The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Some friendly advise from your favourite Uncle Scrooge :smile: I am just somewhat value conscious which unfortunately often comes off as being stingy and selfish... I blame it on genes :biggrin:

Anyway have always been somewhat of a good saver.... my family often tell me even when I was 5 I knew how to squeeze money for better deals LOL... I don't particularly remember that era........but I'll take their word for it.

I went to uni a few months after turning 17, that was in 1995 :tongue: and I had already saved up US$4000 of my own money to go, remember now it won't seem like a lot of money but that was a lot of money back then... how I earned it? I used to build databases.... was rather good at it back then... first customer was my mum and I think she purposely overpaid me LOL.

Anyway, an important thing to always remember about finance........ evaluate and plan... failure to plan is planning to fail... very simple.

My finances are quite simple in reality, for every £1000 I earn after all deductions and taxes I do the following :-

i) 10% I remove it and give it to church, though now I only do 7% as in Switzerland you have to pay 3% church tax :tongue:

ii) 10% I save it in something fairly liquid, usually short term saving accounts that you could withdraw money at any time. I never let this build up to more than 2 months salary of my main job.

iii) 5% I take it out for short term investments, usually buy stocks, commodities or stuff such as oil or gold. Any profits are reinvested the same way.

iv) 15% I take it out and dump it into a long term tax-free savings account, the one that can give the best ever returns. Then each year in November I will evaluate what I will do with the money..... usually end up buying real estate to let out for a profit, investing it into a business or buying stocks to keep for long term. Returns or any profits from this I also do the same thing.

Now am left with £600 of the original £1000..... I just go on the basis that I've made £600 and not £1000, so as most experts believe your rent shouldn't be more than 20% of your monthly income, so I just look for a place that is £120 rather than £200 :smile: even if it means living in an area not befitting someone who does my kind of work :smile:

Bonuses are different of course.... 10% still goes to church, 30% I keep for fun stuff, 50% into iv and the rest into iii.

Haven't done too badly I think, at my height I owned 8 properties, 7 of them rented out for profit of 18% average. Also invested in the following businesses an organic farm, 2 country-inns, a bakery and I am the owner of a small company that does property development, usually by means of refurbishing old buildings into very nice ones. Earlier this year sold off everything that had debts on it.. as I wanted to move away from real estate.

Money gained from the sale, some of it went into buying up that alpine lodge in Switzerland, the owner wanted to retire and I was keen on expanding my hospitality businesses. The other part of the money I bought one very derelict mansion from the Canton for CHF100 on the promise that I would convert that mansion into 6 townhouses without significantly affecting the exterior of the house and after it was completed the Canton gets the rights to 2 units of the townhouses. Thankfully I also received a green-home grant to retro-fit various energy generation and saving devices into the building.... am trying to win an award for this project. Was originally going to sell off the 4 units, but only sold 2, 1 I kept for my own stay and another I rent it out to one policewoman.

Last 3 months also begun selling off everything I owned, cars (I'm a classic car collector), antiques, the bakery, all remaining real estate in Britain and anything that had value to it needed to go.... went were the 2 country-inns. Even our old family home sold together with the organic farm... needed to raise funds for a new business venture... found a distressed company and one that had some rather valuable patents and tooling in Switzerland. Was originally going to bring all the tooling and locate it somewhere in Wales, but that proved to be quite a disastrous plan... I asked the Welsh Government for a place and a small grant... they gave some ludicrous conditions for the award of a grant which was only 3% of the final amount required....which would have been fine as I could have found a way to raise more money, except I asked for a place in either north or south Wales, they came up with the idea of why not have one site in North Wales to manufacture all the components and truck everything to a site in South Wales to assemble it. I told them they can keep their grant and was about to give up... in the end I told the company I was going to pull out from the sale as I didn't have enough money to save it, had 50% of it in cash, 43% in loans and needed the last 7% for it... the head of that company asked me to ask the Canton in which the tooling were located in and also to speak to someone at the Federal government, a few calls, emails and meetings and it turned out I had enough money after all... 3 grants, 2 tax-holidays, 1 year free rent at one industrial park and turns out I don't even need 43% in loans, in the end the shortfall I had to make up in loans was only 8% saved a good part of it on the relocation cost and another good part of it was saved from the need to pay out redundancies and goodwill. On top of that, I also got offered 4 big contracts and 3 smaller ones from the 3 governments that took faith in this whole project... which essentially gives me lots of breathing space...... moral of the story : After the final contract was signed by the representatives of the governments involved, I told them if they had come earlier it would have spared me and all the staff that were about to lose their jobs much of the agony... the person who was representing the Canton where the main plant will be located at simply looked at me with her steely blue eyes and said "But you never asked either." (Imagine that being said in very sterile and formal German) LOL.

Which brings me to the next point when it comes to saving money or doing anything else....... always do it with both eyes and ears open. Just because something appears to be cheap does not mean it is value... think long term. Also your bank isn't in the business of helping you save money :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Erich Hartmann
Some friendly advise from your favourite Uncle Scrooge :smile: .............

Imo you've been very very lucky with your real estate deals, the property market was heading for an almightly crash at the tail end of 2007 yet it was propped up all over the west with bank bailouts and ludicrous zero interest rate policies. Despite the subsidies many "billionaire" real estate moguls have been caught out and gone into liquidiation because of their unrealistic business model (just buy real estate and hope that it continues to inflate)

tbh it sounds like you're a bit of a subsidy chaser yourself, especially with your latest gov't back business venture. I'm a bit jealous as I'd quite like to get my hands of some of that free money too!
Subscribed.... I could do with saving some money.
Reply 83
Yeah, I'm in too =].
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Teach me.

It took my parents 21 years to teach me! Health comes first! The more you save the quicker you gain economic freedom and do the things you love which make you truely happy. I dont want to stay on the 9 to 5 grind for the rest of my life start saving people!!
Some friendly advise from your favourite Uncle Scrooge :smile: I am just somewhat value conscious which unfortunately often comes off as being stingy and selfish... I blame it on genes :biggrin:

Anyway have always been somewhat of a good saver.... my family often tell me even when I was 5 I knew how to squeeze money for better deals LOL... I don't particularly remember that era........but I'll take their word for it.

I went to uni a few months after turning 17, that was in 1995 :tongue: and I had already saved up US$4000 of my own money to go, remember now it won't seem like a lot of money but that was a lot of money back then... how I earned it? I used to build databases.... was rather good at it back then... first customer was my mum and I think she purposely overpaid me LOL.

Anyway, an important thing to always remember about finance........ evaluate and plan... failure to plan is planning to fail... very simple.

My finances are quite simple in reality, for every £1000 I earn after all deductions and taxes I do the following :-

i) 10% I remove it and give it to church, though now I only do 7% as in Switzerland you have to pay 3% church tax :tongue:

ii) 10% I save it in something fairly liquid, usually short term saving accounts that you could withdraw money at any time. I never let this build up to more than 2 months salary of my main job.

iii) 5% I take it out for short term investments, usually buy stocks, commodities or stuff such as oil or gold. Any profits are reinvested the same way.

iv) 15% I take it out and dump it into a long term tax-free savings account, the one that can give the best ever returns. Then each year in November I will evaluate what I will do with the money..... usually end up buying real estate to let out for a profit, investing it into a business or buying stocks to keep for long term. Returns or any profits from this I also do the same thing.

Now am left with £600 of the original £1000..... I just go on the basis that I've made £600 and not £1000, so as most experts believe your rent shouldn't be more than 20% of your monthly income, so I just look for a place that is £120 rather than £200 :smile: even if it means living in an area not befitting someone who does my kind of work :smile:

Bonuses are different of course.... 10% still goes to church, 30% I keep for fun stuff, 50% into iv and the rest into iii.

Haven't done too badly I think, at my height I owned 8 properties, 7 of them rented out for profit of 18% average. Also invested in the following businesses an organic farm, 2 country-inns, a bakery and I am the owner of a small company that does property development, usually by means of refurbishing old buildings into very nice ones. Earlier this year sold off everything that had debts on it.. as I wanted to move away from real estate.

Money gained from the sale, some of it went into buying up that alpine lodge in Switzerland, the owner wanted to retire and I was keen on expanding my hospitality businesses. The other part of the money I bought one very derelict mansion from the Canton for CHF100 on the promise that I would convert that mansion into 6 townhouses without significantly affecting the exterior of the house and after it was completed the Canton gets the rights to 2 units of the townhouses. Thankfully I also received a green-home grant to retro-fit various energy generation and saving devices into the building.... am trying to win an award for this project. Was originally going to sell off the 4 units, but only sold 2, 1 I kept for my own stay and another I rent it out to one policewoman.

