The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buggity
the two most powerful world leaders/most successful people in the world tried weed (Barack Obama and David Cameron).

In fact, the last 3 US Presidents have admitted to smoking weed.

Try again.

Please do not tell me that you think drugs lead to success.
Just to be almost the odd one out. I must be a rarity and I don't aspire to be a Tory politician or Pope.
I don't need to take them to enjoy life.
Reply 103
Original post by Integral
Please do not tell me that you think drugs lead to success.

are you retarded? I'm very clearly just refuting his post that implies not trying weed leads to success. Sporadic use of weed has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on success...that was my point.
I drink and I've smoked weed before but that's it. It was alright, nothing to write home about. I don't want to spend money on it, I don't want my parents finding out and I don't want to take other drugs because I don't see the point. That's it really
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
oh, right, is it important what they were designed for when people realise what sort of experience they can provide?
I'm not sure what LSD was originally being produced for, but it's psychoactive nature was discovered by accident. A chemist called Albert Hoffman accidentally ingested some he produced in his lab and subsequently tripped the **** out for 12 hours. I think he was originally messing around with some fungus.

Even aside from that, there are plenty of chemicals that aren't synthetic but are still illegal, eg. psilocybin from mushrooms, DMT from all sorts, mescaline from cactii. Infact, I'd rather see those freely available than any synthetic one.

No, Hoffman was reserching the use of lysergic acid in medicine ( to serve as a circulatory stimulant) He did first document hand experience the psychoactive properties of LSD ( in which he had a feeling of sheer dread and terror) and having recovered decided it would have use as a treatment of psychotics. ( which it was in the US a few years later)

I dont even subscribe to the point that because it is available in nature we should be consuming a substance. Alkaloids for example are chemicals that interfere with the brains response to neurotransmitters - there are snake and spider venoms (neurotoxins) that do similar things in nature - why dont drug users actively seek out these sources, they are cheaper to come by than lsd or cocaine and easier to find than psilocybin.
Original post by buggity
are you retarded? I'm very clearly just refuting his post that implies not trying weed leads to success. Sporadic use of weed has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on success...that was my point.

I thought so. I didn't want to trawl back pages. Calm down, dear.
Reply 107
Original post by Integral
I thought so. I didn't want to trawl back pages. Calm down, dear.

no u
Reply 108
I've never felt the need to try drugs tbh, don't see the point.
Reply 109
haha, here we go again, another middle-class teenager who's been smoking weed for a few months with his pals, and now he wants to convert us all.
Reply 110
Original post by Vikki1805
I don't need to try drugs. What for? To get a fake high from something that could potentially kill me? No thanks. :rolleyes:

WTF is a fake high?

Plenty of drugs out there with 0 potential to kill you.
Reply 111

Don't wanna end up like this tbh...
Remember this being plastered everywhere
Original post by blueray
Because you are not seeing it....you're "imagining" it....:sigh:

that is highly debateable actually. google terence mckenna, john c. lilly, see what they have to say on the subject.
Reply 113
I've had the opportunity, and will probably want to try weed just once some day, but as of yet I have never taken up the offer. I'm worried about the fact that I don't really know what I might be taking. I might be affected badly by the drugs and not have a good experience, I might have a good one and things could get out of hand. With alcohol it is very easy for me to control myself as I know my limits and have never felt out of control, but I have no idea what would happen if I took drugs.

Furthermore, the people I know who do take drugs/ who usually have them at parties aren't my closest friends, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying drugs for the first time with them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by ab12345

Don't wanna end up like this tbh...
Remember this being plastered everywhere

vintage anti drug propaganda.
Original post by Dalee
Reasons:
-Love being sober, dont find it boring... (dont mind being drunk either though, but your excluding alcohol)
-Dont have the expendable money... Got other things to buy, similarly why I dont drink really expensive wine or whiskey or eat really expensive chocolates... The indulgence isnt worth it in the end.
-Got things that I deem more important to be doing... Reading, studying, rugby, basketball......
-Other things I want to try...

Personally I think all drugs should be legal and its inhibiting peoples human rights to restrict them, especially since the most dangerous drug is legal (alcohol).

Kids break into parents drinking cabinet, have a sip of whisky, kids are fine.

Kids break into parents heroine cabinet, have an inject, kids aren't fine.
Pointless? Have you ever seen the effects of someone after having taken Ketamine? I've seen it do some nasty things to people. Put people in hospital etc.

Clearly the people you know who are doing it, have absolutely no respect whatsoever for drugs, do them with very little responsibility and have no idea what quantities they should be taking.

Ketamine is quite a safe drug, it has a few long term adverse affects, such as bladder damage, but in terms of short term effects, there aren't many that are dangerous. With a medium to light dose, literally the only risk is of you falling over (Due to lack of coordination) or hurting yourself without realising (to due the numbness), both of these can be solved by having a sitter to look after you. At high doses, where you go into a K-Hole, it is very, very easy to hurt yourself without realising, again, this can be solved with a sitter. I guess at high doses as well, you could have psychological trauma due to the intensity of the trip, but you'd have to really take *a lot*. So again, unless you think you're prepared for that, you'd have to be pretty idiotic to do it.

Ketamine also has a very high LD-50. Much, much higher than any standard dose. So the risk of overdose is pretty much non-existant. It's still used in both human and animal surgery as an anaesthesia. So yeah, you have to be pretty irresponsible with it to end up hurting yourself.
Original post by n00
WTF is a fake high?

Plenty of drugs out there with 0 potential to kill you.

But we're discussing ketamine.
I don't need to try drugs. What for? To get a fake high from something that could potentially kill me? No thanks. :rolleyes:

you don't know what you're missing out on, it can all be done safely and sensibly. If you die without having one single heavy psychedelic experience, you've missed on a massive part of what it is to be alive.
Original post by You Failed
Clearly the people you know who are doing it, have absolutely no respect whatsoever for drugs, do them with very little responsibility and have no idea what quantities they should be taking.

Ketamine is quite a safe drug, it has a few long term adverse affects, such as bladder damage, but in terms of short term effects, there aren't many that are dangerous. With a medium to light dose, literally the only risk is of you falling over (Due to lack of coordination) or hurting yourself without realising (to due the numbness), both of these can be solved by having a sitter to look after you. At high doses, where you go into a K-Hole, it is very, very easy to hurt yourself without realising, again, this can be solved with a sitter. I guess at high doses as well, you could have psychological trauma due to the intensity of the trip, but you'd have to really take *a lot*. So again, unless you think you're prepared for that, you'd have to be pretty idiotic to do it.

Ketamine also has a very high LD-50. Much, much higher than any standard dose. So the risk of overdose is pretty much non-existant. It's still used in both human and animal surgery as an anaesthesia. So yeah, you have to be pretty irresponsible with it to end up hurting yourself.

Well as I previously said, the thread asked why I haven't tried drugs, and I'm simply saying, the effects I have seen them cause on people has made me never want to try them. Although I never wanted to before that anyway, I have never seen a reason nor a purpose... :smile: It's my body and my choice.

Quick Reply

Latest