The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
J2K
apd35 - Probably a really really silly question - but, what's RAG? :s-smilie:

Sorry I always assume people know what it is, when most people don't. It's the charity fundraising society which most universities have a branch of, it's good fun and raises loads of money for charity. Trinity raised about £10k last term.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
In fact, you should be grateful. No, seriously, Maths at Cambridge has the fairest admissions procedure from all university courses in the UK. Having STEP allows colleges to give out more offers than they would have done otherwise, and then it's up to those people to put the effort in.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. That makes me feel better about the whole thing :tongue:
Reply 42
Omg, haven't been on TSR in over a month - to those who do not know me, I'm a 2nd year economist. :wavey:
Reply 43
Also, see if our Student union president is awake (well at least if his computer is on and connected to the internet) with Gavdar

NOTE: needs sound for full effect
Reply 44
Does he have a laptop with a GPS device or is that just to see if his desktop is on?
Reply 45
Speleo
Does he have a laptop with a GPS device or is that just to see if his desktop is on?

It's done on his room's network/internet connection. Someone I know, who knows quite a bit about computers, set it up. It checks whether the connection from his room is live or not and then says awake/asleep accordingly. The map is based over around where his room is in college.
Hi all, nice to see that Trinity posts are growing.
I cannt be the only 2007 medic here...surely not:redface:
that gavdar thing is HOT SH*T.
my classmate got pooled INTO trinity from Caius or w/e its called.

hes amazing and gonna be doing history.
Reply 49
mickeymouse123
that gavdar thing is HOT SH*T.

It's quality, isn't it? It's spreading round my word of mouth and I think the guy put a link from the main TCSU page.
Reply 50
That is possibly contentious. Oxford does not ask for STEP because it does not consider basing offers on it to be fair. There are a lot of people who have never heard of STEP, whose schools have never examined it, whose teachers have never looked at a paper before. These happen to be mainly state schools. Independent schools however do know about it and can teach it, to whatever degree it can be taught, or at least get the student used to it in some way.

I believe that the Oxford test is more fair, because it's conducted by Oxford and not the school and there is less knowledge about what it's going to contain, though it might be a circular argument :rolleyes:

What do yu think?
Reply 51
Autocrat
That is possibly contentious. Oxford does not ask for STEP because it does not consider basing offers on it to be fair. There are a lot of people who have never heard of STEP, whose schools have never examined it, whose teachers have never looked at a paper before. These happen to be mainly state schools. Independent schools however do know about it and can teach it, to whatever degree it can be taught, or at least get the student used to it in some way.

I believe that the Oxford test is more fair, because it's conducted by Oxford and not the school and there is less knowledge about what it's going to contain, though it might be a circular argument :rolleyes:

What do yu think?

I'd just like to add that then there's this international students who has been mailing and phoning around everywhere he can think of just to try to arrange to sit STEP in his own country :rolleyes: ; Oxford's admissions might not be more fair, but it certainly is simpler logistically.
Reply 52
lol has that still not been sorted?! Did you contact Camb to see if they really meant it lol

If you can't find anywhere you'll have to a) contact them about not sitting it at all b) fly over to England to sit it! c) get OCR/a friendly school in England to fax it over and hope that Camb trusts your teachers to set it for you
Reply 53
I feel very old all of a sudden. :frown:
Reply 54
Cexy
I feel very old all of a sudden. :frown:

That's probably because you are :p:
Reply 55
Less of it, oik!
Reply 56
does anyone know whether it's particularly difficult to get into Trinity - SPS ? is it renowned for tough competition?
Reply 57
bronze
does anyone know whether it's particularly difficult to get into Trinity - SPS ? is it renowned for tough competition?

It's the same as any other college pretty much, if you're up to standard, you'll get in.
Reply 58
Not sure how reliable this information is but... according to a guy called N9ne I spoke to last year (who's currently studying Econ at Trinity), Trinity's applicants are on average stronger than the applicants of other colleges, in some ways making it harder to get into (even despite there being more places available in many cases). Then again, Trinitarians would say that wouldn't they :wink:.

Hahaha... I'm not going to dispute what was said hehehe...

- Jeff
Reply 59
J2K
Not sure how reliable this information is but... according to a guy called N9ne I spoke to last year (who's currently studying Econ at Trinity), Trinity's applicants are on average stronger than the applicants of other colleges, in some ways making it harder to get into (even despite there being more places available in many cases).

I'd love to know what N9ne based that on.

Latest