Last 3 months also begun selling off everything I owned, cars (I'm a classic car collector), antiques, the bakery, all remaining real estate in Britain and anything that had value to it needed to go.... went were the 2 country-inns. Even our old family home sold together with the organic farm... needed to raise funds for a new business venture... found a distressed company and one that had some rather valuable patents and tooling in Switzerland. Was originally going to bring all the tooling and locate it somewhere in Wales, but that proved to be quite a disastrous plan... I asked the Welsh Government for a place and a small grant... they gave some ludicrous conditions for the award of a grant which was only 3% of the final amount required....which would have been fine as I could have found a way to raise more money, except I asked for a place in either north or south Wales, they came up with the idea of why not have one site in North Wales to manufacture all the components and truck everything to a site in South Wales to assemble it. I told them they can keep their grant and was about to give up... in the end I told the company I was going to pull out from the sale as I didn't have enough money to save it, had 50% of it in cash, 43% in loans and needed the last 7% for it... the head of that company asked me to ask the Canton in which the tooling were located in and also to speak to someone at the Federal government, a few calls, emails and meetings and it turned out I had enough money after all... 3 grants, 2 tax-holidays, 1 year free rent at one industrial park and turns out I don't even need 43% in loans, in the end the shortfall I had to make up in loans was only 8% saved a good part of it on the relocation cost and another good part of it was saved from the need to pay out redundancies and goodwill. On top of that, I also got offered 4 big contracts and 3 smaller ones from the 3 governments that took faith in this whole project... which essentially gives me lots of breathing space...... moral of the story : After the final contract was signed by the representatives of the governments involved, I told them if they had come earlier it would have spared me and all the staff that were about to lose their jobs much of the agony... the person who was representing the Canton where the main plant will be located at simply looked at me with her steely blue eyes and said "But you never asked either." (Imagine that being said in very sterile and formal German) LOL.

Which brings me to the next point when it comes to saving money or doing anything else....... always do it with both eyes and ears open. Just because something appears to be cheap does not mean it is value... think long term. Also your bank isn't in the business of helping you save money :biggrin:

How old are you and whats your net worth in GBP?
Original post by chefdave
Imo you've been very very lucky with your real estate deals, the property market was heading for an almightly crash at the tail end of 2007 yet it was propped up all over the west with bank bailouts and ludicrous zero interest rate policies. Despite the subsidies many "billionaire" real estate moguls have been caught out and gone into liquidiation because of their unrealistic business model (just buy real estate and hope that it continues to inflate)

tbh it sounds like you're a bit of a subsidy chaser yourself, especially with your latest gov't back business venture. I'm a bit jealous as I'd quite like to get my hands of some of that free money too!

My property investments has always somewhat followed a rather unusual model. I always buy on location and with a very good view... not unusual, but what I normally do is I always find the worst structure I could find usually something in very bad shape preferably listed... after that I have it fixed up and I rent them out short term, usually either as corporate rentals or to overseas visitors who are visiting Britain for a slightly longer term say 2-3 months or so. Every now and then I've let it out for an academic year to wealthier overseas students. In fact I never openly advertise any of my properties in Britain unless it's being sold.

As for subsidy chaser.... I'm not going to say no to "free money" :biggrin: But I can tell you it is far from free. They usually come with a long list of conditions, to get the grant from the Swiss Federal government one of the guarantees I had to give is all the products sold in Switzerland must cost less in Switzerland than it does anywhere else in the EU. Essentially it means instead of earning 18% margin as I would if I sell it to Austria or Germany, I only make 8% for local sales and if I provide it to any Federal Government project then it is only at 3% profit margin. Also they requested that at least 40% of all raw material must be sourced from Switzerland unless those from elsewhere are at least 30% less. Then comes the biggest condition, they want most if not all logistics to be by rail and river rather than by road.

From the Cantons, 1 said they wanted the administrative office and HQ to be in their Canton so they can get a slice of the tax from it.

The Canton and village where it will be made doesn't mind it that they won't get tax from it but they want guarantees that none of the initial 250 employees will lose their jobs for 3 years and for each of the next 5 years they want to see at least 50 new jobs being created of which 30 must be apprentices and I need to give preference to people who are from the village or from that Canton first. Oh yeah, it will be made in a village that has population of 2000, a train station with 4 trains per day, a row of 9 shops, of which 1 is empty and 1 school.

Wage subsidies, they actually have that program similar to that announced by George Osborne in the Autumn Statement here.... they pay for 6 months half of the wages. But to apply for it you must first promise that the jobs they will be doing is a real job and will be a permanent one, then you must show proof that after that 6 months you can afford to keep them and finally that you aren't getting rid of any existing workers to benefit from the subsidy...... very much different from that in Britain where after 6 months you can tell them to bugger off and nothing will happen.

Trust me, even though it is free money... it is actually nothing of that sort, they usually come with conditions that requires a lawyer to analyse what it is saying and usually for every bit they franc they say they are giving, they expect at least 3 back from the venture.... just not necessarily by me paying it back but somehow it must be to their benefit such as employment of people within the area so they could gain some taxes or save them on their benefit bills or more often than not during the time of election you will have those politicians in government coming by to claim that they created the jobs.

If you are after government subsidy monies, try the Welsh Assembly Government, they have some fairly good grants available and many of which are fairly easy to get if you are doing something small, but the moment it touches on a medium scale then they start being a bit funny as they will start asking you to hire more people... which isn't really wrong per say... but for my case they came up with crazy ideas that end of the day I would have struggled to remain in business.
if you're at university and have very few hours of teaching, consider a part-time job.

Also consider trying to get an interest free overdraft from a bank, take that money and bung it into an ISA account and at least make some interest out of that money...

I regret not having a part-time job at uni. I find that the busier you are, the more productive you are and there is then less time for procrastination. It also instills a work ethic into you and this isn't a bad thing at all. Providing your studies don't suffer as a result of also working in paid employment....

Also, review your different bank accounts, their interest rates, terms and conditions and see if you can do better elsewhere, e.g. compare the market.
Original post by Bill_Gates
How old are you and whats your net worth in GBP?

Am 33... networth........ heh I'm sure HMRC would love to know as well :biggrin:
Am 33... networth........ heh I'm sure HMRC would love to know as well :biggrin:

Wow 33! are you still a student?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Wow 33! are you still a student?

Yes :smile: I'm doing my MBA now.

What about yourself?
Yes :smile: I'm doing my MBA now.

What about yourself?

21 just on my placement
Reply 92
I'm in.

For the first time in my life I have positive cash flow, and I'm intent not to fritter it. Until a few weeks ago I was intent on saving it to buy a car for around £5k (I love driving, and sorely miss it since my first old banger died and I can't afford a new (or less old) car to replace it). But now I've realised that a car is a liability, and that although it would liberate my spatially, it would reduce my cashflow and constrain me financially.

Instead I've decided to save more and look into purchasing assets, the income from which can fund my liabilities. Seems to be the only sensible way to do it. Why buy liabilities when you can buy assets that will generate income to cover your liabilities, without any loss of net worth, and with an increase in potential cashflow? Although it's worth mentioning that I've had to turn down opportunities to generate income from my only current asset (my brain) because I don't have a car to transport myself to the place of business (tutoring!).

I haven't quite decided what assets I'll purchase, where I'll purchase them, or how much I'll need to have saved before I can purchase them, but I'm intent on doing it this way now. Who knows, maybe I'll start a simple business and plunge my free time into it.

Anyway, at the moment I'm a PhD student whose only income stream is a tax-free stipend of £1,132.5 pcm. My essential outgoings look like this pcm:

Rent : £350
Food : £133.33
Electricity : £50
Travel : £40
Mobile : £20
Mobile Insurance : £6
Phone/Internet : £4.16
--------------------------------
Total : £603.49

So, assuming I can keep my non-essential expenditure to a maximum of £100 pcm (I'm not a big clubber, drinker, eater-outer and don't have any expensive hobbies, in fact my largest non-essential expenditure is probably the odd book and getting a taxi when I sleep in or buying lunch when I forget to make up a packed lunch), then I should be able to net about £430 in savings each month.

I live with my girlfriend and those expenses above are based on me paying 66% of our bills and her paying the remaining 33%, because that's the ratio of our incomes (she's an undergraduate). However, she's kindly agreed to pay at 50% each until my savings have climbed me out of my overdraft, which as of tomorrow (pay day) will place me £1,100 in the red (due to a long, regrettable summer of unemployment before my PhD started in October). So my adjusted outgoings are £505.25, and hence my adjusted savings (assuming £100 of non-essential expenditure) are £627.25.

So, by February (perhaps March since xmas will also drain my funds slightly) I'll be out of my overdraft, which is fortunately interest-free, and all my savings from then onwards will be mine to keep and spend wisely, as I have no other debt apart from student debt, which has no associated cost of borrowing, so I won't be paying it off until I have to. I paid off my credit card with last month's savings, so February/March is D-day, where the D is for Debt-free!

On this basis things can only get better. And since my stipend is guaranteed for 3 years, my income can only go up, not down. I intend for it to go up as I start tutoring privately, and start getting teaching work at the University hopefully within the next year. In addition, of course, there's my plans to invest and maybe start a small 'spare-time' business to see if I can generate more income on top of all that. Hopefully in about 12 to 18 months I'll be bringing in at least 50% more than I do now. That's my goal.

Sorry for the in-depth analysis of my finances which I'm sure none of you will read or find remotely interesting, but its beneficial to me at least to have it laid out like that for the world to see.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
My property investments has always somewhat followed a rather unusual model. I always buy on location and with a very good view... not unusual, but what I normally do is I always find the worst structure I could find usually something in very bad shape preferably listed... after that I have it fixed up and I rent them out short term, usually either as corporate rentals or to overseas visitors who are visiting Britain for a slightly longer term say 2-3 months or so. Every now and then I've let it out for an academic year to wealthier overseas students. In fact I never openly advertise any of my properties in Britain unless it's being sold.

As for subsidy chaser.... I'm not going to say no to "free money" :biggrin: But I can tell you it is far from free. They usually come with a long list of conditions, to get the grant from the Swiss Federal government one of the guarantees I had to give is all the products sold in Switzerland must cost less in Switzerland than it does anywhere else in the EU. Essentially it means instead of earning 18% margin as I would if I sell it to Austria or Germany, I only make 8% for local sales and if I provide it to any Federal Government project then it is only at 3% profit margin. Also they requested that at least 40% of all raw material must be sourced from Switzerland unless those from elsewhere are at least 30% less. Then comes the biggest condition, they want most if not all logistics to be by rail and river rather than by road.

From the Cantons, 1 said they wanted the administrative office and HQ to be in their Canton so they can get a slice of the tax from it.

The Canton and village where it will be made doesn't mind it that they won't get tax from it but they want guarantees that none of the initial 250 employees will lose their jobs for 3 years and for each of the next 5 years they want to see at least 50 new jobs being created of which 30 must be apprentices and I need to give preference to people who are from the village or from that Canton first. Oh yeah, it will be made in a village that has population of 2000, a train station with 4 trains per day, a row of 9 shops, of which 1 is empty and 1 school.

Wage subsidies, they actually have that program similar to that announced by George Osborne in the Autumn Statement here.... they pay for 6 months half of the wages. But to apply for it you must first promise that the jobs they will be doing is a real job and will be a permanent one, then you must show proof that after that 6 months you can afford to keep them and finally that you aren't getting rid of any existing workers to benefit from the subsidy...... very much different from that in Britain where after 6 months you can tell them to bugger off and nothing will happen.

Trust me, even though it is free money... it is actually nothing of that sort, they usually come with conditions that requires a lawyer to analyse what it is saying and usually for every bit they franc they say they are giving, they expect at least 3 back from the venture.... just not necessarily by me paying it back but somehow it must be to their benefit such as employment of people within the area so they could gain some taxes or save them on their benefit bills or more often than not during the time of election you will have those politicians in government coming by to claim that they created the jobs.

If you are after government subsidy monies, try the Welsh Assembly Government, they have some fairly good grants available and many of which are fairly easy to get if you are doing something small, but the moment it touches on a medium scale then they start being a bit funny as they will start asking you to hire more people... which isn't really wrong per say... but for my case they came up with crazy ideas that end of the day I would have struggled to remain in business.

Thanks that was an interesting response, it sounds like they drive quite a hard bargain over in Switzerland. Much better than our useless UK governments!
Reply 94
Original post by white_haired_wizard
if you're at university and have very few hours of teaching, consider a part-time job.

Agreed. I never done this, and kind of wish I had. If I did I could be in a much better position than I am now financially. I would still have taken the student loan (since there was no cost of borrowing for me, although I realise things have changed now), and lived in much the same way as I did without the job, but the job would have allowed me to save and perhaps invest at a much earlier age. As it played out though, I realied heavily on my ever-increasing overdraft.

If you do this though, try not to view the extra income as money to burn. Be wise.

Also consider trying to get an interest free overdraft from a bank, take that money and bung it into an ISA account and at least make some interest out of that money...

Not a bad idea either. The only thing I would mention is that most ISAs with a decent interest rate have two relevant rules:

1) No withdrawals before the specified length of the account
2) Minimum initial balances

So if you have the money to open one of these you're going to have to be sure that you won't need the money at all for the duration of the account - and if you do break the deal, cancel the account, and withdraw your funds, you'll usually find that you lose all the interest you've accrued so far, PLUS a fee, so you actually lose money.

You're looking at minimum balances of around £2,000-3,000 for a decent interest rate, and reflecting on the overdraft I was allowed as a first year (a mere £500), I don't think I could have opened an account like that with it. Most overdrafts are advertised as something like "up to £3,500 interest free", but they are upped incrementally and you usually only qualify for one or two increases per year at a maximum of around £500. Mine went:

1st year: £500
2nd year: £1,000
3rd year: £1,500
3rd year again: £1,750
4th year: £2,250
After graduate: £2,500

So had I done it I'd have to have gone with something like a 2.4% Cash ISA, which would have earned my a total of £200 by the end of my degree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's an underinflation increase, so I'd technically have lost money on it, although £200 less lost than if I'd just have used it as an interest-free overdraft.

But if you can find another £2,500 initially to open the account with you can get closer to 4% which means you'd make closer to £1.4k if you had similar overdraft increases to what I got.

I regret not having a part-time job at uni. I find that the busier you are, the more productive you are and there is then less time for procrastination. It also instills a work ethic into you and this isn't a bad thing at all. Providing your studies don't suffer as a result of also working in paid employment....

I agree. I finished top of my year with a first class honours degree. I can't help but think I could still have done it with a job, or at the most, I'd have dropped a few places but still left with a first class degree.

Also, review your different bank accounts, their interest rates, terms and conditions and see if you can do better elsewhere, e.g. compare the market.

Fairly pointless affair for students though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chefdave
Thanks that was an interesting response, it sounds like they drive quite a hard bargain over in Switzerland. Much better than our useless UK governments!

There is a very big difference between the Swiss and British government.

1 genuinely cares for its people regardless of whether you are rich or poor.

Money wise, it actually has a culture of save first spend later and they are into the whole idea of sustainable spending. Therefore yes they will drive a hard-bargain, we had a bank-bailout as well.... that bank that received money was told they better not pay out any big bonuses and dividends better be nought... well the banks listened.... in fact the SNB (which is similar to the BoE) didn't like the chief at the bank, they told him where the door was. Somehow or rather I doubt even David Cameron would dare to do such a thing.

I won't say the British government is useless, in reality they have just as many programs as the Swiss do.... the main difference is they are either poorly administered or managed or like most things it either becomes a class or political issue. I really wish they could transform and reinvent themselves... but I think it will not be something that can be done overnight.
Reply 96
How do people manage to work two jobs+ study?

I know a friend who does it, but he's doing kind of illegal stuff at night which isn't an option to me. He also seems to have very lenient employers who let him off work for school.

Thus his schedule:
Uni 8-12, Work 12-5, other work 6/7-1/2am (around that).

My problem is sort of I don't have that regular hours of Uni so I could say I can work from 12 onwards, and I don't have a job for at night. I am trying to get one, though.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Nice one. How did you save up, just through working, yea?

Yeah a variety of ways really. I've had a part time job ever since I was 16 (currently 19) I always made sure I put a high percentage of my salary from that into my saving each month.

I've also done things on the side like buy things wholesale and sell them individually at school for a profit. I also used to buy festival tickets and then find a panicky buyer 2 or 3 days before the festival started and earn profit on the sale. Although that's a lot harder to do these days and I wouldn't advise anyone to get into this unless they know have experience and know where to find buyers.

I also spent some time doing PTC's but they were so long and tedious I cashed out after a year and gave up. So yeah just little things here and there and not buying extensively has lead to my pile up of savings :smile:

My current project is the on-line clothing store I've just started up ( as seen in my sig) Hoping to earn a fair amount of secondary income from that once I've worked on some advertising.

How about you? How have you saved up?
Reply 98
My ambition is to be worth about £19-20k by August 2012 and then start university in September.

I can save/invest about £1k a month. I have a small amount saved up in a Savings account which provides about 3.5% interest an annum I think. I have about £7k locked away if life fails. I have a few small online eBay businesses to provide me with a few extra £ to enjoy myself (clubbing, partying, alcohol, entertainment..etc). I further have about £1.25k invested in Zopa..see if I can make a small return from that? I mainly live my life through a interest-free overdraft. I tried investing in shares/stocks, I've lost about £6k through doing that eek, and I am trying to minimise that loss through other ventures.

Big ambitions, big plans...let's make it happen! I'm 19 btw :smile:
I was SO tempted to spend a stupid amount on some wellies and scarf gloves etc...but I resisted! Will just use old ones... the thought of having a safety blanket in the bank always puts me off spending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending