The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How competetive is UCL?

I've applied to do French single honours and although my predicted grades are higher that what they're asking for (predicted grades: ABB, entry requirements:BBC) having looked around this website I'm beginning to feel inadequate. Most people seem to be predicted AAA and have had A*'s in practically everything at GCSE whereas my results were: 3A*'s, 3A's, 4B's and 2C's.

How many applicants per place are there for French/ or the university in general?
Reply 1
That department isn't very competitive. Ignore other people's predicted grades, as these factors are beyond your control.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Well it's more the fact that I haven't heard anything from them yet but I applied in time so I suppose I have as good a chance as anyone :s:.
Reply 3
It's a game of patience I'm afraid. I still haven't hear anything (applied for Politics and East European Studies).
Reply 4
I suppose so...it does make you worry slightly though.
I've also applied for single honours french at UCL (originally with spanish but changed) and have heard nothing so don't worry too much! All we can do is wait :smile: I hadn't realised that the entrance requirements were so low for the department - just shows it couldn't be THAT competitive *fingers crossed*. Don't suppose you happen to know whether there's the option of starting another langauge when you get there, say French and Polish etc. I'm starting to wish I hadn't chosen single honours...
Reply 6
I am predicted AAABB and havn't heard anything from any of the schools for which i applied. I am an international student from the US so that should help a bit, but i really have no idea where i am going to get in. But UCL is by far my top choice. :biggrin:

Applied:
Kings: Business Management
LSE: International Relations
UCL: Economics, and Economics and Business w/ East European studies
Queen Mary: Econ+Finance
Reply 7
Hey, I applied for International Relations at the LSE too! How come it isn't your first choice?
Reply 8
Simply because i like UCL's environment better, LSE is very business like and professional, while UCL has more of a college feel to it, and thats important considering i am coming from thousands of miles away! And not to mention that IR at LSE is nearly impossible to get into. Last year they had something like 1300 applicants and something like 60 enrolled! :eek:

I want to go to UCL so much, even if i got into LSE i would go to UCL over it hands down.
Reply 9
swim730885
Simply because i like UCL's environment better, LSE is very business like and professional, while UCL has more of a college feel to it, and thats important considering i am coming from thousands of miles away! And not to mention that IR at LSE is nearly impossible to get into. Last year they had something like 1300 applicants and something like 60 enrolled! :eek:

I want to go to UCL so much, even if i got into LSE i would go to UCL over it hands down.

From http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2006/courses/International_Relations/L250.htm.

Applications 2004: 1053
First year students 2004: 44

:wink:
Reply 10
thanks for the correction :smile:
Reply 11
viciouscircle
I've also applied for single honours french at UCL (originally with spanish but changed) and have heard nothing so don't worry too much! All we can do is wait :smile: I hadn't realised that the entrance requirements were so low for the department - just shows it couldn't be THAT competitive *fingers crossed*. Don't suppose you happen to know whether there's the option of starting another langauge when you get there, say French and Polish etc. I'm starting to wish I hadn't chosen single honours...

Haha I did exactly the same thing I was originally going to apply for French and Spanish but then changed my mind, I thought I'd have a better chance of getting into the course if I only did single honours. I'm starting to regret it too. I hope we can change...

Latest

Trending

Trending