The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Craig_D
What annoys me most is that this woman's opinions have been given the oxygen of publicity. She doesn't deserve to have her vile opinions so widely heard.

Don't be wet.

I understand everyone must display their reflex of disgust in order to keep up appearances to their peers, but Jesus stop trying to out do each other in showing how offended you are in order to get brownie points for fitting in with the ideological status quo of the political classes.

It is boring and painfully unconvincing.
Reply 21
also, the woman was technicially correct about one thing despite her foul manners-- mass immigration has ruined the country.
That letter really does smack of "you had an empire, now its payback".
Well good on him for writing the letter. I, however, watched the video, posted my opinion, then moved on. I don't bother myself with people like her. I have other things to do and care about.
I just feel so sorry for her little kid.
Reply 25
Original post by FluxD
Don't be wet.

I understand everyone must display their reflex of disgust in order to keep up appearances to their peers, but Jesus stop trying to out do each other in showing how offended you are in order to get brownie points for fitting in with the ideological status quo of the political classes.

i love your analysis. really spot on and humorous too. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by lulubel
i love your analysis. really spot on and humorous too. :smile:

I like debating subjects deemed taboo by whatever ideological flavour of the month, because there you will discover the most illogical reasoning.

I liken myself to Socrates the Gadfly; I hover around ****.
I immediately rule out an argument from anyone who starts to deploy the 'British history and the Empire are the biggest crimes in history' argument.
Reply 28
Original post by FluxD
I like debating subjects deemed taboo by whatever ideological flavour of the month, because there you will discover the most illogical reasoning.

I liken myself to Socrates the Gadfly; I hover around ****.

i agree. memes are a powerful thing it seems.
Reply 29
Original post by FluxD
Don't be wet.

I never said I was offended, I'm not, it would be silly to try and take offence on behalf of other people; though I do still disagree with her. She's free to have her opinion, but she seems like an attention seeker (who else would make such a show in a public place?), and I don't see why her opinions deserve attention any more than those of the next person. Read the comments on the Youtube video by Americans, Canadians, Australians, other Europeans and so on, the way they are worded (her opinions being generalised to those of white people in the country as a whole) would make anyone think she has been appointed the UK's official spokesperson for immigration.
Reply 30
I don't really agree with the letter. Obviously I disagree with the tram woman, but not for the reasons given in the letter.

First, it's a little hyperbolic to call immigrants the "backbone of this nation's economy and culture". They play an important role - sure - but as a small minority of the population they aren't its 'backbone' - what is keeping the nation standing.

Second, her choice of language is really irrelevant. Some people find it more natural to express themselves with swear words: to pick on her choice of language has unsavoury undertones of insulting her class and social group.

Third, and most importantly, it is questionable whether we should have laws against her expressing her views. Loudly expressing them on a tram is inappropriate and perhaps there should be some minor offence against doing that - in this case a word from a police officer to be less outspoken on public transport in the future would do it. But when it comes to her actual views? Free speech is important. Having a law against people expressing their opinions doesn't prevent people from thinking those things or spreading their views - it just increases the rage and the sense of justice. If we let people express what they think then their opinions can be argued and debated openly and frankly; convicting them makes the state look heavy-handed, damages the lot of those who have been lead by society to think in that way - why should the kid have to suffer for her mother's opinions? - and is against the principles of liberal democracy.

A civilised society allows its citizens to air their grievances and concerns; it doesn't lock them up because it doesn't like what they're saying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
While there will be arguments regarding the validity of Emma West's rant, I wonder about her sanity. She clearly attempted to create a hostile situation by verbally attacking the people around her while holding a child. She escalated the situation by continuing on with any regard to the safety of the child. What if cooler heads did not prevail? What could have happened to that innocent child? Remarkably, the people she attacked showed more concern for the children than she did herself.

I think Child Services needs to assess this closely as she clearly endangered this child and put the child in harms way. How many times has done this?

No parent in their right mind would ever position a child where the child may pay the consequences for their actions. Emma, you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are fit enough to be a parent.
Reply 32
The letter was itself racist. Not only did she attack the English for our history but she also implied that immigrants and ethnic minorities were more hard working than the indigenous population. This is not only racist but also factually incorrect.
http://www.poverty.org.uk/47/index.shtml
Original post by Roshniroxy
http://rachycakes.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/an-open-letter-to-emma-west-the-racist-on-the-tram/

Personally I think this is a fit,applaudable, and stern reply to people like her.

What are your views ?

Who is this vile, pompous bag of scum? Isn't he so wonderful, grandstanding about how offended he is? Damn, I can barely make out who he is with all that light shining out of his arse. This onslaught of self-righteous puke sickens me more than anything the woman said.
Whenever you hear terms like "multicultural", "multi-ethnic" and "multi racial" it always seems like somebody is attempting to promote/sell a broken down and bruised country. Sure, it may be completely devoid of any self-worth but at least it's multicultural!

It is simply abhorrent to abuse innocent people on a tram. Yet the worldwide response to this drunken fool is terrifying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by LurkerintheDark
Who is this vile, pompous bag of scum? Isn't he so wonderful, grandstanding about how offended he is? Damn, I can barely make out who he is with all that light shining out of his arse. This onslaught of self-righteous puke sickens me more than anything the woman said.

First of all its not 'he', its her. Secondly nothing that I wrote was 'self-righteous puke', it was simply me expressing my opinion about how I feel that open letter is a good reply ! Thirdly you are deluded to compare me with that idiot of species- Emma West.

And oh, bye the way I am offended, I have every right to be offended. You can't expect me to sit by and watch every tom dick and harry be publicly racists towards me and many others and not even comment about it. You must be an idiot to think that someone can listen to all the **** that came out of her mouth and not even get offended !
Reply 36
People who write 'open letters' are - in my two and a bit decades of experience - without exception, *****.
Reply 37
Original post by Craig_D
What annoys me most is that this woman's opinions have been given the oxygen of publicity. She doesn't deserve to have her vile opinions so widely heard.
There speaks a natural thought-cop, er censor, er moderator.
Reply 38
Original post by Roshniroxy
And oh, bye the way I am offended, I have every right to be offended. You can't expect me to sit by and watch every tom dick and harry be publicly racists towards me and many others and not even comment about it. You must be an idiot to think that someone can listen to all the **** that came out of her mouth and not even get offended !
There is an obvious solution to this. If members of immigrant groups don't like hearing the native people express their displeasure at the colonisation of England, decolonise us please. Everybody wins!
Reply 39
Letter writer cares too much. Move on.

Latest

Trending

Trending