The Student Room Group

Norwegian TERRORIST "shouldn't be tried"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Elipsis

2) I was already aware of this. But why let this issue ever rear it's head ever again? Giving him yet another opportunity to get on the soap box.

The reviewing process isn't public; I don't think it really gives him an opportunity to get on the soap box.

Original post by Elipsis
He should never ever get out of prison, and it is a glaring problem with the Norweigen legal system that he cannot be locked up in solitary until his last breath without re-sentencing.

I see no problem with this. If a criminal remains a threat they stay in prison, if not they are left out.

Original post by Elipsis
3) I do not know what the situation with prisons in Norway is with regard to solitary confinement, but I doubt that such a liberal country would put him in solitary for the rest of his life. We are talking about the most hated man in Norway here, not just your run of the mill pedo or murderer.

If he's a danger, he will be kept seperate from the prison population. It would be crazy to allow him to be in general population.
Reply 41
Original post by B-Man.
:curious: Why?

There are a lot of scandal stories that come out of places like that
Reply 42
Original post by ak137
He should spend his time in Gitmo Bay.
Oh sorry, is that reserved for muslims only?

Guantanamo is an American prison. Why would Norway send a Norwegian who committed a crime on Norwegian soil to an American prison? Gitmo isn't an international prison for terrorists.

And besides what does it matter which cell he rots in for the rest of his life?
Reply 43
Original post by ak137
He should spend his time in Gitmo Bay.
Oh sorry, is that reserved for muslims only?

Yes, it is.
Reply 44
Original post by PendulumBoB
Wait what?

"He can be released if he is later deemed to be "cured and well"."

Yeah, like that'll ever happen.
Reply 45
Original post by hamijack
Guantanamo is an American prison. Why would Norway send a Norwegian who committed a crime on Norwegian soil to an American prison? Gitmo isn't an international prison for terrorists.

Why are there (or were) british citizens in Gitmo?
Original post by tufc
Yes, it is.

Well at least your honest, islamphobe.
Reply 46
Original post by ak137
Why are there (or were) british citizens in Gitmo?

Because they were suspected of planning attacks on American soil and we have stupid rendition treaties with America that are completely biased towards America.
Reply 47
Original post by ak137
Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik shouldnt be punished - Official report.
Article in spoiler

Cant help but think that if he was a muslim and had a name of Muhammad Bin Hanif Bin Ghafaar or something, he would've been on the next plane to Guantanamo Bay, without a trial & tortured for treason!

Maybe in the USA, but not with the socialdemocratic government in Norway. Look at terrorist Mulla Krekar for example.

Its really annoying how he's been enjoying the attention he has received, as he regards himself as a knights templar in war with our socialdemocratic government and Islam, and that he sees all PR as good PR. So I must admit it makes me a little bit glad that he is so offended by this, as he believes he is a highly intelligent person and sees this as an offence.
Reply 48
Original post by abc:)
There are a lot of scandal stories that come out of places like that

They are no where near as frequent as the scandal stories that come out of places like ... prisons.
Reply 49

Life in a Psychiatric hospital isn't really rotting. It also increases the likelihood of him being released.
Reply 50
Original post by B-Man.
Life in a Psychiatric hospital isn't really rotting. It also increases the likelihood of him being released.

But they're never actually going to release him. There's no political way any future government could justify releasing him to the public.
Reply 51
Original post by TM94
What is the point of this animal being alive?

He will never be rehabilitated.
Should just hang him and be done with it.

This sort of mental condition is very complicated. To make that comment I would assume you had spent several years studying this sort of mental illness and probably have some articles published in peer reviewed jornals?
If Norway chooses to rehabilitate this man instead of just throwing him in prison for the rest of his life then I take my hat off to them. No question, what Breivik did was evil but simply throwing away the key wouldn't solve the underlying problems, not in his head or in Norwegian society.
Reply 53
But they're never actually going to release him. There's no political way any future government could justify releasing him to the public.

The Lockerbie bomber was released. These things can happen, as unlikely as it is, being detained in a Psychiatric hospital still increases the chance of Brevik being released. Prisons are a place where punishment is enforced - this is not what a psychiatric hospital is for, so he would/should be treated much better in one.
Reply 54
If he doesn't get better, he does life. If he gets better, he can be released without any risk to others and also saving a lot of money. Whats the problem?
I don't care to be honest, as long as he isn't at large (which, of course, he won't be). Norway has a much better penal policy than do we, and it doesn't look like Ken Clarke has much chance of moving it a little in the right direction either.
Reply 56
Original post by james22
If he doesn't get better, he does life. If he gets better, he can be released without any risk to others and also saving a lot of money. Whats the problem?

That's not how it works ... if a criminal is mentally ill when the crime was committed he is exonerated; he doesn't have to serve his sentence once cured.
Reply 57
Original post by B-Man.
They are no where near as frequent as the scandal stories that come out of places like ... prisons.

I dunno, if you say so. I think the nature of them is different. I've never lived in either though so..
Reply 58
Original post by B-Man.
That's not how it works ... if a criminal is mentally ill when the crime was committed he is exonerated; he doesn't have to serve his sentence once cured.

Isn't that what I said?
Reply 59
oh, look. politicially correct justice comes back to haunt the politicially correct.

how dare you hypocrites complain now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending