The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard from Canterbury Christ church yet?
Reply 161
Original post by kaaattte
I am 18, leaving college in approx 2 months. Luckily for me I HAVE experienced a week shadowing a social worker which was enlightening .. this has only spurred me on in my ambition to be one. I have obviously not run a mile and will be taking my place in September.

Congratulations. The results speak for themselves! Davies should forget about being a Social Worker and go for a place on the interview panel, she/ he seems to know so much about Social Work already despite only being an applicant like the rest of us. By the time we are her age, we will hopefully have many years of Social Work experience behind us.
I'm almost a third year in BA SW at Hull - if there are any applicants who wish to talk about the course and what it entails, then get in touch :smile: - actually, I seldom use this website, add me to FB - www.facebook.com/e270909 :smile: Robbie
Reply 163
Original post by kaaattte
I am 18, leaving college in approx 2 months. Luckily for me I HAVE experienced a week shadowing a social worker which was enlightening .. this has only spurred me on in my ambition to be one. I have obviously not run a mile and will be taking my place in September.

Good for you for getting off your backside and actually getting some quality experience behind you!
Good luck with your degree.
Reply 164
Original post by Neards
Congratulations. The results speak for themselves! Davies should forget about being a Social Worker and go for a place on the interview panel, she/ he seems to know so much about Social Work already despite only being an applicant like the rest of us. By the time we are her age, we will hopefully have many years of Social Work experience behind us.

I'm currently an Assistant Social Worker, who has practiced with a lot of students and newly qualified Social Workers who, before their degree, did not have a clue about ‘the real Social Work role' and cannot take the pressure. This is why I'm so passionate about MY FEELINGS towards gaining 'useful' experience.
Like I said, you will be able to relate with me one day when your Team Manager in the local government, courtesy of your mother’s input of course :wink: x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 165
Original post by LPK
I got an offer for MA Social Work at LJMU. :biggrin:

I'm absolutely chuffed! :biggrin:

Congrats :bigsmile: xx
People are aware that social workers need to be non-judgemental, right?

Social work is a difficult career, some 18-year-olds are prepared for that, some 40-year-olds aren't, there are a lot of factors involved. When I was training there was more than one student over 40, who had worked in social care their entire lives, who were very unprofessional/judgemental/uninterested/unempathic, and younger students that were the complete opposite.

Working with social workers isn't the same as being a social worker, so maybe everyone should wait until they have actually experienced social work itself, as a student or a qualified social worker, before judging others.
Completely agree with purple Rose, well said!
Reply 168
Absolutely! Well said!
Reply 169
No-one should judge others because everyone of us have our own faults and it's only by your own experience in making mistakes you learn from them. I say, 'Good Luck' to all that have achieved a place, you have done it on your own merit regardless of the age factor. I am currently on an Access Course and many students are at least 10-15 years younger than me and I get along with the majority and I never judge them or am I discriminate, if anything I help them with anything they need to know that they're unsure about, baring in mind my daughter is not much younger than them, I personally wouldn't like anyone treating my daughter with disrespect because of her age. Good Luck everyone, you should be proud of yourselves :happy2: xxxx
Reply 170
Hi, anyone had an interview at Birmingham City?
I had an interview 14th March and haven't heard back yet. Don't know whether thats a good or bad thing. Trying to be positive:smile:
I'm getting so impatient we were told we will find by end of march, if we don't by Friday we going to have to wait till Easter holiday is over! :-( cccu is my only uni I've applied for! I walked out interview feeling positive but now I feel like it went terrible and could of gone better! If I don't get in that's fine it's the not knowing that's horrible!
I have my place confirmed for Plymouth Uni to study social work in September, anyone going there too? Would be great to have some friends before I start the course. :smile:
Reply 173
Has anyone had a decline for any sw courses in NI yet?
Original post by Anks_Suffolk
Hi there,

Thanks so much for this post! I have an interview for
Anglian Ruskin on the 15 Feb so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Do you remember what the written test questions were? Also what they asked you in the interview?

Any other hints and tips would be super too. I would like to get a place that is local for me and Anglia Ruskin is.

Thanks so much in advance :smile: !

I'm also hoping to get an interview for UEA. Has anyone had an interview there yet?

Hi, So sorry this is very late, work has been crazy and I just wasnt getting the time to get on here.

I see your date was Feb, how did it go? Did you get a very annoying girl 'babysitting' you all lol??

Anything from anywhere else?
Any Bedfordshire folk yet? or is it just going to be me lol

Good luck to all going to interviews and those waiting to hear back.
Reply 176
Hello, i am so happy to come across this website and find so many others in the same boat as myself :smile: I am also hoping to complete the Social Work degree. Has anyone else had an interview at UWE? Have you been told if your interview was successful or unsuccessful?

I have been waiting over a month to hear back! I am also slightly worried as i have noticed another member mention that if we did not hear back by the end of March, we will have to wait until the Easter break is over :frown:

Going slightly crazy with the not knowing!!

Massive congratulations to everyone who has been offered places too!!:happy2: x
Reply 177
Well just got off the phone to admissions @ UWE and have found out that offers and rejections will still be occurring over the Easter break as staff are still working!! So i will constantly be checking and just when i thought i may be put out of the stress of it for 2 weeks, but i would rather know xx Just hope its sooner rather that later now! :smile:
Reply 178
Just had an offer from Coventry.....I can't believe it, the interview was less than a week ago and I didn't feel like it had gone particularly well!!
Got an offer for Canterbury which was my only choice so I'm thrilled :-)

Quick Reply

Latest