The Student Room Group

Sperm Donation? Would you?

Scroll to see replies

18 years time you'll be 39?
So you're 11?
I thought you needed to be 18 to donate sperm?
Original post by psychojonas
So you're 11?

Oh dear.
Reply 22
So you're 11?

:s-smilie: You lost 10 somewhere in your math.

Pssst I hope you get that A you are predicted in A2 Math. Sorry I couldn't resist!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BCUciaran
His parents? Its gona be a boy :eek::nt: lol jk!
But seriously its not something I rushed into but basically I won't see the kid until they are 18 (even at that they may not want to know and i'm cool either way) but if they do come knocking I would be more than happy to do be involved as much as asked. I would respect what ever decision is made.

Btw it will be used to 'impregnate' 10 people:yikes:. I actually just remembered this part even though I have been thinking about this most of today.. anyway its ok because i'll be coming upto my 40's, i can deal with 10 18 year olds knocking my door.

It's great that you're happy with it, I'm not slating it - I just personally couldn't do it myself! :smile:
So you're 11?

"A2 Predictions

ABC (Maths, Psychology, Physics)"

Oh no.
Reply 25
Original post by hassi94
"A2 Predictions

Oh no.

LMAO, they must just be handing out those A's now.
I always planned to adopt kids if I ever settled down with someone - I could not in good faith have biological kids with anyone so long as there are orphaned or unwanted children in the world, and I do not understand how anyone could want to. Are so many people really slaves to the impulse to have kids? The only way I'd ever pass on my genetics is through sperm donation. I might yet do it, I certainly don't have an objection to doing so.
(edited 12 years ago)
If I were a man, there's no way I'd ever donate sperm. It's a good thing to do for people who can't have kids of their own, don't get me wrong, but the thought of not playing a part in my kids' lives would horrify me. Not to mention that you could have TEN children running around...

It would, in all honesty, put me off dating someone I knew they'd donated sperm. I know that's harsh, and I'd like to believe I could move past it, but I honestly don't know if I'd be able to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Passing on my families genetics to a child would probably be classed as a crima against humanity... :/
Reply 29
I think the OP's doing a great thing :smile: I don't know if I'd ever be able to donate eggs (haven't really given it much thought, tbh) but if you're making someone else's/a couple's life much happier by giving them a child, then hats off to you!
Reply 30
Can some explain the rationale behiond the lack of annoymity?
Reply 31
Original post by Fusion
Can some explain the rationale behiond the lack of annoymity?

I believe donors used to be able to choose whether or not they wanted the child to be able to contact them when they turned 18. However that changed a few years ago and now all children produced using a sperm donor have the right to contact the donor the same way an adopted child can contact their biological parents when they turn 18. The law was introduced because it was thought that everyone should be able to contact their biological parents when they reach adulthood if they so wish.

There is no legal connection between the donor and child, so the child (or the child’s parents) couldn’t turn up at the donor’s house demanding money, as someone suggested earlier in the thread. Or if something happened to the child’s parent/s then the donor is under no obligation to step in, he probably wouldn’t even be made aware anything had happened.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
I always planned to adopt kids if I ever settled down with someone - I could not in good faith have biological kids with anyone so long as there are orphaned or unwanted children in the world, and I do not understand how anyone could want to. Are so many people really slaves to the impulse to have kids? The only way I'd ever pass on my genetics is through sperm donation. I might yet do it, I certainly don't have an objection to doing so.

I am. :frown: I'd love to adopt but I just can't see myself adopting. The need for that biological relation is strong. Kudos to you though, you're planning to do a very honorable thing.

Original post by Angela_Beth
If I were a man, there's no way I'd ever donate sperm. It's a good thing to do for people who can't have kids of their own, don't get me wrong, but the thought of not playing a part in my kids' lives would horrify me. Not to mention that you could have TEN children running around...

In regards to the OP, the above. I just couldn't live without any sort of influence in my biological children's lives.
Original post by hassi94
"A2 Predictions

Oh no.

Original post by BCUciaran
:s-smilie: You lost 10 somewhere in your math.

Pssst I hope you get that A you are predicted in A2 Math. Sorry I couldn't resist!

Haha, c'mon guys, we're all prone to errors :tongue:
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I am. :frown: I'd love to adopt but I just can't see myself adopting. The need for that biological relation is strong. Kudos to you though, you're planning to do a very honorable thing.

See, I just don't get that. Why is their genetic makeup important? What's important is how I raise them, what values I give them, and how they end up treating fellow human beings, surely? Contributing to the gene pool is important for the species, if not for some individuals like myself, but I believe that in an ideal world it should be a lot more clearly separated out from the actual activity of raising children.

I don't begrudge you for it, I just don't get it. :dontknow:
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
See, I just don't get that. Why is their genetic makeup important? What's important is how I raise them, what values I give them, and how they end up treating fellow human beings, surely? Contributing to the gene pool is important for the species, if not for some individuals like myself, but I believe that in an ideal world it should be a lot more clearly separated out from the actual activity of raising children.

I don't begrudge you for it, I just don't get it. :dontknow:

Probably egoism in me. It's also a universal feeling hence why it's common for children to search for their biological parents, I don't want to deal with that. I want my love for them to be enough without them wanting more. There's probably some sort of biological basis for this. :dontknow:

Although not exactly comparable, why aren't you doing all that you could to save lives? How could you in good faith buy Skirm when that money could have feed a child for 6 months+?
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Probably egoism in me. It's also a universal feeling hence why it's common for children to search for their biological parents, I don't want to deal with that. I want my love for them to be enough without them wanting more. There's probably some sort of biological basis for this. :dontknow:

Although not exactly comparable, why aren't you doing all that you could to save lives? How could you in good faith buy Skirm when that money could have feed a child for 6 months+?

I do do a lot for charities - whenever I can I donate to the RSPB and WWF and I'd actually like to enter the voluntary sector in conservation, first as a volunteer and then perhaps as a paid warden or researcher, but if I tried to parcel out a bit of cash for every cause I found worthy, then I'd be either bankrupt or just scraping by. Beyond what I find really important - conservation and environmental protection - everything else is of similar merit to me anyway, so if I were to start funding one other charity, say Cancer Research UK, then I'd feel compelled to start funding the RSPCA or NSPCC as well, because from a logical point of view I find them all equally worthy. Ideally everyone should give a little (or a lot, if you swing that way) to the charities that they really really care about, rather than sacrifice everything and mete out bits of money to every charity of some value to humanity.

There are enough humans in the developed world to comfortably support all the worthy causes, all the disease research, poverty alleviation, water aid, conservation and other charities out there, and still have cash left over, but I can't be held responsible if other people do not choose to try and make that difference and if some causes which I can't practicably donate to are underfunded.

The decision to have kids is a unique one, though, as you acknowledged - it's very different from factoring in charity to a budget. Money is transient and finite, but love is vague and abstract. I can only practically give so much money, but I can give love as much as I want, freely. Without digging myself into a logical hole, it's hard to justify giving money to causes which are not close to my heart but I still feel are worthy, but it's so easy to change a child's life forever by opening up my heart, that I would be insane not to do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Yep, I plan on doing it, actually.
Reply 38
Original post by Saudade

Original post by Saudade
No. And consider that your future partner might be freaked out at the idea.

To be honest, if they're freaked out about it thats their own problem. Nothing wrong with doing it.
I think donating is a great thing to do. I have to say though, I am completely against anonymity. Donors should never be forced to make contact, but the child should be able to have a name and some details. I know if I were concieved through donor sperm/eggs, I would want to know the name, and why they chose to donate. I would never intrude on their life or turn up on their doorstep! I would respect their decisions.

As for whether I would donate my eggs...I have to say, the process is very offputting. It is more of a commitment than donating blood or putting your name on an organ donor register...it involves lots of injections and a minor operation, among all the travel expenses you'll incur etc. And I am scared of needles :redface:

But I think it's a lovely thing to do. I would only consider myself a donor, not a parent in any way, shape or form. It can't really be compared to adoption. When you carry a baby in your womb you have a big influence on the way they develop, and you make decisions for the baby..that is parenting. But having my eggs taken isn't parenting at all. That said, I would definitely wonder whether the child looked like me, or more like the mum! I would be happy to meet them if they wanted to when they become adults

Actually, as I am gay, I may have to make use of donor sperm in the future (or maybe I'll decide to adopt), but I'm not sure I would donate my own eggs because of the fear of the whole procedure and the needles
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending