The Student Room Group

NATO Supply Not Suspended, Stopped Permanently

Pakistan has permanently stopped passage of NATO supply through the country following an airstrike that left 25 soldiers dead, said Interior Minister Rehman Malik.

Rehman Malik on Sunday said that the supply of NATO through Pakistan has not been suspended, rather it has been stopped permanently.

As many as 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed and 15 were injured after NATO helicopters from Afghanistan attacked a border checkpost in Mohmand tribal region near the Afghan border early Saturday, leading to Islamabad lodging a strong protest with Washington.

Talking to reporters here, Rehman Malik strongly condemned the NATO attack on Pakistani forces.

"NATO force should respect feelings of Pakistani nation," Associated Press of Pakistan quoted Rehman Malik as saying.

He said the country was aggrieved at the soldiers' death in the wake of NATO attack on Salala post in Mohmand Agency.

The minister said that NATO containers which have been stopped would not be allowed to cross the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

Source

In addition, Pakistan is to boycott a global conference on Afghanistan in Bon, amid mass protests of Pakistanis demanding that US-Pakistani ties be cut. Also Russia and China have said that violation of Pakistan's sovereignty and territorial integrity was unacceptable.

Thoughts? Is the breakdown of ties between the two nations good?, bad? What would a permanent halt to 50% of NATO's supplies mean for their operations in Afghanistan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't really blame them. All too often are the wrong side targeted by trigger happy pilots. Unsure why they use the term NATO when they were American aircraft. I know America is in NATO, but America should be held ultimately responsible.
Good on the Pakistani. I honestly hope its true. Unjustified foreign interference in Pakistan has gone on way too long. I hope they are severed permanently.
The fact is that the USA knows the importance of Pakistan in terms of supplies and transport so I think that it was a genuine error on this occasion. I agree with some people that the USA has a long history of targetting the wrong people, but the USA and Afghan forces would not call in an airstrike out of pure boredom. My theory is that insurgents may have ambushed the forces and then retreated back into Pakistan, the airstike simply targetted where they believed the insurgents retreated back to, and on this occasion it happened to be two Pakistani army posts. We also have to remember that Pakistan is on the rather cosy side towards insurgents.
Reply 4
It was a mistake.

It is laughable that the Pakistani's are getting so high and mighty about the situation when the ISI has helped to kill many more coalition and Afghan soldiers.
Reply 5
Original post by Scarface-Don
The fact is that the USA knows the importance of Pakistan in terms of supplies and transport so I think that it was a genuine error on this occasion. I agree with some people that the USA has a long history of targetting the wrong people, but the USA and Afghan forces would not call in an airstrike out of pure boredom. My theory is that insurgents may have ambushed the forces and then retreated back into Pakistan, the airstike simply targetted where they believed the insurgents retreated back to, and on this occasion it happened to be two Pakistani army posts. We also have to remember that Pakistan is on the rather cosy side towards insurgents.

Nato were aware of Pakistan's border check posts in the area and to fire on them still and murder 24 of it's soldiers is unacceptable. Not to mention that the base is in Pakistani territory where US soldiers have no business operating in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Anyway if this is how Pakistan feels then the US should pull all money and aid out of Pakistan. Shortly followed by a quick withdrawal from Afghanistan.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
They had every right to operate there provided the Pakistani government let them. Your trying to tell me they should't be there if the host country allows their presence?

Source for this claim?

Original post by Aj12
Anyway if this is how Pakistan feels then the US should pull all money and aid out of Pakistan.

Hopefully.

Original post by Aj12
Shortly followed by a quick withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Massive waste of 10 years.
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
They had every right to operate there provided the Pakistani government let them. Your trying to tell me they should't be there if the host country allows their presence?

Anyway if this is how Pakistan feels then the US should pull all money and aid out of Pakistan. Shortly followed by a quick withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Pakistan didn't let them in. The US ****ed up.
Reply 9
This is what happens when you stop foreign aid reaching corrupt regimes.

The regimes starts to stick up for its people, not its masters!

Original post by B-Man.
Hopefully.

Original post by Aj12

Foreign aid to Pakistan was stopped in July i believe (or at least was halted). Please correct me if i am wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Aj12
Your telling me the US is managing to operate bases on Pakistani soil without their knowledge?

They initially weren't in Pakistan but in the afghan border.
Reply 11
Original post by Aj12
Your telling me the US is managing to operate bases on Pakistani soil without their knowledge?

:confused: Pakistan does not allow foreign troops to operate within the country.

The Shamsi air base for drones and use of the Shahbaz Air Base is not the same as having boots on the ground.
Reply 12
Original post by B-Man.
:confused: Pakistan does not allow foreign troops to operate within the country.

The Shamsi air base for drones and use of the Shahbaz Air Base is not the same as having boots on the ground.

Yeah I completely missed what you were trying to say. Sorry :colondollar:
Reply 13
Right now America needs Pakistan as an alie otherwise as bman said its 10 years down the drain. The last NATO troops will be leaving Afghanistan in 2014.
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
Yeah I completely missed what you were trying to say. Sorry :colondollar:

Fair enough, I want to go back to your other point though. Do you think that the US have to withdraw now, if relations aren't restored? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought you supported the war in Afghanistan, early withdrawal will probably lead to the revival of the Taliban. Is that something that you think the US and NATO have to accept in the potential scenario of Pak living up to it's promise?

Original post by ak137

Foreign aid to Pakistan was stopped in July i believe (or at least was halted). Please correct me if i am wrong.

It was not stopped, it was cut, by £500m I believe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by B-Man.
Fair enough, I want to go back to your other point though. Do you think that the US have to withdraw now, if relations aren't restored? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought you supported the war in Afghanistan, early withdrawal will probably lead to the revival of the Taliban. Is that something that you think the US and NATO have to accept in the potential scenario of Pak living up to it's promise?

It was not stopped, it was cut, by £500m I believe.

I believe the Taliban wont revive. The idea will live on but more terrorists are being bred with us being there than if we left.

Oh right :colondollar:
(check your visitor message too :hmmm: :tongue:)
Reply 16
Original post by ak137
I believe the Taliban wont revive. The idea will live on but more terrorists are being bred with us being there than if we left.

Interesting. Is there a source for that?
But what would happen if US-Pakistani relations deteriorate even further and the USA cuts all of its aid to Pakistan? Surely Pakistan itself would become more vulnerable to attacks by the Pakistani Taliban and other extremist groups?
Reply 18
Original post by ak137
I believe the Taliban wont revive.

Why not? The Taliban are far from defeated and have showed throughout the past months of this year that they are capable of conducting well organised and deadly attacks.

Original post by ak137
but more terrorists are being bred with us being there than if we left.

I agree with that.

Original post by ak137

My visitor page isn't loading right now, I'll check it later.
Good. Evidence has also emerged that the attack was deliberate and not stopped despite repeated efforts made by Pakistan to communicate the "mistake" to NATO. Close the US airbases in the country, suspend diplomatic ties and see how long they can pursue their objectives in Afghanistan without Pakistani help (i.e. not very long).

http://tribune.com.pk/story/299849/unprovoked-dgmo-gives-details-of-aerial-assault/
http://tribune.com.pk/story/299506/nato-isaf-carried-out-attack-on-purpose-pakistan-army/

Many other sources are available if some idiot repute the provenance of this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending