The Student Room Group

Really scared!

My aunty called me earlier about a completely unrelated matter, but went on to tell me that my grandpa has a chest infection and is going in to a care home for a few days respite cos my grandma can't cope looking after him. Now this may not seem very worrying to most but my grandpa is very old and very frail and to be perfectly honest last someone said chest infection, care home and respite in the same sentence someone very close to me died less than 24 hours later. I can't cope with a third death this year. Men are falling around me like flies. I'm just so scared, I really want him to be ok, but there isn't one person in our family who didn't think the loss of two sons within 8 days wouldn't finish him off. Please give me some kind words and reassurance.
Original post by hippieglitter
My aunty called me earlier about a completely unrelated matter, but went on to tell me that my grandpa has a chest infection and is going in to a care home for a few days respite cos my grandma can't cope looking after him. Now this may not seem very worrying to most but my grandpa is very old and very frail and to be perfectly honest last someone said chest infection, care home and respite in the same sentence someone very close to me died less than 24 hours later. I can't cope with a third death this year. Men are falling around me like flies. I'm just so scared, I really want him to be ok, but there isn't one person in our family who didn't think the loss of two sons within 8 days wouldn't finish him off. Please give me some kind words and reassurance.

:console: i am so sorry for your loss... be there for your grandfather all the time. visit him in the care home. be with him as often as you can.
i work at a care home and i can tell you that what old people need the most in such difficult situations, is having there family around them...and show that they are always there and love them...:smile:
Original post by donotpanic:P
:console: i am so sorry for your loss... be there for your grandfather all the time. visit him in the care home. be with him as often as you can.
i work at a care home and i can tell you that what old people need the most in such difficult situations, is having there family around them...and show that they are always there and love them...:smile:

Absolutely this! Even just a phone call brightens up an older persons day :smile:
Honey, I know how you feel... :console:

Unfortuneately, I've lost all of my grandparents now, and I haven't even reached 20.... What I wouldn't give to have them back now! My Great Aunt is now poorly again with cancer, and she's the last of the wonderful old folks of that generation.... My families changed so much in just a few years, and after loosing my grandad about a year ago now, I don't feel ready for another loss.... But I suppose I will have to trust god in his actions here....

My grandad was in a nursing home for his last year or so and we used to visit him at least a few times a week... And, although he struggled in handing over his independence, it was clear he was in the best place for his needs! You need to stick together as a family and pass around all the support and love you have for one another, and at the end of the day you will all be able to work though the next few months/ years, whatever the outcome :smile:

Oh, and we used collect wine to take for him to enjoy in his room..... Sometimes I think he had a better time than us, bless him.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure I can visit him, he is in Coventry and I am in Wales, I don't know how long he is going to be in there for. My bf is away for 8 weeks so can't take me there and I really can't afford the train, I did call my grandma but she has lost her voice so couldn't talk. I am moving to Coventry at the end of January so hopefully he will hang on long enough for that.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending