Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anybody not have Facebook or has left Facebook recently?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bff)
    I'm investigating a new trend into people leaving Facebook for good.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't have Facebook? Or has left it recently?

What reasons would you leave/did you leave?
    I left facebook last year and never deactivated since. I left it so i could revise for exams without getting distracted by it and for the time that i didn't have it, I did better at college and my relationship with my boyfriend improved (no arguments etc) and I was much more happier and social so i left it for good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo00oo)
    Hmm. In my personal opinion, if you announce that you're leaving Facebook, and give these people your E-mail address or Skype account or some other alternative, and after you leave they make no effort whatsoever to contact you, then it's probably the case that they're not as important in your life as you may think, and you're certainly of no importance to them.

If people refuse to communicate with you apart from through Facebook, where you aren't an individual to them, but some component of a collective, then these people aren't your friends and aren't worth having in your life.

I understand that if they're in another country, then the face-to-face alternative isn't a possibility. But still, Facebook deindividualates (great word) in a way that E-mail doesn't, and if somebody only communicates with you through Facebook, they're really not interested in you as an individual.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
    I completely agree with this. If you have facebook it's easy for people to keep in touch but when i left facebook only a few people kept intouch and i found out who my true friends were that made an effort etc. The others were just fake stalkers. Facebook is now just a place for people to stalk eachother etc. That's just my opinion though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo00oo)
    Hmm. In my personal opinion, if you announce that you're leaving Facebook, and give these people your E-mail address or Skype account or some other alternative, and after you leave they make no effort whatsoever to contact you, then it's probably the case that they're not as important in your life as you may think, and you're certainly of no importance to them.

If people refuse to communicate with you apart from through Facebook, where you aren't an individual to them, but some component of a collective, then these people aren't your friends and aren't worth having in your life.

I understand that if they're in another country, then the face-to-face alternative isn't a possibility. But still, Facebook deindividualates (great word) in a way that E-mail doesn't, and if somebody only communicates with you through Facebook, they're really not interested in you as an individual.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
    yeah you are right and i know who of my friends would be able to stay in contact via email (i already made the expirience of loosing contact with people who i thought were my best friends when i moved to another country, so i am able to sort out who will be there for me and who will not)...but still..facebook seems to be so much faster than email...('cause of the chat and stuff like that) and the possibility of seeing the pictures of my friends and what is going on in their lifes while i am not there is much better then staying in contact via email. i don't like facebook, but i like my friends there...and the other problem is that here in norway...absolutly everybody has facebook and they use it to pass around information for classes and what's going on in the city and general discussions for some classes. even the teacher use it as a methode of teaching!....so that keeps me there as well...
    and the updates of my favorite bands and actors is great as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to leave fb. It's the easiest way hands down to keep in contact with people, see what your friends are up to and arrange things with new people. Especially when you don't want loads of peoples numbers and have to text etc. Also pretty much every society at my uni has a fb page as a way of broadcasting pictures, arranging lifts to events etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    I am seriously considering deleting it.

I considered deleting it before I came to uni, or at least deleting a load of people from it, but I contented myself with a mass clear up of my friends list and kept the facebook so I could talk to my friends from school. But now at uni, there seems to be one or two people that are constantly seeking attention on it and causing drama and the constant negativity and arguments bring me down.
    Ooh, I'm slightly intrigued ... who are you referring to?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I write I hate facebook and have left it and gone cold turkey will you guys rep me plz?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Girls rarely hand out numbers nowadays...

''add my facebook'' *gets mobile phone out*

*enter i-phone facebook app*

Add.

Then stalk competition on their walls and private message them. I wish we lived in a more conservative socially interactive universe.....but not too conservative, just calling or meeting instead of getting fat sitting on facebook (not that I'm fat, I'm fabulous)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay seriously, all of you without a Facebook.. where are you hiding?

I for one have never had Facebook but whenever somebody asks and I have to explain to them that I don't have one, their response is usually something along the lines of, "What? Really?" or, "Why not?". It's also not uncommon for some people to say, "I can't believe you don't have Facebook" and appear utterly bewildered.

Everyone I know seems to have one. Everyone.

No one else gets this?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never had facebook and I can't see myself ever getting it. Don't really see the point in it unless you travel a lot and use it to talk to people you can't see in real life. I know people that have hundreds of friends on it yet have only met about five of them. Pointless.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bff)
    I'm investigating a new trend into people leaving Facebook for good.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't have Facebook? Or has left it recently?

What reasons would you leave/did you leave?
    I know this thread is full of people "against" the use of Facebook. And yes, the argument of facebook being a place for attention seekers is quite right, but neither you cannot deny that in a society where we are prone to remain interconnected in more complex ways for longer periods of time each time, Facebook is just another step in that infinite way towards greater interconnection.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackorious1)
    Girls rarely hand out numbers nowadays...

''add my facebook'' *gets mobile phone out*

*enter i-phone facebook app*

Add.

Then stalk competition on their walls and private message them. I wish we lived in a more conservative socially interactive universe.....but not too conservative, just calling or meeting instead of getting fat sitting on facebook (not that I'm fat, I'm fabulous)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont have facebook
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't logged on for about a month now.

Just stopped using it as it got really boring and pointless. Plus half the people on my friends list weren't friends anyway.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use it to find out about events that I would otherwise never know about. I don't much care about the social networking aspect of it, it's just gets me the kind of advertising I want.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x[Aa$iyah]x)
    I don't have facebook, dont plan on getting facebook either

reason? theres too many bitchy people on facebook who cant come to your face and say them

p.s i have a life outside of sitting in front of the computer
    lol omg i agree...soo many ppl on fb r just keyboard warriors. XD its like say it 2 my face not online!!!!!! haha

so glad sum ppl actualy have a life that isnt just INTERNET :P losers
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lelkins2010)
    Ooh, I'm slightly intrigued ... who are you referring to?
    Haha, the main people in question at the moment are two girls from my course. They do the most outstandingly bitchy things, and for no apparent reason.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got rid of it in September (The day before we went back to school.) It literally was for attention seeking idiots. If someone wants to invite me to an event, they can text me, or better, tell me in person. They can text me if they want to ask me something, call me, email me, tweet me, ask me person.

What I hate though, is that people still upload pictures of me at parties, and obv I can't see them, and some are horrific. I.e. showering with other people (clothed)... LOL. Damm.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    lol omg i agree...soo many ppl on fb r just keyboard warriors. XD its like say it 2 my face not online!!!!!! haha

Says you who has 3,800 posts :P LOL x
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)

you are soooooo on my wavelength.....great minds think alike eh
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the introverted, intelligent, well-read and soul-owning person, Facebook couldn't be less of a necessity.

I left about six months ago, though even when I did have an account, I visited once a week or so. Totally pointless.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 16, 2011
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.