The Student Room Group

Strikes - why don't sections of the military ever strike?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
Well yes, there is that, but if things got really bad... the underlying factor to prevent them committing mutiny would be the fear of the consequences if they were unsuccessful.

I don't think so. Soldiers are no longer shot at dawn for cowardice. The sanctions available are not that strong. Overwhelmingly, what makes soldiers do dangerous things in terrible conditions day after day is the wish to stand by their mates coupled with professional pride.
I dont think Doctors strike either...
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
I don't think so. Soldiers are no longer shot at dawn for cowardice. The sanctions available are not that strong. Overwhelmingly, what makes soldiers do dangerous things in terrible conditions day after day is the wish to stand by their mates coupled with professional pride.

This I supose... Cameraderie does play a big role in keeping soldiers going in awful conditions...

I suppose I should clarify what I meant by "Terrible" conditions, as War is often by it's nature, nasty...

What I meant was if they were being seriously failed by the military itself, not necessarily if the conditions in which they were in were bad, so say... if the military didn't provide them with enough food, proper equipment and so on, and on a large scale, not just one small group of soldiers...
Reply 23
the armed forces cannot, and im almost certain would not ever strike.

that is why when it comes to cutting costs successive governments can reduce the armed forces funding with very little backlash.
Reply 24
Just like doctors and the police, their services are considered too vital for strikes to be allowed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending