The Student Room Group

sick of everyone saying that as an uni student you have to eat **** food.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Students eating **** food is because of laziness not cost. It is cheaper to make a massive curry, soup or chilli, freeze it and heat it up for individual meals. Even pasta works out cheaper. It is things like Iceland food, ready meals etc which are a drain on your wallet. But you know, these people have only just moved away from home, some skills haven't been acquired yet.
Original post by JongKey
There's an (alright sized) market every wednesday in notts and if you go to any big asian store, vegetables and fruits will be really cheap, especially if you buy loads.

yeh all the vendors on the market are usually asian men, so I get always extra bits and bobs thrown in because I am a girl and they want to flirt or something, ha.
Reply 22
Original post by JongKey
There's an (alright sized) market every wednesday in notts and if you go to any big asian store, vegetables and fruits will be really cheap, especially if you buy loads.

interesting, where's the market? and i think there's an asian shop somewhere around here, a good 10 min walk though (which believe you me is way too far for groceries when there's a tesco express and lidl within a 5 min radius, and it's bloody freezing outside)
Original post by kerily
The only supermarket near me that doesn't require the Tube is Waitrose (really - if I wanted to go somewhere cheaper, it'd be a minimum of 30 minutes' walk for a supermarket half the size, and I am good without carrying shopping that far :tongue:) and I still manage to eat healthily and well on under £20 per week. :dontknow: Value ranges are where it's at :awesome:

i quite like waitrose. I think the best way to save money is by simply buying all of your fruit/veg on markets or asian stores, because you get so much more and its so much cheaper. At the market I get 1kg of tomatoes for a pound while at morissons about 5 small tomatoes cost me a pound.
Original post by theths
interesting, where's the market? and i think there's an asian shop somewhere around here, a good 10 min walk though (which believe you me is way too far for groceries when there's a tesco express and lidl within a 5 min radius, and it's bloody freezing outside)

don't go to tesco express, they charge ridiculous prices.
Original post by The Cornerstone
I think I'll stick with my fast food for the year instead of cleaning mould and somebody else's mess every five minutes :colonhash:

ask them to clean their own mess? I don't know where you live, but I have flat mates that are messy as hell, but they still clean when I ask them to because it just gets too gross.
Reply 26
Original post by theths

Actually now that i think about it, it's a pretty small market, but vegetables and fruits are really cheap - it's near radford but it'll probably be a good trek from nottingham uni. If you're going near any asian shops then you could try and buy fruit and veg for the week or something? But yeah it's getting too cold i guess so you'll have to stick with slightly more expensive options but the shorter distance is probably woth it :tongue:
Reply 27
Apart from going to McDonalds all too often, I do eat quite well. I'll buy steak (you can get 2 medallion steaks for £4 at Tesco which will work for two meals and I've worked out that's the cheapest way to get a really good steak), or chicken breast for £2.50 (again, can work for 2 meals). Bag of salad that's about £1 - last 3-4 days. Onions, potatoes anything like that - weeks worth for £1! Add some peppers, chillies and so on. The most expensive thing I buy would be cheese for about £3.50 every few weeks.
Reply 28
Original post by aspiringwhatever
don't go to tesco express, they charge ridiculous prices.

yeah, i tend to use it primarily for frozen/ready meals (which i now eat far less of now that i've got my cooking mojo back)
it's ridiculous how much money you realise you can save on essentials like fruit and juice when you step back and compare tesco prices with lidl's
i have found that actual branded food (like walkers or cadbury's or whatever) tends to cost more in lidl's than in tesco's though, lidl's is at its best when you focus on all the obscure european-brand stuff
Original post by aspiringwhatever
ask them to clean their own mess? I don't know where you live, but I have flat mates that are messy as hell, but they still clean when I ask them to because it just gets too gross.

Last time we had an issue like that it turned into some massive 'block meeting' with arguments, but I can't argue with that I guess.
Reply 30
Original post by JongKey
Actually now that i think about it, it's a pretty small market, but vegetables and fruits are really cheap - it's near radford but it'll probably be a good trek from nottingham uni. If you're going near any asian shops then you could try and buy fruit and veg for the week or something? But yeah it's getting too cold i guess so you'll have to stick with slightly more expensive options but the shorter distance is probably woth it :tongue:

google mapped that son of a gun, i live in lenton so that is sadly not viable
i will consider your fruit and veg for the week proposal, once i've got myself more fridge space (i.e. once my flatmate works her way through her 6 chocolate mousses and leftover pasta which are occupying the rest of the shelf)
Reply 31
It's due to people being too lazy or too thick to cook their own meals, so they resort to buying processed ready meals. Some of my housemates even screw up cooking ready meals, they'd probably decapitate themselves if I handed them my chef's knife and told them to dice an onion.
(edited 12 years ago)
what about making your own food?
Original post by Kiirk
I'm doing my shopping at Waitrose for about £30 a week. It's more does to what you can be bothered to cook, rather than what you can afford sometimes.

Essential beans + lots of cheese is where it's at.

omg what do you buy to spend that much? i am really not on a tight budget, but no matter what I feel like eating I would never be able to spend that much because I wouldn't eat half of it.
I am only willing to buy free range meat which tends to be pretty damn expensive (a pack of 2 free range chicken breasts from tesco usually costs me about £6.50) so that makes it more expensive for me. Also there is only a farmers market held about once a month where I live, and it is all really expensive premium foods (no cheap veg) so I need to buy everything at supermarket prices. I could get by on £15 a week if I really tried and was creative, but I'd have to be pretty much vegetarian.
You're very lucky if this is the most annoying thing that people do around you. Just ignore them.
It's true. My housemates and I also do a food shop together, because there's only three of us, and so we get things in bulk which also works out cheaper. We spend about £20 per week each, and that includes treats that we could probably do without if we had to, and snobbish things like Gold Blend coffee.
My fiancé and I ate very well at uni. Home cooked meals most nights and good variety. None of this 7p noodles and curry sauce rubbish. We'd probably spend about £20-30 a week on food between us, which isn't bad given we were always catering for two (or more!). That budget includes treats like cans of Relentless and ice 'cream'.
I'm struggling with food atm I have ate so much junk food in the past 2 and a half months more than I have done for probably the entire year, I need to sort it out it's a shame all my uni friends all like to go chip chop or McD :frown: now my body is suffering.
Reply 39
It does depend on what shops are near you, though. I have Tesco, Iceland, Home Bargains, Heron and Farm Foods near me, and all of those (except Tesco) sell pretty much only cheap, ready-made junk food. Tesco sells 'decent' stuff, but is ridiculously expensive. Who's going to buy 3 apples for the same price as 24 waffles? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending