or whether they'd earn me more in an ISA, but as my Grandad gave them to me I'm going to leave them as Bonds for now, as that was the gift he gave me.

EDIT 2: I'm 21 by the way, and have worked in whatever job was legal since I was 13. Have a slight obsession with money, however saving rather than splurging has only been a recent development.

I'm 21 as well, but you put me to shame with your saving habits. You've got similar intentions to me I think, with your main goal being to put yourself in the best possible shape for the future. You've definitely got things sussed with your living arrangements as well, and you definitely seem to have things planned out.

Well done to you!

Quick Reply