The Student Room Group

I want to study!

Hi everyone, I could really do with some advice. I'm 37,I've been a teaching assistant for 8 years, left school with 4 GCSE' c passes ( i didn't really try), and I'm now seriously thinking about studying for a degree with a view to becoming a primary school teacher. I'm unsure about how I'll be able to cope without my wage (£700 monthly) and whether funding/loans will help cover the shortfall. I have a husband who is earning but not really enough to cover my wage loss, I also have two children.
What would be the best/quickest route for me? Is distance learning an option? I tried next step careers advice but didn't really get anywhere.
And would a university want to even take me?
Sorry to ask so many questions :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I think the best bet is to decide on what degree you'll want to study and go from there. I'm not sure how becoming a teacher works, will you have to do a degree then a post grad course or is there a teaching degree that gets you straight there? Find the degree you'd want to do and then email or phone a couple of universities and ask them.

It seems that a lot of universities want to see recent study at level 3. Depending on the course this could be A'levels, open university credits, access course or maybe even something you've done through work (NVQ/BTech). I'm guessing that to be a teacher there would be a minimum GCSE requirement too, you'll probably need at least English and Maths at C grade plus 3 others.

There isn't much funding for level 3 courses but GCSEs/A'levels can sometimes be taken at evening classes, open university is done in your own time. My access course takes place in the daytime, would your school be supportive? But like I said, speak to the universities first because you don't want to fork out money and time to find that what you are doing won't be accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending